PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just how good of a prospect is Kevin O'Connell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just leave it to say that cassel made the most of the gift of an opportunity that he got this past season.......suffice it to say, that he would likely be unemployed this next season had brady not gotten hurt........

In a league where Brooks Bollinger is still drawing a paycheck, Cassel would have found a job as a backup somewhere.

BTW--I'm not saying that O'Connell stinks; far from it--I fully expect O'Connell to be Brady's back-up next year.

In a league where Brooks Bollinger is still drawing a paycheck, Cassel would have found a job as a backup somewhere.

BTW--I'm not saying that O'Connell stinks; far from it--I fully expect O'Connell to be Brady's back-up next year.

if cassel hadn't stepped on the field this past season, the most recent vision anyone would have had of him was how incredibly stupid he looked against the bucs last summer along with how incredibly stupid he looked against the dolphins last year.........yeah, someone might have given him a shot, but he would have looked stupid then. too.......he needed to be force-fed an entire season to look like a QB

The scouts in the NFL can measure height, weight and arm strength, and such things. But they fail in scouting QBs because QB is NOT PLAYED on the Field. It is played between the QBs EARs.

Cassel has no missing athletic talent. He has ideal size, a strong NFL arm, and running ability. Bu that is not what makes a QB. He has demonstrated some things that some never display.

Now for ther things that happen between the QBs Ears:
a) He has POISE.
b) He has leadership ability.
c) He can process a Game-plan.
d) He can function as a QB at NFL speed.
e) He makes good decisions.
f) He avoids turnovers.

Kevin O'Connel has the physical attributes.

He has demonstrated exactly ZERO of these other items. Maybe he will; and he will become a NFL QB. Maybe he won't, like most, and he will fail, as a NFL QB.

In any case Cassel had produced some evidence like his play in the regular season Miami game in 2006, and pre-seasons that he had some of these extra attributes.
Kevin has displayed none as yet. Kevin is at least another year away from being a NFL #2 QB, that can be called upon.

As for his status as #2 last year, BB realized that if he lost another QB, the season was done, so he might as well use it to instruct KOC, IMHO.

Last edited:
Will O'Connell be the #2 going into the season?

I think that he will be since he was last year. I think one reason we turned away those QB's visiting last year was partly to instill confidence in Cassel, but that Belichick was confident enough with O'Connell as #2 last year. With one year under our system, I would be against bringing in an older vet to back Brady up

Will O'Connell be the #2 going into the season?

I think that he will be since he was last year. I think one reason we turned away those QB's visiting last year was partly to instill confidence in Cassel, but that Belichick was confident enough with O'Connell as #2 last year. With one year under our system, I would be against bringing in an older vet to back Brady up

I agree. Brady/O'Connell/Guitierez is fine with me. KOC was drafted in the 3rd round and the last time the Patriots picked higher for a QB was Bledsoe. KOC is the Patriots QB of the Future. He has 1 year under the playbook and was the number 2 QB last year!! Remember in BB we trust!!

Looks like he played himself off the team. Him smiling after the last game, after a dreadful performance by him, probably did him in.

Looks like he played himself off the team. Him smiling after the last game, after a dreadful performance by him, probably did him in.
Yup. BTW there was something about him (physically) that reminded me of Tony Eason.

To the OP: I guess this answers your question! :)

Yeah, I'm not sure. I'd say he's better than Ben outside the pocket. The kid has mad scrambling and evasive skills......courtesy of our suck OL. One thing I can tell you though, is that he was SO jazzed about going to NE when he was drafted. He talked at length in the local media about learning there and being coached by BB and staff. If nothing else, he's very hungry to be taught. With a line to protect him, he could be something very special.

so what happened??

Just How Good of a Prospect is Kevin O'Connell?

Aparently, not very

So I guess we're allowed to believe our eyes this time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yup. BTW there was something about him (physically) that reminded me of Tony Eason.

To the OP: I guess this answers your question! :)

Tony Eason is not a good comparison,Eason was a pretty damn good QB for 2 years and we made the SB in one of them - Kevin has not even played a meaningful down in a regular season game

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST