PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just how good of a prospect is Kevin O'Connell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to assume he is not satisfied with drawing an NFL paycheck. :)

Me too. I'm a big O'Connell fan but I'm also realistic. It is going to take a lot of effort and commitment for him to reach his potential. So far so good (his mechanics were amazingly improved in the preseason). I'm interested in seeing how effective he is this preseason...especially since it is likely he will be getting a ton of snaps. If he puts on a little muscle weight, his footwork is solid and his throwing motion is consistent, I'll be sold.

He was a good enough prospect for the Patriots to draft him in the 3rd round.

They were reaching.

Everyone knows NE sucks at drafting quarterbacks.

A review of O'Connell's combine performance:

After a weekend in which he met individually with eight teams, which he would not identify but which is believed to include the Chargers, O'Connell was pleased.

He knew he needed to show improved footwork when dropping back, and he said the coaches on the field told him they were impressed with the work he'd done since the season ended.

“People know I'm athletic and can run,” O'Connell said. “But the NFL is more about what you do in the pocket.”

O'Connell said he could have run a faster 40 but had focused more of his training on the throwing session. It paid off.

One coach estimated that 16 of O'Connell's 22 throws were good.

“He did enough for teams to be more interested in him,” the coach said. “He did very well for himself.”

easy answer, he is the highest drafted QB bb has ever taken

/thread ovah

/thread ovah

Agreed, and as I've said - Anyone here want to argue with Bill? Without the benefit of hindsight and revisionist history? Nope.

Pioli said, in Education of a coach, that NO body in the front office will tell you that they had any idea or saw anything in Tom, at the time, that would have lead them to believe that Brady would have turned out the way he did, and he went on to say, and if someone DOES tell you that - They are lying.

KO is a timely topic all things considered. Maybe the better question would have been "Can he lead this offense/do you think he's capable". I'm pretty sure we all trust BB; the question's simply evolved since Brady's injury and Cassel's FA into how will KO fare as QB? It's entirely possible he could be Brady's back up or more if MattyMan goes. So much speculation about the QB situation right now:(

When we drafted KO I remember thinking he sounded like a good pickup;he remained cool under pressure,was poised,didn't have much to work with during his college years (feel free to correct this if it's wrong) yet did well, and overall sounded VERY coachable. He did well in preseason too,so much so that many here wanted him instead of Matt.;)

Based on that I'd assume most here think he'd do ok out there. My big concern with him would be if he's ready. Matt had 4 years directly under Brady; KO not as much. I've got my fingers crossed that the team doesn't have to go through another transition period behind another QB. KO's probably fine but the offense still has to adjust to different cadences etc. Can Kevin do it if he had to? Who knows-we saw as much of him as we did Cassel pre-injury. Never a dull moment:stars2:

Why? We have burned recent top draft picks on raw, workout warriors, ranging from Watson, to Jackson, to Maroney. O'Connell is another very athletic, raw guy we have spent a high pick on, and a player a lot of people don't know too much about. Nobody knows the reasons why we burned a 3rd on him, his draft position does not automatically imply greatness or current ability to backup Brady. It seems pretty ignorant to not want to collectively compile and share info on this guy. That SDSU alum's input here, other posters with vids and links, how is that not relevant and interesting, especially given our QB situation and draft scenarios this year?

To simply say 'BB took [player] in round [x], nuf said'... is mindless and unintellectual.

it speaks volumes about the regard the pats front office had in regard to oconnell......much more than anything that can be said about watson

I simply think that if this organization could turn a guy like cassel into a 3700yd/21td guy, that the future looks very bright for oconnell.......he is at least on par with cassel in regards to any characteristic you may want in a QB and more athletic

/thread ovah

Cool! Then we know the quality ranking of all QBs drafted by BB:

1. Kevin O'Connell
2. Rohan Davey
3. Tom Brady
4. Kliff Kingsbury
5. Matt Cassel

:)

IOW, we all know when he was drafted, and that the draft position indicated that the Pats liked his potential. That was square one, where we all started. The point of this thread, as I understood it, was to see if it was possible to gain any additional insight. Sure enough, we heard from people who watched a lot of his college games, and others dug up printed reports I hadn't seen before. Seems like a reasonable enough offseason topic to me.

IOW, we all know when he was drafted, and that the draft position indicated that the Pats liked his potential. That was square one, where we all started. The point of this thread, as I understood it, was to see if it was possible to gain any additional insight. Sure enough, we heard from people who watched a lot of his college games, and others dug up printed reports I hadn't seen before. Seems like a reasonable enough offseason topic to me.

Thank you.

We all know O'Connell was taken with a 3rd rounder, but it's worthwhile speculation for how ready is he after 1 year on the bench, given reports on how he was when he was drafted and any progress he has hopefully made since then.. Very relevant considering our current QB situation.

Thank you.

We all know O'Connell was taken with a 3rd rounder, but it's worthwhile speculation for how ready is he after 1 year on the bench, given reports on how he was when he was drafted and any progress he has hopefully made since then.. Very relevant considering our current QB situation.

One year ago BB looked at Cassel (in the last year of his contract) and maybe was going to let him go at the end of the season. BB had faith in Cassel but he did put Brady back in when Cassel threw the pick to Jason Taylor (my he rest in peace in the NFC). He then went into the draft and picked O'Connell in the third round to become TB backup. Now one year later we are getting good compensation for Cassel and it is time for Kevin to step up.

One year ago BB looked at Cassel (in the last year of his contract) and maybe was going to let him go at the end of the season. BB had faith in Cassel but he did put Brady back in when Cassel threw the pick to Jason Taylor (my he rest in peace in the NFC). He then went into the draft and picked O'Connell in the third round to become TB backup. Now one year later we are getting good compensation for Cassel and it is time for Kevin to step up.

Probably not until 2010 or 2011, when he is ready; if he ever will be...:(

Probably not until 2010 or 2011, when he is ready; if he ever will be...:(

That is what was said about Cassel last year. I am fine with a vet like Garcia, Gutz and Tom Brady to go along with O'Connell:D:D

Why some blowhards attempt to come out of the political forum, into this one, and attempt to engage in debates on football is beyond me. We will know NOTHING until O'Connell is put in for a couple of games. Yes, he has all of the tools needed to succeed in our offense: height, mobility (especially in the pocket), a cannon arm, and accuracy. What he needs to learn is pocket presence, and throwing motion as the OP mentioned. I'm sure that a few years under Brady's guidance as well as the guidance of the Pats' coaching staff teaching him the proper throwing motion will make him into a solid, well rounded QB.

In other words, I think he will be the Steve Young to our Joe Montana.

Hey Kontra, you definitely earned your screen name with these two sentences!

We will know NOTHING until O'Connell is put in for a couple of games.

. . .

In other words, I think he will be the Steve Young to our Joe Montana.

;)

Anyway...amidst all the griping, I actually think this thread has been pretty informative. My takeaway, FWIW: O'Connell was drafted in the 3rd based on extraordinary raw potential (think Vince Young with 30 extra Wonderlic points). But he was very unpolished and needed a thorough makeover of his game. Therefore, while we can't know how much he's progressed over the past year, it's reasonable to expect him to be less ready to start than a prospect drafted at the same point based on a more polished skills but a lower ceiling.

Hey Kontra, you definitely earned your screen name with these two sentences!

To be fair, he did use his verbs correctly--"We won't *know* anything . . . I *think*." :)

To be fair, he did use his verbs correctly--"We won't *know* anything . . . I *think*." :)

Quite so, quite so. It's actually the perfect summary of an offseason football messageboard: we all think a lot, and know nothing. :)

Quite so, quite so. It's actually the perfect summary of an offseason football messageboard: we all think a lot, and know nothing. :)

Righteous. Reverse programming necessary.

In order to arrive at knowing everything: desire to know nothing. -- Buddha

Righteous. Reverse programming necessary.

In order to arrive at knowing everything: desire to know nothing. -- Buddha
Is this the moment we sit around singing Karma Chameleon together? I'm fear my wardrobe is lacking for such an event.

Me: I don't think. I know.
My Wife: I don't think you know either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results