PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Jonnu Smith signs with New England!

I feel like adding additional vet TE in front of Asiasi and Keene would just be a progress blocker.
You need a TE2 and a TE3 for various formations. They'll get their snaps, more than enough to allow us to gague their development.

What this signing does is it avoids forcing Keene and Asiasi into situations they're not ready for yet. They're both talented TEs but we found out the hard way that asking them to take the top 2 TE positions was a lot at this point in their career. Let them learn on the job behind a solid vet who knows what he's doing. I'm perfectly happy with this development.

I like the signing, but looking at his career stats, he has never put up huge numbers. Maybe they think they can get more out of him. I know he is very athletic which is what you really need out of your TE.
Waller didn't put up big numbers his first couple of years with the Ravens either. Sometimes, one just needs the opportunity

Observations

1 Smith has never fumbled.
2 Dependable. He has missed 4 games in 4 seasons.
Jonnu Smith Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

3 He has real good hands. A catch rate of 67.5% works for me.
4 Not sure why BB was gloating about his playing H Back - 82 yards and 1 TD for his career.

4 BB just made him the 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL behind Kittle and Kelce,
Jonnu Smith Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Between the lines

A If youre big mouth Gronk, what are you thinking about now? BB just gave Smith more guaranteed money than Gronk got in his prime. Smith is set to make 31 million guaranteed. This has to chap the Buffalo Penny Pinchers *** since Gronk was always bellyaching about money.

B Tampa has to pay Gronk to keep up with the Johnu Smiths.

2020 Gronk 623 yards - 7 TDs
2020 Smith 448 yards - 8 TDs

Gronk "Gee Bruce, look how much he got" Is Gronk going to go cheap money after his stellar Super Bowl performance? I say absolutely not.

C Recall when Welker left and BB opened up the checkbook for Almendola like money was burning a hole in BBs pocket? Why does this feel the same way.
Do you really think the Amendola contract was opening up the checkbook?

At the time for the Pats, yes.
Yup. Amendola’s contract was the 4th richest signed by a wideout that offseason, ahead of Welker, who they lost to the Broncos. I think I remember the Pats having to act fast after Welker was gone and the Eagles were in on Amendola as well.

This move addresses having the worst TE group in the NFL last year. Now Cam will have a safety blanket going into 2021. Jonnu is a starting quality TE. This is pretty much the most crucial acquisition on offense so far.

Bill basically paid top 3 TE money for the 20th best TE in 2020. We clearly paid for potential

I am kinda torn because I still want a QB in the first round. that’s the one thing this team is lacking, a young exiting QB. But I would love Pitts as #1 TE and Smith as #2

I am kinda torn because I still want a QB in the first round. that’s the one thing this team is lacking, a young exiting QB. But I would love Pitts as #1 TE and Smith as #2
The Patriots aren’t getting a TE in the 1st round of the draft. They spent two draft picks last year on te’s who were injured most of the season and had a covid pre season camp.

The money we are giving Smith is TE1 money so i wouldn't get your hopes up.

The money we are giving Smith is TE1 money so i wouldn't get your hopes up.
Bill has been uncharacteristically agressive this offseason. If you don’t draft a QB in the first round and you are in a position to draft the best pass catcher in the draft, I don’t know why the contract you gave Smith doesn’t allow you to do that.

Smith isn’t a TE1 yet production wise and maybe never will be. I like the player a lot but the contract he got is a contract that normally you give to player that produce twice as much as he did. He got paid more than Gronk in his prime and Gronk is still a better player than he is.

Bill has been uncharacteristically agressive this offseason. If you don’t draft a QB in the first round and you are in a position to draft the best pass catcher in the draft, I don’t know why the contract you gave Smith doesn’t allow you to do that.

Smith isn’t a TE1 yet production wise and maybe never will be. I like the player a lot but the contract he got is a contract that normally you give to player that produce twice as much as he did. He got paid more than Gronk in his prime and Gronk is still a better player than he is.
I think they are attributing his lack of production to how he was used rather than talent. BB has talked up Smith in terms of talent. I just think with Bourne, Agholor, Meyers, Lee, Harry, Edelman Smith Keene, Aliassi we are highly unlikely to draft a TE with the money and recent picks spent there. Saying that BB is really hard to predict in the draft and drafts the player rather than the position. I really hope we get a decent QB early on as we are in need of one.

i'm not ready to give up on asiasi and Keene yet. Sure they didn't perform their rookie years, but many don't and they never had a full offseason.

One thing is, if they are ready to be pass catching TE's and not blockers now you don't have to ask them to do things they are not ready for. Asiasi was starting to get open later in the year. his TD in the jets game was pretty nice.

I’m with you, I hope that we draft a QB in the first round but I see Smith more like a Hernandez kind of TE. And if we can’t get a QB, a two TE set with Pitts and Smith could be very dangerous.

WR wise, I feel that Edelman is kinda the odd man out. He is old and often injured.

#1 Meyers
#2 Agholor
#3 Bourne
#4 Harry

i put Meyers #1 because I feel many people sleep on him. If he played the same number of snaps all year long instead of starting playing week 7, he would quietly had a 1000+ yds season. I want the patriots to continue to play and not bump him down the depth chart.

i'm not ready to give up on asiasi and Keene yet. Sure they didn't perform their rookie years, but many don't and they never had a full offseason.

One thing is, if they are ready to be pass catching TE's and not blockers now you don't have to ask them to do things they are not ready for. Asiasi was starting to get open later in the year. his TD in the jets game was pretty nice.
If your goal is to draft another offensive player and Pitts is available then i don’t really care about Asiasi or Keen. Kyle Pitts has the potential to be one of the best TE in the NFL. Neither Asiasi or Keen are close to that.

He's a very good receiver. Easily the best all around TE in ***ency.
I am hearing from everyone how good he is, but it makes me wonder why he didn't produce more? Everyone always likes to talk about a new system or a guy wasn't used enough or in the right way. While this can be true, I usually find if a guy didn't get the numbers after 4, the reason why is usually becase he wasn't good enough to get them.

I am hearing from everyone how good he is, but it makes me wonder why he didn't produce more? Everyone always likes to talk about a new system or a guy wasn't used enough or in the right way. While this can be true, I usually find if a guy didn't get the numbers after 4, the reason why is usually becase he wasn't good enough to get them.
I’m kinda in the same place. I love the skill set but if he was so good why Tennessee let him go? I feel like Vrabel is a good coach and that Tennessee try to use him in a lot of different ways and he never really produced.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back