PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just Doing Their Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As we approached camp, which of these did you expect to play more than 2/3 of reps?

DEFENSE
----------
88% of reps Bentley
69% of reps Phillips
73% of reps Simon

OFFENSE
90% of reps Byrd
86% of reps Izzo

I was really Really hoping that JaWrong wouldn't be playing these many snaps...

Get well soon Uche & Jennings...and for feck's sake Bill bring in somebody else so that the J-E-T-E stank of Copeland & Brooks never Ever play another snap of defense for us again.

The only one I thought would play that much is Bentley. Despite cranky posters being down on him, I don’t see how anyone didn’t see this coming. He’s had the green dot before this season, they’ve lost much of their LB corps.

I’m not shocked at Simon’s snaps, even though I thought it’d be less.

Izzo & B surprise me. Phillips a tad, bit not shocked.

Simon and Bentley, definitely yes.

Izzo no, thought more reps would go to the two rookies.

Byrd - I was in the minority here - yes, since there was no other speed at WR.

Phillips - no.

I guess Byrd because camp reports seemed lackluster.

I may have missed the reports but does anyone know why Anfernee Jennings is not playing. I believe he did have an injury earlier but has been a healthy scratch recently.

As we approached camp, which of these did you expect to play more than 2/3 of reps?

DEFENSE
----------
88% of reps Bentley
69% of reps Phillips
73% of reps Simon

OFFENSE
90% of reps Byrd
86% of reps Izzo

Most surprising to me is Byrd. But looking at Dorsett's snaps last year he was also more often than not in the 90% in the first part of the season. I guess it makes sense.

The moment Izzo made the team I wasn't surprised he would get a lot of snaps early on. Even last year until LaCosse came back from an injury he was averaging around 60-70% of snaps. Except for the game in Miami where we had AB and spread it out most of the time and the game against Washington that is.

Given statements from coaches and Brady in the past we know that TE is considered one of the most difficult positions to learn in NE. So I didn't expect Asiasi to have a substantial impact in the first half of the regular season. It is good news he made a jump to 40% snaps against the Raiders. It means he has progressed into more packages.

I could be wrong, and due to a busy schedule I haven't had a chance to rewatch any of the games, but Simon seems to be struggling a bit setting the edge. Am I wrong about that? Can anyone confirm or deny? Because when I look at 73% it seems low to me for someone who has been around this long at a position of relative need.

Despite Chung sitting out, Safety is one of the strong positions on the team, given the rapid emergence of Dugger. I'd love to see the numbers on who is playing with who, how often, if anybody has those at hand.

I was really Really hoping that JaWrong wouldn't be playing these many snaps...

Get well soon Uche & Jennings...and for feck's sake Bill bring in somebody else so that the J-E-T-E stank of Copeland & Brooks never Ever play another snap of defense for us again.
Sad to say, I have to agree with you. Bentley is the biggest weakness in my mind. Brooks is not terrible, but not good enough to be a regular down player. Haven't seen Copeland do much, not certain if he reaches the Brooks level. Give Cash a try. LB's are a problem.

Despite Chung sitting out, Safety is one of the strong positions on the team, given the rapid emergence of Dugger. I'd love to see the numbers on who is playing with who, how often, if anybody has those at hand.

Closest thing I can think of is Pro Football Reference's Snap Count page.

DEFENSE
----------
88% of reps Bentley
69% of reps Phillips
73% of reps Simon

OFFENSE
90% of reps Byrd
86% of reps Izzo

Surprised to be seeing Bentley so much in coverage. Thought he was considered just a tad slow for that. Figured he'd be more around 65-70% for that reason.

Byrd is definitely a surprise. And Izzo... well, I didn't expect it, but that was probably more denial on my part. It makes sense and should not be a surprise.

So yeah, Bentley (slightly), Byrd, and Izzo. I'd say their higher snap counts are more a reflection of the lack of strong/ready alternatives for some roles.

Bentley looks to be struggling a bit with coverage and I would guess that Copeland also does not have that skill. Maybe that why Uche was drafted ? Just hope Uche and Jennings can play soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Back