PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Jonnu Smith signs with New England!

My warm, living, human heart tells me Edelman should retire while he can still walk and speak normally. But my cold, dead football heart says if we sign another wide receiver and let Edelman line up as the #3... he'd be perfect. Basically, he'd be what Cole Beasley was for the Bills this year. A tough vet who you look for on 3rd down.

But honestly, Jules, if you feel even a little off, just hang em up. You don't owe us anything more.

Like this signing. Smith is probably the second or third best TE in free agency. He is more potential than production, but he is the most complete of the TEs not on the last leg of their career. I still hope the Pats sign Kyle Rudolph or Jared Cook as a #2 TE.

This is a high contract, but I don't mind it since the Pats have the cap space.

I like him better than Hunter Henry. Great signing.

the market is the market. Want the guy. Got the money. = Pay the man

I like that he's young. Hopefully, our two second year tight ends learn something from him.

I don't understand the money for this deal. I know nothing but about this player, but even if he's the best blocker in the NFL at his position this seems very excessive for a guy whose never had 500 yards receiving in 4 years in the NFL.

Dalton Keene and Devin Asiasi

BB aint playing this year.

65-656062_sadness-clipart-male-sad-man-cartoon-png-transparent.png

Finally they got a TE. Sheesh.

Like this signing. Smith is probably the second or third best TE in free agency. He is more potential than production, but he is the most complete of the TEs not on the last leg of their career. I still hope the Pats sign Kyle Rudolph or Jared Cook as a #2 TE.

This is a high contract, but I don't mind it since the Pats have the cap space.

I feel like adding additional vet TE in front of Asiasi and Keene would just be a progress blocker. It would only take reps and snaps away from players that you just drafted a year ago and that are in desperate need of just that after a crazy COVID-infused offseason and some injuries in their rookie year.

I don't understand the money for this deal. I know nothing but about this player, but even if he's the best blocker in the NFL at his position this seems very excessive for a guy whose never had 500 yards receiving in 4 years in the NFL.
He's a very good receiver. Easily the best all around TE in ***ency.

I liked Henry at market value more because he was already an accomplished player but Jonnu was a close 1B.

He has all the tools to be a chess piece on offense if he can put it all together.

Pretty happy already with how things are going.
I agree with your assessment. I wanted Henry more because I valued him as the best blocking option as an inline TE and thought of Smith as more of Kelce type receiving TE. I'm a bit surprised to see all these posts lauding Smith's blocking skills.

Just hearing about all the activity, so I really haven't wrapped my head around all the signings, and of course we won't know the immediate cap impact for a couple of days. But there is no doubt the money was considerable. And all the deals were relatively long term.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back