PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft acknowledges drafting woes, says approach is changing

Mayo was in position to make a play on the ball on the first Giants TD in SB46 but had his back to the play. I’ll never forget that. Dude was a tackle machine in the regular season but never did anything when it mattered. Almost the opposite of Hightower who is one of the all time Pats playoff performers.
That was my main gripe with Mayo. He racked up tackles, but didn’t have much of an impact.

Hahaha, do you really believe Bill doesn't have absolute 100% veto power over any draft pick? Bill is 100% responsible for the draft, he's the GM.
"Bill would never let Kraft tell him what to do. He's got full control, and it's 100% or nothing!"

Also

"Bill always defers to his offensive coordinator when it comes to drafting players, even though it might seem otherwise based upon the obvious pattern of drafting mostly defense high and offense lower."

What's with this Mayo ****?

Bet you guys don't like mayo on your sammiches...ye heathens...

There were so many great players between 2004-2014 and I'd argue that those Patriot teams were the most decade dominant team that didn't win a Superbowl.....5 AFC title games and 2 Superbowls....it was a long ten years...with each season decided by injuries/bounces of the ball.....

Jerod Mayo is one of the all time greats. GTFO with that garbage....

Shot across the bow by Kraft on the good ship Belichick.

He took a shot at:

- recent drafts
- no weapons for Cam
- Stidham not getting a shot

All done publicly. What the hell is going on here? Wonder how Bill feels about this? I really wonder how Linda feels! Odd times in New England.

Shot across the bow by Kraft on the good ship Belichick.

He took a shot at:

- recent drafts
- no weapons for Cam
- Stidham not getting a shot

All done publicly. What the hell is going on here? Wonder how Bill feels about this? I really wonder how Linda feels! Odd times in New England.
He also made fun at the FAcy spending spree, saying "we used to make fun of teams that won the offseason" and here we are. These are not resounding votes of confidence and completely out of character.

Maybe he's finally realized after dishing out of his pocket $165M (record) in guarantees, that not having Brady to cover for all the draft screw ups, is going to cost him dearly in the upcoming years. Maybe Kraft needs to go to the Brady/Bucs forum too. LMAO

He also made fun at the FAcy spending spree, saying "we used to make fun of teams that won the offseason" and here we are. These are not resounding votes of confidence and completely out of character.

Maybe he's finally realized after dishing out of his pocket $165M (record) in guarantees, that not having Brady to cover for all the draft screw ups, is going to cost him dearly in the upcoming years. Maybe Kraft needs to go to the Brady/Bucs forum too. LMAO

Here's a guy not used to losing. The Patriots have been a pretty good team his whole tenure if you count the bledsoe years went to 10 Superbowls and won 6

So he's not used to the product we saw last year. Also maybe realizing without brady to cover up the mistakes we are going to have to pay more for talent.

Here's a guy not used to losing. The Patriots have been a pretty good team his whole tenure if you count the bledsoe years went to 10 Superbowls and won 6

So he's not used to the product we saw last year. Also maybe realizing without brady to cover up the mistakes we are going to have to pay more for talent.
Him trotting out the "But Brady at the end of 2019!" was pathetic, though. He should have known better.

I know. That's why they went out and spent big in FA.

Dugger graded poorly in coverage according to PFF and is allergic to making a play

Uche and Jennings didn't show much or else Judon wouldn't have gotten big bucks.

TE's....they're too easy.

The K got cut.

A C retired.

Herron and Maluia nothing are nothing special.
Dugger did what he was asked to do: don’t get burned by big plays over the top and make sure you wrap up your tackles. He’ll be let loose this year. You’ll see more of a Lawyer Milloy-type player. I guarantee it.

Him trotting out the "But Brady at the end of 2019!" was pathetic, though. He should have known better.

Kraft is not wrong. Brady isn't beyond reproach on how that season ended.

Brady had a hand in losing to the dolphins throwing a pick-6

Then in the playoff game defense gave up 14 points and held them to 0 in the 2nd half. He needed to put up 3 points in the 2nd half of a playoff game at home and he couldn't.

But the absolute hypocrisy of you whining about Kraft making a comment about Brady.

"Bill would never let Kraft tell him what to do. He's got full control, and it's 100% or nothing!"

Also

"Bill always defers to his offensive coordinator when it comes to drafting players, even though it might seem otherwise based upon the obvious pattern of drafting mostly defense high and offense lower."

3 first round picks on Harry, Michel, Wynn. So no, they are spending high on offense and busting.

It is obvious Kraft is reeling both from the state of his team and Brady's SB win in Tampa with a loaded team. I give him credit for being so candid and taking multiple shots at Bill. His comment about Brady was not so much a shot at Brady but at the state of the team. It is so interesting to me that Kraft has echoed everything we have said on these boards the last several months - the sucky drafts, the putrid roster last year, Bill not giving Stidham a shot and the FA cash spree that we used to make fun of other teams for doing. All of it has been great validation to many of us.

Kraft critical of BB the GM. Thats a first.

He must be really be pixxed that Brady left and won another basically because of terrible drafting or ignoring the needs at WR and TE. I cant imagine that BB likes Kraft spouting off to media. It would not shock me if BB hung up the whistle after this season.

So even Kraft admits the drafting hasn’t been good enough. Yet I’m sure there will still be chicken littles on here doing whatever mental gymnastics necessary to dispute that.

So even Kraft admits the drafting hasn’t been good enough. Yet I’m sure there will still be chicken littles on here doing whatever mental gymnastics necessary to dispute that.
The Pat's pick so low in the draft that there is nobody there but jags.

Plus, 6 rings.

The vibe I got from Kraft was that he recognized the poor roster management last few years , inevitably lead to last year. That includes draft, FA and roster turnover.

He fired a warning shot. Interesting timing on it considering the draft is around the corner. It's as if he wants to keep the momentum from FA going into the draft. I'd never allow myself to get too excited for a trade up for a player with hype behind them..but this season that might change.

Mr. Lance....come on down!!!!

Does this mean we won't take a 6th round DB in the 2nd round?

It's not like the brady situation was unavoidable either. If they gave him his contract in 2018 after the superbowl he doesnt leave in 2019

Also maybe he realizes like all of us watching brady last year tear it up, that the talent level on this team was so garbage and is a large part of why brady left

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back