PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Karen Guregian: Pats are at the top or near the top of Reggie Wayne's list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really only need 1 weapon..and i want that to be lloyd

Lloyd is the better option but signing both would be ideal.

Still would rather sign Lloyd, younger and more familiar with the system.

Seems to me that, aside from terminology differences, the "system" is primarily extremely extensive use of pre-determined route options/adjustments based on reads of the defense - in sync with the QB's reads. I think that's mainly what McDaniels introduced in Denver with Orton/Lloyd. But I'd have to guess that the success of Manning-to-Wayne was based on a very similar "system."

Anyway, Lloyd will be 31 this summer; Wayne will turn 35 (during the season, IIRC). And Wayne caught for nearly 1000 yds again this season with a couple scrubs throwing the ball, so I wouldn't think he's quite done yet.

Why would you want those guys playing defense?

Well if we spend all our money on more WRs than we need, we would have to get something out of them. And since this plan leaves nothing left to spend on defense, what other choice is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
But I'd have to guess that the success of Manning-to-Wayne was based on a very similar "system."

The Manning Colts ran a very simple offense - always have. Two formations, WR almost always line up in the same spot, and compared to a lot of teams not a lot of plays. They just executed it at a very high level.

Last edited:
Wayne doesn't really excite me as a FA option. The only way I would like the signing would be if he came cheap.

Exactly.

Wayne would be a really nice one year rental. IMO he may want a lot more than that. I really can't blame him, but I'd rather not he do it on my teams dime.

I'm for signing Welker, Wayne, Colston, and Lloyd.

Whoever can't make it as a 1st or 2nd WR fills in as the 4th and 5th DB. Isn't that the system?

I'll take Branch on a vet min contract a lot younger than Wayne.

Wayne is a way better player than Branch. And when did Branch's agent announce that he's willing to take vet minimum to play here?

I'll take Branch on a vet min contract a lot younger than Wayne.

Anyway, Lloyd will be 31 this summer; Wayne will turn 35 (during the season, IIRC). And Wayne caught for nearly 1000 yds again this season with a couple scrubs throwing the ball, so I wouldn't think he's quite done yet.

8 months younger:

Branch-DOB 7-18-79
Wayne-DOB 11-17-78, will turn 34 during the season

Wayne isn't done. Still has a good amount in the tank...runs great routes..not a speed guy

8 months younger:

Branch-DOB 7-18-79
Wayne-DOB 11-17-78, will turn 34 during the season

The only thing between Branch and Wayne is that Branch will accept a back up role and veteran minimum to stay with the Pats. The question is whether the Pats want Wayne over any other WR free agent they can get in particular Brandon Lloyd.

Comparing Branch and Wayne is a little silly even if they are similar ages. Branch would return as the #3 WR after Welker and someone else (possibly Wayne) and Wayne would most likely be the Pats' #1 outside WR. I think it is likely Branch will be back as a back up. The question is whether Wayne will be here.

Wayne isn't done. Still has a good amount in the tank...runs great routes..not a speed guy

I don't think he is done, but I don't know how much time he has left. You can't expect him to be more than an 1-2 stop gap.

I don't think he is done, but I don't know how much time he has left. You can't expect him to be more than an 1-2 stop gap.

Code:
[B]Year    GS      REC     YAR     YPC     LO      TD[/B]
2011	16	75	960	12.8	56T	04	
2010	16	111	1,355	12.2	50	06	
2009	16	100	1,264	12.6	65T	10	
2008	16	82	1,145	14.0	65T	06	
2007	16	104	1,510	14.5	64	10
Looks rather consistent for mine. Wayne is still playing to a high level.

Code:
[B]Year    GS      REC     YAR     YPC     LO      TD[/B]
2011	16	75	960	12.8	56T	04	
2010	16	111	1,355	12.2	50	06	
2009	16	100	1,264	12.6	65T	10	
2008	16	82	1,145	14.0	65T	06	
2007	16	104	1,510	14.5	64	10
Looks rather consistent for mine. Wayne is still playing to a high level.

Doesn't matter. Most WRs hit the age wall fast and hard in their mid-30. See Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, Cris Carter, Hines Ward, Chad Ochocinco, etc. I can almost guarantee you that Wayne will be really good one year, be mediocre the next, and then retire. It is a standard pattern of great, elite WRs whose careers aren't ended by injuries. Some hold on a year too long like Hines Ward, but most drop to well under 1,000 receiving and see the handwriting on the wall.

Wayne will in the next few years turn to average or worse overnight (well, from one season to the next). It could be as soon as this fall. It could be in 2013. It could be 2014. But is very likely to happen. It is a trend with WRs. Odds are good that he will not have more than a year or two before it happens.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. Most WRs hit the age wall fast and hard in their mid-30. See Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, Cris Carter, Hines Ward, Chad Ochocinco, etc. I can almost guarantee you that Wayne will be really good one year, be mediocre the next, and then retire. It is a standard pattern of great, elite WRs whose careers aren't ended by injuries. Some hold on a year too long like Hines Ward, but most drop to well under 1,000 receiving and see the handwriting on the wall.

Wayne will in the next few years turn to average or worse overnight (well, from one season to the next). It could be as soon as this fall. It could be in 2013. It could be 2014. But is very likely to happen. It is a trend with WRs. Odds are good that he will not have more than a year or two before it happens.

It's not like he'll be getting an offer for a five year contract. They sign him and get 1 or 2 good years out of him and it's a good signing. I don't see what the issue is here.

we will see what the pats will do after the first WR is signed if its crazy money then every WR is going to be looking to get a deal close to that and the pats will only sign a JAG unless they let Welker go and i dont see that happening

i don't see why people are saying we can't afford Lloyd AND Wayne, when there has been talk about Mike Wallace already..... Wallace would command more money than these two combined IMO. Re-signing Welker and then Branch cheap.. then getting these two in would be great. Get a 2/3/4th round WR to return kicks and take some snaps as #4/#5 in depth chart initially and we're good to go...

Welker, Lloyd, Wayne, Drafted WR , Branch

Brandon Lloyd - date of birth 7-5-1981

Reggie Wayne - date of birth 11-17-1978

i don't see why people are saying we can't afford Lloyd AND Wayne, when there has been talk about Mike Wallace already..... Wallace would command more money than these two combined IMO. Re-signing Welker and then Branch cheap.. then getting these two in would be great. Get a 2/3/4th round WR to return kicks and take some snaps as #4/#5 in depth chart initially and we're good to go...

Welker, Lloyd, Wayne, Drafted WR , Branch

Talk with WHO?

Talk on a fan message board site? Talk in the media during the slowest time of the football year? We see these mediot speculations every year...

Do you really think that Bill Belichick is the kind of guy that goes out, takes a gamble on a player who is already questionable in parts of his play, gives an outsider who is unproven in our system mega-money (especially during an unsteady time where we already have a guy who we can't come to terms with who has more than earned his new contract), AND gives up a very precious 1st round draft pick in the process???

Any notion that we could afford BOTH Reggie Wayne and Brandon Lloyd plus Wes Welker at 9 1/2 million is completely absurd, at least in my opinion. No disrespect intended, but I wouldn't get my hopes up to see too many major moves like the ones you have listed.

It will be quite a blessing to retain Welker AND gain another decent WR in any form. Hopefully, you are right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes