PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back!!! You have been missed.

Edelman, White, Gordon, Gronk = decent weapons for Brady.

I wouldn't use the word "decent" when describing those player they are all Great! in a Patriot way.:cool:

Still would love a trade for another receiver. This is the time for the years long dream to come true, Fitzgerald in his twilight years on the Pats.

A little "bookkeeping" guesswork ...

Teams with players coming off 4-game suspensions are usually granted at least a 1-week practice exemption for them, a period during which they're allowed to practice with the team before being activated to the roster. With the Pats having a Thursday night game, they may even be able to get a 10-day exemption for Edelman. I'd guess that the Pats will take advantage of the exemption for at least this week.

Regardless, I think that the Pats need to activate Edelman for the Colts game by 4pm Wednesday to be able to play him on Thursday. The Pats have only today, Tuesday and Wednesday in which to "practice", and I'm guessing that only Tuesday will be more than a walkthrough or meeting/film session. That's not much of a window in which to evaluate Edelman's "game fitness", so it's still possible that he doesn't get activated this week and, thus, doesn't play Thursday night.

However, if the Pats DO activate Edelman today, that goes out the window.

The Pats don't need to make a corresponding roster move until Edelman is activated. I'm guessing that move will be one of Rowe or Hollister going to IR.
-- Rowe apparently has re-injured his groin, an issue that caused him to miss 8 games last season
-- Hollister's "chest" injury has kept him OUT the past two games. I really don't know what a "chest injury" incurred from a "hard landing" could be aside from a bruised, or even cracked, sternum. If this is that case, it could certainly be IR-worthy.

With only $1.056M in available cap space, pretty much every roster move the Pats make from here on out will have significant cap implications.

For example (if I'm figuring correctly), Edelman being on suspension for the past four weeks has saved the Pats something over $500k in cap costs. Moving Rowe to IR may save another $250k over the next 13 weeks, depending on his "injury split salary". Leaving the PSquad at 9 instead of the full 10 saves the Pats about $98k over the next 13 weeks.

Most importantly, if/when the Pats bring someone back from IR, it will reduce their current cap space.

Who will be dismissed? One must be either released or to IR. Wonder how serious Roberts injury is? Grissom?

A little "bookkeeping" guesswork ...

Teams with players coming off 4-game suspensions are usually granted at least a 1-week practice exemption for them, a period during which they're allowed to practice with the team before being activated to the roster. With the Pats having a Thursday night game, they may even be able to get a 10-day exemption for Edelman. I'd guess that the Pats will take advantage of the exemption for at least this week.

Regardless, I think that the Pats need to activate Edelman for the Colts game by 4pm Wednesday to be able to play him on Thursday. The Pats have only today, Tuesday and Wednesday in which to "practice", and I'm guessing that only Tuesday will be more than a walkthrough or meeting/film session. That's not much of a window in which to evaluate Edelman's "game fitness", so it's still possible that he doesn't get activated this week and, thus, doesn't play Thursday night.

However, if the Pats DO activate Edelman today, that goes out the window.

The Pats don't need to make a corresponding roster move until Edelman is activated. I'm guessing that move will be one of Rowe or Hollister going to IR.
-- Rowe apparently has re-injured his groin, an issue that caused him to miss 8 games last season
-- Hollister's "chest" injury has kept him OUT the past two games. I really don't know what a "chest injury" incurred from a "hard landing" could be aside from a bruised, or even cracked, sternum. If this is that case, it could certainly be IR-worthy.

With only $1.056M in available cap space, pretty much every roster move the Pats make from here on out will have significant cap implications.

For example (if I'm figuring correctly), Edelman being on suspension for the past four weeks has saved the Pats something over $500k in cap costs. Moving Rowe to IR may save another $250k over the next 13 weeks, depending on his "injury split salary". Leaving the PSquad at 9 instead of the full 10 saves the Pats about $98k over the next 13 weeks.

Most importantly, if/when the Pats bring someone back from IR, it will reduce their current cap space.
OK so if they do not need to activate JE until 4pm on Wed they do not need to cut anyone until then also.

Yeah, I can't think of a player on this team who would be better equipped to jump straight into the lineup without a lot of prep work than Julian Edelman. He and Brady share a brain, and he's just as much of a workaholic.

The only question for him in my mind is recovery related. Will it take him a few games to gain full confidence in that knee? Maybe not, the guy is kind of insane, but it is very much a possibility.

Who will be dismissed? One must be either released or to IR. Wonder how serious Roberts injury is? Grissom?

Could possibly be Keionta Davis. We have 7(!!!) edge players on the roster right now counting Grissom, who has seen snaps on defense this year. Flowers is great, you can't really cut Clayborn or Wise, which leaves Grissom, Rivers, Davis, and Simon all vulnerable. There's no way you need that many players at that position.

Could possibly be Keionta Davis. We have 7(!!!) edge players on the roster right now counting Grissom, who has seen snaps on defense this year. Flowers is great, you can't really cut Clayborn or Wise, which leaves Grissom, Rivers, Davis, and Simon all vulnerable. There's no way you need that many players at that position.
It can't be Davis over Rivers. How many games has Rivers been inactive so far?

Yeah, I can't think of a player on this team who would be better equipped to jump straight into the lineup without a lot of prep work than Julian Edelman. He and Brady share a brain, and he's just as much of a workaholic.

The only question for him in my mind is recovery related. Will it take him a few games to gain full confidence in that knee? Maybe not, the guy is kind of insane, but it is very much a possibility.

Wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a Sony Michel and plays slow for a week or two then breaks out.

If Edelman is not active this week, Brady will be in Kraft’s office again.

Kraft walks into his office and sees Brady sitting in his chair

The_Goat.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a Sony Michel and plays slow for a week or two then breaks out.

Agreed, I'd say 99% of us on this board were never professional athletes, but a good amount played some sort of sport in high school. As most of us can attest, regardless of how much you practice, it's different than being in 'game shape'. So yes, he should still be effective, but I don't think we'll see full-Edelman impact just yet......but hey, if he can at least draw some coverage away from Gronk that will be enough for me.

It can't be Davis over Rivers. How many games has Rivers been inactive so far?

Davis has made a Jordan Devey-like impact on the line so far. I don't think it's a coincidence that things went a lot better in the trenches with him as a healthy scratch. Rivers clearly isn't high on the depth chart either and would be just as likely to go.

Julian may have missed time but that does not mean he was not working out.
Plus he already knows the offense.

True. But game-fitness/game-speed is a whole other level beyond working out. The Pats may still want to "read the meter" on that before making him active.

Based on what we know from pre-season and Camp, Edelman seems to be pretty confident in the knee. What he himself said that he wasn't confident about was having "game legs", which I took to mean that he felt he wasn't up to game-speed yet. Four more weeks without even practicing with the team probably didn't help that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes