PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Jonnu Smith signs with New England!

Hello! Smith and Agholor, not bad in terms of weapons. I hope the O-line can protect me at age 58, because I'm currently our best option to pass the ball to them.*** But still.

*** this is a joke based on hyperbole. If you needed this footnote, shame on you.

Yup. Amendola’s contract was the 4th richest signed by a wideout that offseason, ahead of Welker, who they lost to the Broncos. I think I remember the Pats having to act fast after Welker was gone and the Eagles were in on Amendola as well.

When Welker declined their offer before FA opened they immediately moved on to Dola and had an agreement with him really fast. Welker came back with the Denver offer to allow them to match but at that point the door was already closed .

I am hearing from everyone how good he is, but it makes me wonder why he didn't produce more? Everyone always likes to talk about a new system or a guy wasn't used enough or in the right way. While this can be true, I usually find if a guy didn't get the numbers after 4, the reason why is usually becase he wasn't good enough to get them.

a little insight on last season and why tennessee couldn't keep him

I am kinda torn because I still want a QB in the first round. that’s the one thing this team is lacking, a young exiting QB. But I would love Pitts as #1 TE and Smith as #2

I still think we will make an aggressive play for a QB in the draft.

So a $5.75m cap hit for 2021. Years 1 and 2 are effectively guaranteed (2022 cap hit increases if cut after 2021), and cutting him at that point only saves ~$2.5-3.5m on the 2023 cap. So barring something extraordinary, Smith will see the first 3 years of his deal, at least.

One of the best athletes at the position in the NFL. Prime to breakout as a featured player.

Pats now have three young skill position players for the future:

Jonnu Smith TE age 26
Damien Harris RB age 24
Jakobi Meyers slot WR age 25

Josh McDaniels is a WR signing away from being able to run a competent offense again
That website is insane, how am I just finding out about this.

I feel like adding additional vet TE in front of Asiasi and Keene would just be a progress blocker. It would only take reps and snaps away from players that you just drafted a year ago and that are in desperate need of just that after a crazy COVID-infused offseason and some injuries in their rookie year.
Please...

You may be right. I guess I am giving up on those guys too quickly.
Not really.

Imagine how much money Bill could be putting to better use if he had drafted Trautman & Harrison Bryant instead of those two Over-drafted (by MULTIPLE rounds) stiffs...

This signing also proves my point that Bill has to Overpay to get the better UFAs to come here without a QB.

Please...

Not really.

Imagine how much money Bill could be putting to better use if he had drafted Trautman & Harrison Bryant instead of those two Over-drafted (by MULTIPLE rounds) stiffs...

This signing also proves my point that Bill has to Overpay to get the better UFAs to come here without a QB.

no doubt Assiasi Keene Harry are major busts otherwise we wouldn’t have dished out huge money on TE/WRs the past day

Please...

Not really.

Define overpay. Who was overpaid and by how much? How much less would they have accepted if the team had a QB who (in your eyes) is competent? Can you list specific numbers?

Jonnu Smith had more catches and yards than Trautman and Bryant combined. Not only that, but if you took Trautman and Bryants TDs and combined them, Jonnu doubled that.

I don't see production from Trautman and Bryant to justify the praise you're giving them.

Define overpay. Who was overpaid and by how much? How much less would they have accepted if the team had a QB who (in your eyes) is competent? Can you list specific numbers?

Jonnu Smith had more catches and yards than Trautman and Bryant combined. Not only that, but if you took Trautman and Bryants TDs and combined them, Jonnu doubled that.

I don't see production from Trautman and Bryant to justify the praise you're giving them.

his point was BB dished our big money to top of the market TEs because our 3rd round rookie TEs were so abysmal and showed zero potential while Trautman and Bryant flashed future potential and were drafted after these guys despite being clear cut better prospects

Observations

1 Smith has never fumbled.
2 Dependable. He has missed 4 games in 4 seasons.
Jonnu Smith Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

3 He has real good hands. A catch rate of 67.5% works for me.
4 Not sure why BB was gloating about his playing H Back - 82 yards and 1 TD for his career.

4 BB just made him the 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL behind Kittle and Kelce,
Jonnu Smith Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Between the lines

A If youre big mouth Gronk, what are you thinking about now? BB just gave Smith more guaranteed money than Gronk got in his prime. Smith is set to make 31 million guaranteed. This has to chap the Buffalo Penny Pinchers *** since Gronk was always bellyaching about money.

B Tampa has to pay Gronk to keep up with the Johnu Smiths.

2020 Gronk 623 yards - 7 TDs
2020 Smith 448 yards - 8 TDs

Gronk "Gee Bruce, look how much he got" Is Gronk going to go cheap money after his stellar Super Bowl performance? I say absolutely not.

C Recall when Welker left and BB opened up the checkbook for Almendola like money was burning a hole in BBs pocket? Why does this feel the same way.

when Gronk was 26, the cap was 143.28 million. This year the cap will be 182.5 million. Can’t really compare the salaries on absolute terms.

Waller didn't put up big numbers his first couple of years with the Ravens either. Sometimes, one just needs the opportunity
Walker had off the field issues early in his career though.

when Gronk was 26, the cap was 143.28 million. This year the cap will be 182.5 million. Can’t really compare the salaries on absolute terms.
A hundred dollar bill is still a hundred dollar bill.

Smith isnt a 1st ballot HOF TE yet he is paid like one. 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL and rubbing elbows with Kittle and Kelce. Gronk didnt cash in when he signed at 26. In fact, shortly after inking his new NE deal, Shannon Sharpe pointed out that Gronk got bent over. And, just because there is more money in relation to a higher cap, that doesnt justify Smith receiving it.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back