PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just Say No to Revis - Patriots Should Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
He MIGHT still have what it takes to be a mediocre corner, but you can easily get a young mediocre corner, probably for less $, who just might turn out to be something better, and who might just be around for a while. Signing him really makes no sense at this point.

OK, so there are my adult remarks. Really, I just don't feel like doing the forgive-and-forget thing re his lousy remarks after leaving his first - and only, I hope - time here.

Say, didn't you used to be Darrelle Revis?

Like given to counter the dumbassery of those giving you dislikes. This place sometimes, man...

Is there an official protocol of how to use the different status options?

If there is, please link it and I will gladly follow it. If not, let's refrain from acting as if you're the official rule setter of the forum.

Is there an official protocol of how to use the different status options?

If there is, please link it and I will gladly follow it. If not, let's refrain from acting as if you're the official rule setter of the forum.

It's been discussed. You'd have to find the thread(s). And I'll keep posting about it until people stop being asshats about it.

Just Say No to Revis

Steve Balestrieri

The 31-year old Revis has been a shadow of himself the past two years and in 2016, teams didn

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Revis allowed a passer rating of 56.5 in 2015.

No thumbs' up for this article. The extraneous stuff (comments, etc.) is for BB and the front office to decide.

In 2015, Revis could still play at a high level. He lost a big step in 2016 when he gained 20 pounds - and when Bowles still kept putting him on an island against top-end receivers. That can't be his role anymore, even if he loses the weight.

Having said that, if we lose Butler and need another corner, and the front office thinks Revis can still play, then go get him on the cheap.

I don't care about comments. Seymore wasn't very generous with the Pats after he left, and Mankins was downright nasty before he came back! Ted Johnson hadn't exactly been a good cheerleader after he left, either. Who cares?

I'd take Richard Sherman in a heartbeat, too, if they could get him. Trade butler for #32, swap #32 for Sherman?

In a heartbeat.

It's been discussed. You'd have to find the thread(s). And I'll keep posting about it until people stop being asshats about it.

It's been discussed by you and I and others, but there's no real policy on it and you know that. So it's one thing to share your "insightful" opinion over and over and over again, but quit telling people what they should do when they've done nothing against the rules.

Maybe Ian can remove the dislike button. We can add Like and LIKE+++ and happy faces only. Everyone gets a gold star for every post! What a ****ing world...

As for the original post that warranted it, I didn't personally dislike it, but I can't say I blame anyone for disliking it. It's extremely short-sighted. Could we bring Revis in? I think there are ways anything could happen. But the post describes none of them. It just says if the guy can help, we should just accept it. And that's pretty much all we see in most of those types of posts.

This isn't Madden. We can't just ignore reality and similar situations. There's not even a proposed method for how it might work. Just whatever, accept it. Really interesting post bro.

Put a few minutes of thought into it and you could make it more realistic. Think about what it might take. Maybe a personal apology to Brady and BB, and if Brady is on board, he can help as a team leader. Maybe make it public, something like if Revis were to claim some ******** line about how he was just trying to distract a division rival, he has nothing but the upmost respect for the program, having been here he knows personally how hard they all work, etc. We all know it's ********, but it lets you move on from the line of questioning, otherwise the reporters will continue to badger him about it.

But again, none of this thought goes into any of the posts. Just whatever man, suck it up if he can help.

BB and the FO think extremely hard about the locker room and the type of people they are bringing into it. If you think BB doesn't care about the locker room culture, you haven't been watching this team over the years. He is quick to move on from a guy, no matter how talented, if he thinks he's going to cause problems. From Thomas to Moss to Collins, he's shown time after time that he cares quite a bit about a player's impact in the locker room.

But again, forget about all that, we should just take any player that can help.

And that's why **** gets disliked. It's lazy. It's just taking up space.

I love being around this forum because I learn stuff. Even when I disagree with people, I often learn something. As much as you personally annoy me and piss me off sometimes, I have learned quite a bit from you. And I appreciate all that.

But posts like this? There's nothing there. There's no substance. It's just a waste of time.

Revis allowed a passer rating of 56.5 in 2015.

No thumbs' up for this article. The extraneous stuff (comments, etc.) is for BB and the front office to decide.

In 2015, Revis could still play at a high level. He lost a big step in 2016 when he gained 20 pounds - and when Bowles still kept putting him on an island against top-end receivers. That can't be his role anymore, even if he loses the weight.

Having said that, if we lose Butler and need another corner, and the front office thinks Revis can still play, then go get him on the cheap.

I don't care about comments. Seymore wasn't very generous with the Pats after he left, and Mankins was downright nasty before he came back! Ted Johnson hadn't exactly been a good cheerleader after he left, either. Who cares?

I'd take Richard Sherman in a heartbeat, too, if they could get him. Trade butler for #32, swap #32 for Sherman?

In a heartbeat.
So, what's it like to have been born without a sense of smell?

It's been discussed by you and I and others, but there's no real policy on it and you know that.

People were abusing it enough in the past that Ian had to intervene, and he ended up changing things so that the tally is no longer kept. That's not "real policy", but it is what it is.

So it's one thing to share your "insightful" opinion over and over and over again, but quit telling people what they should do when they've done nothing against the rules.

No, but I'll note the irony of your post, as I didn't tell anyone what they should do (I made a general statement, as opposed to telling anyone what to do), and you did.

Last edited:
People were abusing it enough in the past that Ian had to intervene, and he ended up changing things so that the tally is no longer kept. That's not "real policy", but it is what it is.

No, but I'll note the irony of your post, as I didn't tell anyone what they should do (I made a general statement, as opposed to telling anyone what to do), and you did.

I actually hadn't known that they weren't being counted anymore since I don't give a **** about internet points. But see, I learned something new so thanks.

And yeah, I was a bit quick on that last bit. Your general statement was stupid, but you are correct, you didn't actually tell anyone what to do. So my bad on that.

Maybe now we can get back to the topic on hand, unless you want to start arguing over the use of the disagree status...

I love Revis. Comments he made weren't that bad and he was clearly trying to save face with the Jets...think about the situation he's in coming back to his original team after winning a ring with their most hated rival. Many people have way overreacted to what he said anyway. It was in direct response to the reason they got such a harsh punishment, which was due to past transgressions, and that was even in the NFL's letter. It's not like he said they were a bunch of illegitimate cheaters.

Also he would have been crazy to turn down that lottery ticket contract from the Jets. I believe him and his agent when they prior to negotiations he preferred staying in NE, and they said he would have re-signed with the Patriots for less if the contracts were in the same ballpark. They were NOT in the same ballpark, especially considering the guaranteed amount.

I would love to see him back here on a cheap deal.

Revis 'used' to be a deterrent to throw in his direction. In 2014, I thought he was pretty good, but I noted that he got burnt in key situations (like Green Bay in the regular season, Baltimore in the playoffs, and even against Seattle in the SB).

If Revis has some pride, is looking for redemption, and wants to improve his legacy, I would have no problem if he comes back for veteran's minimum. He would not be #1 or #2 (if Butler is still here), but I think he could serve as a mentor and great depth.

In retrospect, we can thank him for his contribution in 2014, and we can thank him for chasing money and going to NY. If he looses weight and improves his conditioning, he might be a good contributor in 2017.

Wouldnt pay anymore than 25 cents on the guy. His days as elite are done and I think he should retire.

I believe revis was injured last season and he is a better player than he showed.

But I think bb is interested in young veterans not old ones. M

So while revis may have a bounce back year in him, it probably will be with the steelers, Dallas or Baltimore, not us.

I doubt the Pats are entertaining the thought.

Especially not after his comments about how we are cheaters and his shade thrown at BB and Brady.

There are many reasons to avoid Revis. His social media statements are pretty far down on the list if you ask me.

He doesn't have to be elite or play the entire game to be a potential asset for the team. He is willing to play for 200K because he knows he will not get over $6M, so it's irrelevant to him...the Jets will pay him the remaining amount up to $6M. In other words, Revis could play for the Patriots where NE is paying him 200k and the Jets are paying him 5.8M. That idea alone is mouth watering.

You guys really don't think he may have been injured/unmotivated and he is really worse than 4th or 5th CB in the roster? As a situational player against certain matchups, playing, say, 15-20 snaps a game, and more if he is in fact much better than he looked last year, then why not? The man is 31, not 50. I would love to see him back, at the very least for training camp. I don't think Revis is done, and he doesn't want to go out in shame. He is a proud man and one of the greatest cornerbacks the game has seen.

Where is my reasoning wrong here? Unless you are hung up on some overmagnified comments that clearly didn't bother the team or his former teamates, and frankly were about as benign as it gets to be considered a "slight." Most of it was typical journalist hype, taking a quote out of context for a great sound byte, but completely missing the tone of the whole interview, which was full of praise for TB and his experience in NE.

Revis 'used' to be a deterrent to throw in his direction. In 2014, I thought he was pretty good, but I noted that he got burnt in key situations (like Green Bay in the regular season, Baltimore in the playoffs, and even against Seattle in the SB).

If Revis has some pride, is looking for redemption, and wants to improve his legacy, I would have no problem if he comes back for veteran's minimum. He would not be #1 or #2 (if Butler is still here), but I think he could serve as a mentor and great depth.

In retrospect, we can thank him for his contribution in 2014, and we can thank him for chasing money and going to NY. If he looses weight and improves his conditioning, he might be a good contributor in 2017.

Just want to note:

-He WAS burned by Steve Smith, as was everyone else. That man was elusive and unique. They probably should have doubled him with safety help and put Revis to shadow someone else. (Side note: Patriots coaching staff bungled the matchups for most of the game vs. Baltimore with that matchup and took an entire half against Seattle to figure out they needed to put a bigger guy, Browner, on Chris Matthews, who had a huge height advantage over Arrington - not the best coaching decisions there, and glad they overcame and adjusted eventually. I was yelling about putting Browner on Matthews right away, and am a mere observer!)

-He was "burned" by Jordy Nelson for a 15 yard gain. A breakdown in the secondary /safeties was the reason Nelson took it to the house.

-He was "burned" by Baldwin in the Super Bowl after getting screened by the ref in the end zone.

He wasn't perfect in 2014, but he was the best CB in the league and limited the gameplan of every opponent. I went to one game in 2014 and sat high up at midfield. He single handedly shut down the Chargers by shadowing Keenan Allen. Rivers wouldn't even look in that direction. San Diego used half the field on offense (some of this was dumb coaching by SD, since they put Allen alone one half of the field...face palm.)

I am in full agreement with the rest of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back