PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just something to hear before the next Butler thread gets started

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not the greatest Peter King fan, but it's a slow morning and I stumbled across this podcast and found out something I never knew and thought it was worth your while.

The 2 topics of the podcast are Chris Collinsworth and a WP reporter who is did a story on the use of wide spread use painkilling drugs (Torodol) in the NFL.

BTW- Collinsworth's stories are worth the listen just on their own. But I never had a clue that Collinsworth is the owner of.......... ;) And when King talks to him about it he asks some good questions

Peter King's Podcast with Cris Collinsworth | The MMQB with Peter King

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when the FBI nails the NFL.

That would be cool. What would be cooler is if Goodell goes to prison for it.
According to another thread you can't use that word in describing how bad one team beats another so I'm sure you have some comments coming from the politically correct crowd for using it here.

According to another thread you can't use that word in describing how bad one team beats another so I'm sure you have some comments coming from the politically correct crowd for using it here.
I always welcome the C.O.C. trying to come down on me for anything.

I never had a clue that Collinsworth is the owner of.......... ;)

Oh yeah. He's been in deep with Pretend Football Facts for some time now. And NBC should require him to disclose that every single time he mentions it in broadcasts. Of course, since neither he nor NBC has any ethics...

Besides the fascinating stories about how he got into the broadcast business, I thought was so interesting about this podcast was first, Chris Collinsworth is the owner of PFF. Secondly I found that it operates on a much more professional level than what I originally thought. Previously I thought it was a bunch of amatuer fans who had the temeritry to think they could grade professional players, period, Let alone have to gall to do it without the knowledge of calls, formations and player responsibilities, etc.

Interesting to know it's less about all the subjective grading and more about alignments, tendencies, and the format to quickly access various aspects of this info, so for example you can get the raw data of what a team runs from a ccertain formation, then with a click, see all the actual plays Evidently it's become a big, successful business with something like 25 teams already signed up.

I wonder why I wouldn't be surprised a bit if the Pats are NOT one of those teams. ;)

Interesting. So behind the scenes PFF does real stuff while it's generating total crap for public consumption.

I always welcome the C.O.C. trying to come down on me for anything.

I'm not sure if you guys know the whole story here, but the thread contained a graphic about the Patriots opponents next year and their likely results. One of them was "Rape" another said "Actual Rape" and a third said "Rape the Rapist" - referring to Roethlisberger. As someone who is actually also very against the political correctness police and thinks our society is too sensitive, I think we should all acknowledge there are some boundaries that aren't cool to cross. I personally thought that went too far, not that I would have necessarily removed the thread, and I didn't complain to the mods - I just told the OP my thoughts on it.

I mean, what if someone had something similar which said we are going to "Auschwitz Gas Chamber" an opponent or that we were going to "slave master whip" someone. I'm just saying that rape, especially referenced so many times and purposely averting you to make a joke about the actual act, is pretty far towards the obvious out-of-bounds mark. The OP even said "You must all be a bunch of women" which basically made it all worse. I think people of intelligence can find better wording than that which would actually be funny. Though we use words like "we're going to murder/kill them" that has long been accepted as being okay within the context...not saying it is right or wrong, but I'm sure there are many women on this board who would view that rape post as incredibly distasteful. And I think we are better than that...leave that stuff to the Jets forums, along with their expletives and common threads wishing actual injuries/death to our players.

And no, I am not a bleeding heart liberal. I think most of the people I know would consider me to be very thick skinned and not someone who is easily offended.

I'm not sure if you guys know the whole story here, but the thread contained a graphic about the Patriots opponents next year and their likely results. One of them was "Rape" another said "Actual Rape" and a third said "Rape the Rapist" - referring to Roethlisberger. As someone who is actually also very against the political correctness police and thinks our society is too sensitive, I think we should all acknowledge there are some boundaries that aren't cool to cross. I personally thought that went too far, not that I would have necessarily removed the thread, and I didn't complain to the mods - I just told the OP my thoughts on it.

I mean, what if someone had something similar which said we are going to "Auschwitz Gas Chamber" an opponent or that we were going to "slave master whip" someone. I'm just saying that rape, especially referenced so many times and purposely averting you to make a joke about the actual act, is pretty far towards the obvious out-of-bounds mark. The OP even said "You must all be a bunch of women" which basically made it all worse. I think people of intelligence can find better wording than that which would actually be funny. Though we use words like "we're going to murder/kill them" that has long been accepted as being okay within the context...not saying it is right or wrong, but I'm sure there are many women on this board who would view that rape post as incredibly distasteful. And I think we are better than that...leave that stuff to the Jets forums, along with their expletives and common threads wishing actual injuries/death to our players.

And no, I am not a bleeding heart liberal.

I don't see anything offensive about it and I'm not sure how "we're going to murder them" would be any less offensive to people that DO consider something like that offensive.

Oh yeah. He's been in deep with Pretend Football Facts for some time now. And NBC should require him to disclose that every single time he mentions it in broadcasts. Of course, since neither he nor NBC has any ethics...
We can always refer to PFF when it favors our argument.

And no, I am not a bleeding heart liberal. I think most of the people I know would consider me to be very thick skinned and not someone who is easily offended.
Sorry I legit laughed at "slave master whip"ing a team

I don't think that a silly graphic on a football message board is something that should be analyzed for offensiveness.
I do not believe that someone who makes that joke is by nature less disgusted by rape than you.

I don't understand the Butler *****ing Brigade. It's the biggest Pats news right now during the offseason. Get over it already

I guess people would rather ***** than to use the "ignore thread" feature that would easily solve their problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Besides the fascinating stories about how he got into the broadcast business, I thought was so interesting about this podcast was first, Chris Collinsworth is the owner of PFF. Secondly I found that it operates on a much more professional level than what I originally thought. Previously I thought it was a bunch of amatuer fans who had the temeritry to think they could grade professional players, period, Let alone have to gall to do it without the knowledge of calls, formations and player responsibilities, etc.

Interesting to know it's less about all the subjective grading and more about alignments, tendencies, and the format to quickly access various aspects of this info, so for example you can get the raw data of what a team runs from a ccertain formation, then with a click, see all the actual plays Evidently it's become a big, successful business with something like 25 teams already signed up.

I wonder why I wouldn't be surprised a bit if the Pats are NOT one of those teams. ;)

PFF WAS what you thought it was. Back before Collinworth and his group bought it, was an amateur site who watched the TV broadcast. They do a more scientific approach now with actual all 22 film. That said, their metrics are still crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft