PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman bash thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tampa is playing mostly zone, so there will be no Revis assignment or doubling, but even in man, who is going to focus on a guy catch screens and 4 yard slants.
Stats are a wonderful thing but when you catch a lot of passes in an area of the field the defense doesn't put a ton of effort into preventing receptions (because you can't cover every pass and route tightly, without risking getting burned) you don't change your defense to take it way.
I an sure the Bucs would be very happy to have Brady throw 18 times to Edelman and get 70 yards out of it. They won't be sacrificing something else to take that away.

You have to wonder how long Revis will get freaked out that it's an Island-by-Committee approach.

He only caught 99% of Brady's passes, I say we cut him!!

Always a pleasure when our two resident, uninformed know-it-alls are active in the same thread.

Always a pleasure when our two resident, uninformed know-it-alls are active in the same thread.

All one of them does is cut and paste ..."My statement was perfectly correct".....a half dozen times in every thread he chooses to carpet bomb with his football acumen. Always riveting.

The Bucs defense has allowed 34 points in 2 games, including 16 to the Saints.
Brees completed 56% of his passes and had a QB rating of 67.
I cannot fathom an NFL HC changing his scheme that is working because a player likes a different coverage better.
Again, why would you try to take away a receiver that Tom Brady targetted 18 times for 73 yards? That is incredibly successful defense. Why open up something else to take away something that will never beat you.
Tom Brady averages about 25 passes completed for 310 yards a game in about 38 attempts (2011-2012-2013). What opponent would not want him to throw half of them on routes that will get him 73 yards?

You use 2011-2013 stats yet TODAY the Pats are currently without 90% of the receivers Brady had during that time period. Are you making an assumption that the rooks will step up and have a monster game and thus make JE irrelevant? If so, God knows I hope you're right but it will be a 180 degree turnaround from how they performed last week. Like him or not (it readily apparent you don't) he was a major contributor in the Jets game and one of Brady's few reliable options.

You use 2011-2013 stats yet TODAY the Pats are currently without 90% of the receivers Brady had during that time period. Are you making an assumption that the rooks will step up and have a monster game and thus make JE irrelevant? If so, God knows I hope you're right but it will be a 180 degree turnaround from how they performed last week. Like him or not (it readily apparent you don't) he was a major contributor in the Jets game and one of Brady's few reliable options.

I'm saying that any defense facing Tom Brady would be happy to see a game plan that is centered on 18 targets resulting in 13 completions for 78 yards, 8 of which do not ultimately even lead to a first down.
I am truly shocked that people are arguing that is successful offense.

A 7th round draft pick that has become a switch blade kind of player who has been asked to do so many things to help the team is NOT someone any of us should bash.
The fact that he has a roster spot speaks to his tenacity and skill…or the inability of our management to find/develop better talent over the last 5 years.

I love Edelman and am always looking to see where he lines up in the hopes he gets the ball and is able to show the open field skill I believe he possess.

+1

Meanwhile those same people are throwing rose petals at Amendola's stationary bike simply because he is extremely talented. While JE is not as talented as Amendola he has done everything asked of him. This 7th round Kent State QB has been converted into a versatile and productive player. JE falls into the "Welker Syndrome" for the haters. A receiver who can do so much is relegated to being overrated simply because he can't do everything.

I'm saying that any defense facing Tom Brady would be happy to see a game plan that is centered on 18 targets resulting in 13 completions for 78 yards, 8 of which do not ultimately even lead to a first down.
I am truly shocked that people are arguing that is successful offense.

I understand what you are saying but the Pats offense "is what it is". Brady may have no choice if the rooks pull a repeat of the Jets game. JE once again will be a huge part of the offensive game plan at that point and while the Bucs may be happy to see it they'd be incompetent to largely dismiss it.

I understand what you are saying but the Pats offense "is what it is". Brady may have no choice if the rooks pull a repeat of the Jets game. JE once again will be a huge part of the offensive game plan at that point and while the Bucs may be happy to see it they'd be incompetent to largely dismiss it.

Well they aren't going to defend 10 guys and ignore that Edelman is on the field.
But to say the Patriot offense is what is and expect them to run the same failed scheme again is not encouraging.
I think the point of this discussion was assessing how effective Edelman game vs the Jets and the overall offense was. I'm not sure how saying rookies dropping passes makes that more effective.
This thread seems to be going askew because the Edelman supporters take any analysis of his play that doesnt say wow he's great he caught 13 passes as bashing him and saying he sucks. Half the responses are not even about what was said but arguing that a misrepresentation of what was said is incorrect.

I'm not saying he's a football god, but Julian Edelman is a hell of a football player. He's an all-time great punt returner, a serviceable receiver, and a reasonably decent backup DB option. First of all, that's great value for a 7th round pick, and there simply aren't many people in the NFL who can do all that.

Is he going to blow the doors off as a #1 receiver? I don't expect it, but I am a little tickled that somehow this dude is being called to play that role and he's doing as well as you can expect him to.

I don't expect a big day from him today.

That said, I don't see Edelman hate in this thread from anyone per se. What I see are fairly reasonable analyses of his play. He's not a top receiver. That's true. If the people calling his play such choose not to recognize his overall value to the team, that's their issue. But I haven't seen that here. Guys like Andy aren't even commenting on that part of it, just his play as a #1 receiver.

Edelman is doing a great job with his god-given natural ability...IMO

Edelman – 7 targets, 7 receptions, 44 yards, 5 first downs.

Only 44 yards???

Unreal, cut this bum now.

Damn that Edelman! He killed the bash thread! He caught everything that came his way AND he was good on punt returns. Why can't he play bad when someone already anticipated it? d%#*!@t...

From the outside looking in, despite Revis' recent complaints about Tampa Bay's schemes, it was odd to see the one of the game's best shutdown cornerbacks pass off his receiver to a safety. But the Patriots prepared for exactly that.

"From watching the film and everything, we knew that it was going to be a split safety team and a zone team," rookie receiver Kenbrell Thompkins said. "So we had been preaching all week in practice to get open and run great routes against great cornerbacks like Darrelle Revis and those guys, and get the timing down with the quarterback."

So there was no shadowing a single receiver, as Revis once did in showdowns with Randy Moss in 2009 and 2010.

In New England Patriots win, Darrelle Revis' impact limited by Tampa Bay Buccaneers' zone defense | masslive.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back