PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Jonnu Smith signs with New England!

Find a WR and QB and this team is set

I don't know about "set", but the offense should be a LOT more fun to watch in that scenario, for sure.

This is a great signing, very happy. This guy paired with the 2 kids will be a solid room

I couldn't read the previous posts so sorry if this was already said but this makes so mich Sense from a scheme standpoint to me i am excited great Job Bill

I liked Henry at market value more because he was already an accomplished player but Jonnu was a close 1B.

He has all the tools to be a chess piece on offense if he can put it all together.

Pretty happy already with how things are going.

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

One of the best athletes at the position in the NFL. Prime to breakout as a featured player.

Pats now have three young skill position players for the future:

Jonnu Smith TE age 26
Damien Harris RB age 24
Jakobi Meyers slot WR age 25

Josh McDaniels is a WR signing away from being able to run a competent offense again
And a QB

This guy is versatile in the redzone. I could see mcdaniels using him at times like Hernandez or how the cheifs design plays for Kelce.

nice, so with Cam as the QB the question is, can Jonnu dive to get the ball before it hits the ground? :whistle:
I think belichick suggested a new rule when he brought cam back. Catches on one bounce count. Championship!!!!!

This guy is versatile in the redzone. I could see mcdaniels using him at times like Hernandez or how the cheifs design plays for Kelce.
I remember after playing the Titans Bill made a comment about how Smith is not just a pass catcher and that he is a good blocker and lined up at RB before. Definitely sounds like kind of a Hernandez skillset. I think Hernandez was more of an H-back while Smith is more of a true TE but I think some skills overlap.

I think belichick suggested a new rule when he brought cam back. Catches on one bounce count. Championship!!!!!

Hey, he has a background in lacross! Bouncing in that is a legit strategy from what I can tell ;)

Great signing, love it.

I like the signing, but looking at his career stats, he has never put up huge numbers. Maybe they think they can get more out of him. I know he is very athletic which is what you really need out of your TE.

I like the signing, but looking at his career stats, he has never put up huge numbers. Maybe they think they can get more out of him. I know he is very athletic which is what you really need out of your TE.

There is a great post in the GM lounge thread by @long distance where he explains how Jonnu was on course for almost twice the receiving yards last year before injuries to the Titans OL made him more of an inline blocker.

I would expect the 2 TE sets with Asiasi as Y to return in spectacular fashion.

With potential for Keene to line up in the backfield to go 3 TEs now and then.
I also thought this could set up a 2 TE set, but my prediction is the #2 TE is not yet on the team.....

Good signing, now we have a really good TE... who will be the next offensive weapon???

There is a great post in the GM lounge thread by @long distance where he explains how Jonnu was on course for almost twice the receiving yards last year before injuries to the Titans OL made him more of an inline blocker.

Also, you have to account for what a two-way TE can do for your scheme. Defense trots out a heavy set to stop the run? Play action to your TE who's going to beat 99% of the linebackers assigned to cover him. Defense is in the dime to stop the pass? Let your TE maul the DB's to spring your RB. The true value of a good tight end is in how it disguises your plays and makes your offense more versatile. Big numbers is something reserved for VERY few tight ends each year.

Good signing. It will be interesting to see the cap detail by year and the dead money.

i hope he can get to the next step with us but it will be difficult with Cam Newton as his QB.

Also, you have to account for what a two-way TE can do for your scheme. Defense trots out a heavy set to stop the run? Play action to your TE who's going to beat 99% of the linebackers assigned to cover him. Defense is in the dime to stop the pass? Let your TE maul the DB's to spring your RB. The true value of a good tight end is in how it disguises your plays and makes your offense more versatile. Big numbers is something reserved for VERY few tight ends each year.
Nobody will try to stop the pass until Cam proves he can pass

Exactly. That's why I was referring to Henry through the offseason -- and Jonnu will also fit this mold -- as a chess piece. The ability to create mismatches and exploit them is what made Gronk so valuable to the offense. And its also what will help McDaniels this year a lot when game planning.

Nobody will try to stop the pass until Cam proves he can pass

I think that's overstated, but also irrelevant to the conversation surrounding Smith's lack of "boom" on the stat sheet.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back