PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft acknowledges drafting woes, says approach is changing

We sure as hell don't want Bob Kraft meddling with the draft picks or the board. We already saw what happened when Parcells left and Kraft and Bobby Grier ran the draft. Meddling owners almost always screw up a franchise, just look at Dallas but that is not the worst example.

It is OK if Kraft demands that BB make a change as long as Kraft does not start making the picks. And we do not know what the source of the terrible drafting is, do we? Caserio? McDaniels? BB himself? I suspect McDaniels based on his apalling track record so I was none too happy to see McDaniels at the 'Bama pro day. He should be banned for life from ever being involved in the Patriots draft process; Nike could make better picks.

Agree 1000%. The solution is NOT to involve McDaniels more. McDaniels recently visiting Florida by himself, I basically don't even want to consider Trask or Pitts now. The last time McDaniels did a solo visit involving Florida for the Pats, we selected WR Chad Jackson with our first round pick and then he thought Tim Tebow was a 1st rounder while in Denver. Don't even get me started on NKeal Harry. Cross off Florida players entirely from our draft board now....

Last edited:
I want to know who evaluates our defensive backs in our draft board. that person needs to be miles off from the current DB draft board rankings...

No, I just use my brain.

The drafts sucked from 2006-2008, and people tried pinning that on Pioli, despite BB's having final say. Then, the 2009 draft was

View attachment 31836

which is mostly a pile of garbage. Without Vollmer and Edelman, it's a complete bust of a draft. 2010 was

View attachment 31837

Which is 2 excellent picks (DMac, Gronk), one guy who was a very limited thumper (Spikes) who was a successful pick in his role, and a multi-time killer who put up great numbers in his time.

So, basically, 24 draft picks to come up with 5 players (Remember that Chung washed out at first) and a murderer. And that's part of the Not-Pioli, but BB-Floyd Reese era.

Things got better after that, for a 3 year stretch, then went back to being mostly ****. So the bad drafts don't track Pioli. The successful drafts don't track Floyd Reese, either.

And are you seriously going to try blaming Caserio for Easley, Jones and Harry, just to name 3 obvious examples of what were surely BB overrides?

So drafting sucked from 2005-2008 and 2013-now (McDaniels in Foxboro coincidentally during these exact periods), and Patriot drafts were EXCELLENT from 2009-2012 and 2001-2004 when McDaniels was not in Foxboro. Got it.

So drafting sucked from 2005-2008 and 2013-now (McDaniels in Foxboro coincidentally during these exact periods), and Patriot drafts were EXCELLENT from 2009-2012 and 2001-2004 when McDaniels was not in Foxboro. Got it.
???

The drafts weren't all excellent from 2009-2012. They did produce some excellent players, but that's not the same thing (See 2008, with Mayo and Slater, for an example).

> I quite liked the 2020 draft. ... ...and I think one of Asiasi or Keene (maybe both) will have decent careers.

Based on their FA signings, the Patriots have acknowledged that Asiasi and Keene are busts....flops...like most of the other picks in the last few years, but the ultimate disaster has to be Harry. When you consider all the other WRs they could have gotten, such as Metcalf, then this must qualify as one of the worst first rounds picks the Patriots have ever made...and it hastened Brady's departure. Considering McDaniels track record at Denver, I have got to believe that he was in on the Harry disaster.

Absolutely correct. We take Chad Jackson and Laurence Maroney (BUSTS), then he goes to Denver and takes Tim Tebow in the 1st round while decimating the entire Denver roster, they lost his last 10 games before he gets fired, then he goes to St Louis runs the worst offense in the league, come back to New England and we IMMEDIATELY start drafting crappy again from 2013-now. Ask any Denver fan about this guy's evaluation acumen.

???

The drafts weren't all excellent from 2009-2012. They did produce some excellent players, but that's not the same thing (See 2008, with Mayo and Slater, for an example).

I just meant we got multiple foundational or elite guys: Gronk, Edelman, McCourty, Chung, Hightower, Chandler Jones, Hernandez. That's a lot of core guys who became the foundation for the next 3 rings.

It's interesting that the trend on alot of the BB draft classes that didn't pan out always have some random mid to late round Olineman / Special Teams Ace / Project type that pans out that makes you forget how bad some of the other picks were.

That said I understand no teams hit 100% of their picks. I think alot of the frustrations are coming from not drafting impact players early on for specific positions (WR probably highlighting that list) but instead trading up or selecting guys who are projected to be 7th round picks or udfa's. It's a legitimate gripe. I would love to know what changed in the process.

I just meant we got multiple foundational or elite guys: Gronk, Edelman, McCourty, Chung, Hightower, Chandler Jones, Hernandez. That's a lot of core guys who became the foundation for the next 3 rings.
They got Mayo in 2008. Try again. Better yet, stop with the nonsense about McDaniels. It's not just bad trolling, it's rank foolishness.

They got Mayo in 2008. Try again. Better yet, stop with the nonsense about McDaniels. It's not just bad trolling, it's rank foolishness.
Not sure what you mean by Mayo, but he was fried after his injury in 2013. He wasn’t much of a factor by the time they finally ended the 10 year drought.

To be fair Mayo got injured halfway through 2014 and never played again so he really didn’t contribute to those championships.

The 08 draft was bad. No way around it.
‘08 draft was disappointing coming off of the most horrific loss in sports history. I thought Mayo was over drafted. He was a good player, but not worthy of being drafted that high like Patrick Willis before him and Kuechly later.

Wheatley was the OG of drafting the undersized, injury prone DB’s in the 2nd round.

Blowing a 3rd round pick on a QB was unacceptable.

The legend of Shawn Crable and the media/fans obsession with his skinny legs.

Whilite was awful but I don’t expect much from pick 4-7.

Slater is obviously awesome, but it’s not good when a special teams player is one of the guys headlining your draft.

The 08 draft was bad. No way around it.
Sorry, but you don't get to make that claim after you already moved the goalposts to "I just meant we got multiple foundational or elite guys"

Either '08 counts as a good draft, or '09 and '11 don't.

To be fair Mayo got injured halfway through 2014 and never played again so he really didn’t contribute to those championships.
That's not his argument though.

I would love to know what changed in the process.

You and me both.

A couple years ago....I read a book about the Pats...one of them books...maybe Holley......I forget, but it was stated that the Pats also evaluate the results of their scouts BASED on how said player played in Foxboro. For example, if the scouts had a low grade on DK Metcalf....and we avoided him....the scout wasn't graded on that recommendation because Metcalf didn't play in our Perkins-Ernhardt offense variation...

Wonder if changed our grading scale for our scouts...after missing on guys like Metcalf (who I was screaming at the TV for the Pats to take when they took Harry, LOL), AJ Brown, etc..etc...

And another story I remember....one time Pioli had to grab BB and tell him to not draft a certain player with bad character...Pioli had said something like, "Do you want to do Cleveland all over again?"....

Either way...the draft is a crapshoot...and this year's draft is a complete crap shoot other than Lawrence, Sewell, and Pitts...IMO. Changing the process can't hurt any worse...

Mayo was in position to make a play on the ball on the first Giants TD in SB46 but had his back to the play. I’ll never forget that. Dude was a tackle machine in the regular season but never did anything when it mattered. Almost the opposite of Hightower who is one of the all time Pats playoff performers.

I want to know who evaluates our defensive backs in our draft board. that person needs to be miles off from the current DB draft board rankings...
Except when it comes to the undrafted guys. Wouldn't mind if they only picked DBs for their UDFA class

BTW, I really wish Kraft would shut up about the "We gave Brady the ability to leave" nonsense. What they did was bargain away the right to use the Franchise tag, in return for keeping Brady for another year on a ****ty deal for the player. It was that, give brady a better deal in 2019, or refuse to put the clause in and then have to pay Brady the Franchise tag money at season 's, and neither of the other options was something they were willing to do.

We sure as hell don't want Bob Kraft meddling with the draft picks or the board. We already saw what happened when Parcells left and Kraft and Bobby Grier ran the draft. Meddling owners almost always screw up a franchise, just look at Dallas but that is not the worst example.

It is OK if Kraft demands that BB make a change as long as Kraft does not start making the picks. And we do not know what the source of the terrible drafting is, do we? Caserio? McDaniels? BB himself? I suspect McDaniels based on his apalling track record so I was none too happy to see McDaniels at the 'Bama pro day. He should be banned for life from ever being involved in the Patriots draft process; Nike could make better picks.
Hahaha, do you really believe Bill doesn't have absolute 100% veto power over any draft pick? Bill is 100% responsible for the draft, he's the GM.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back