PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan Report from Patriots training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this in a thread yesterday, but Pat really does a great job of analyzing both trends and players in a manner I don't think is seen elsewhere. Any TV network would be lucky to have him. I don't have Sirius but I'd pay for a subscription just to listen to him talk football for 3 hours.

Kirwan is the only reason I miss SIRIUS radio

Beer is the only reason I miss the toilet.

OK, major thread derailing coming up, and it's all Galeb's fault.

This reminds me of my time in the Navy, when I got woken up in open bay berthing, as an unfortunate sailor screamed everyone awake, when he got awoken by a drunk sailor pissing on him.

That is why you NEVER take a bottom bunk in transient barracks, and if you do, try not to look anything remotely like a urinal.

OK, major thread derailing coming up, and it's all Galeb's fault.

This reminds me of my time in the Navy, when I got woken up in open bay berthing, as an unfortunate sailor screamed everyone awake, when he got awoken by a drunk sailor pissing on him.

That is why you NEVER take a bottom bunk in transient barracks, and if you do, try not to look anything remotely like a urinal.
thread killer.jpg

Well, in a perhaps futile attempt to steer the discussion back to pigskin-related matters, I found it interesting that Kirwan believes the addition of Bennett equips the Patriots to return to the no huddle that worked so well in 2011 before one nameless player's extended encounter with the criminal justice system. Kirwan thinks that both Brady and Jimmy Joe Idaho will benefit from the no huddle option.

Also forgot that they were #2 in sacks last year. Kirwan thinks the loss of C Jones might cause a drop in effectiveness in this area, but allows that Sheard and C Long have the potential to pick up the slack.

The most significant remaining weakness is the 3rd OT, unless Dante can work his usual miracles with Marcus Cannon.

I mentioned this in a thread yesterday, but Pat really does a great job of analyzing both trends and players in a manner I don't think is seen elsewhere. Any TV network would be lucky to have him. I don't have Sirius but I'd pay for a subscription just to listen to him talk football for 3 hours.
Getting it installed tomorrow. Forgot I'll get to listen to him!! Love his book.

I suffered a premature ejaculation at the 5:00 point

I also think Kirwin is one of the better analysts. He understands about some of the "little things" that make the Pats stand out year after year, like the precision of the Pats' practices, and the intensity of effort given. Sometimes because we only get to see what the Pats are doing, we take that for granted.

However I do have one minor disagreement with Kirwin. When he mentions the potential impact of Cyrus Jones on the kicking game, he talked about what a big improvement it would be. I question it because, isn't Julian Edelman one of the most prolific punt returners in league history? D dn't Amendola make several big returns last season as well? I'd love to think Cyrus Jones might be even more dynamic, and save JE and DA from injury risk, but unlike Pat, I think that punt return was a strength of the club.

He and Jim Miller are must listens in the afternoons on Sirius. I purposely cleaned the inside of my car the other day to listen to them at Pats camp. Kirwan had high hopes for Chris Long in this defense citing what Belichick has done in the past with guys like Nink and Vrabel.

He and Jim Miller are must listens in the afternoons on Sirius. I purposely cleaned the inside of my car the other day to listen to them at Pats camp. Kirwan had high hopes for Chris Long in this defense citing what Belichick has done in the past with guys like Nink and Vrabel.

Agree. Mills and Pat kill me.. haha especially with them on Pat's boat in their camp review view. I was crackin up: Real Football Network

Speaking of appointment listening, Jeff Howe now has a daily podcast. Praise Tebus.

However I do have one minor disagreement with Kirwin. When he mentions the potential impact of Cyrus Jones on the kicking game, he talked about what a big improvement it would be. I question it because, isn't Julian Edelman one of the most prolific punt returners in league history? D dn't Amendola make several big returns last season as well? I'd love to think Cyrus Jones might be even more dynamic, and save JE and DA from injury risk, but unlike Pat, I think that punt return was a strength of the club.

The Patriots arguably had their season destroyed by a botched punt return.

Speaking of appointment listening, Jeff Howe now has a daily podcast. Praise Tebus.

Thanks Dawg. Just listened to it. Good stuff. I follow Howe on Twitter. He's real meat n potatoes.

Long makes me think more Will Smith (RIP), Shaun Ellis. Hope I'm wrong. The Nink/Vrabel type to watch for in my opinion is McClellin. When Vrabel came here, he was a bust. When Ninkovich came here, he was camp fodder. They all have DE/OLB versatility, whereas if Long has any versatility, it's to move to DT (questionable though).

I know you didn't make the comparison, but I just think Long-Ninkovich/Vrabel is a strange comparison to make with McClellin on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents