PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Johnny Manziel visiting Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess his hoping he falls to 29 or could just be checking the guy out for BOB

BB being BB. Remember the Jets taking Gholston and Denver taking Tebow ? BB does this for giggles.

If he falls to 29, why not ? Or if he falls to 29, BB finds out how much he is getting rid of by trading down...

Running QBs don't last, they get a bunch of highlights in some big regular season games and then they fail. Robert Griffen didn't even last a full season before he got injured because he ran and hasn't been nearly the player he was.
+1 and this was discussed in another thread. As your S.I. cover shows, people have been calling mobile QB's the "wave of the future" for about 30 years now. The only "wave" those mobile QB's are creating is one that floods hospital operating rooms.

BB is very smart. He will have to face him in the future. All about getting to know his enemy
There is no way Belichick is spending his valuable pre-draft visiting time to scout a QB he may face 3 years from now - or may never face at all. By that time, there will be much more valuable info on Manziel than some pro day workout.

IIRC, Belichick did the same with Tebow a couple years ago. He is trying to gauge value, not scout opponents.

There is no way Belichick is spending his valuable pre-draft visiting time to scout a QB he may face 3 years from now - or may never face at all. By that time, there will be much more valuable info on Manziel than some pro day workout.

IIRC, Belichick did the same with Tebow a couple years ago. He is trying to gauge value, not scout opponents.

BB is smart...don't put it past him

There is also the line of thinking that you might end up facing him down the line and such a visit could provide some form of insight in best preparing for that possibility, or that Manziel might have interesting things to say about other prospects of interest to the club.

BB is smart...don't put it past him
Yes he is very smart - certainly smart enough to know that there's a great chance the Patriots never play Manziel for years (especially if an NFC team drafts him) and anything learned today would be less than a drop in the ocean compared to what would be learned watching game film.

Quite frankly, if Belichick was spending his time at this time of year scouting an opponent we may never face (or at least not face for a couple years), instead of actually, you know, preparing for the draft, then that wouldn't be smart. It would be pretty stupid.

We need a backup quarterback. Belichick is in the quarterback market. Belichick wishes to better understand the quality of the top quarterbacks. Perhaps, Belichick feels that he will be better able to understand the possibilities of quarterbacks at various positions in the draft.

After all, Belichick twice used a 3rd for a backup quarterback.

It is simply die diligence to look at this year's crop. And just BTW, Aaron Rodgers slipped in the draft, so such a drop is certainly possible. And yes, the patriots would certainly CONSIDER Manziel at 29.

^ This to an extent. You're only allowed 30 pre-draft inhouse visits.

PFT's thoughts:

Pats may be gauging Manziel?s value in advance of possible trade down | ProFootballTalk

I tend to agree. The team may feel theres a significant chance he falls out of the early draft and a team wants to move up. He's going to steal as many draft picks as he can from whoever wants him were he to fall.

Or, we could all be surprised and take him.

^ This to an extent. You're only allowed 30 pre-draft inhouse visits.

PFT's thoughts:

Pats may be gauging Manziel?s value in advance of possible trade down | ProFootballTalk

I tend to agree. The team may feel theres a significant chance he falls out of the early draft and a team wants to move up. He's going to steal as many draft picks as he can from whoever wants him were he to fall.

Or, we could all be surprised and take him.
+1. QB is a unique position in football - perhaps in all of sports - in the sense that a lot of teams would rather not invite the controversy of having a high profile backup, so it is easy for a QB to fall further than his talent should allow.

Having said that, I would be extremely upset if we wasted a 1st rounder on the guy. I don't think he will ever succeed in the NFL. Those cut-n-juke moves that humiliated the Duke defense will get him killed in the NFL.... but trading the pick would make me happy with the right deal.

Yes he is very smart - certainly smart enough to know that there's a great chance the Patriots never play Manziel for years (especially if an NFC team drafts him) and anything learned today would be less than a drop in the ocean compared to what would be learned watching game film.

Quite frankly, if Belichick was spending his time at this time of year scouting an opponent we may never face (or at least not face for a couple years), instead of actually, you know, preparing for the draft, then that wouldn't be smart. It would be pretty stupid.

read what i quoted from Reiss....insight to other prospects the club is looking at as well as the possibility of facing him in the future

If this isn't an April Fool's joke, it's an April Fool's joke.....
zen.gif

Having said that, I would be extremely upset if we wasted a 1st rounder on the guy. I don't think he will ever succeed in the NFL. Those cut-n-juke moves that humiliated the Duke defense will get him killed in the NFL.... but trading the pick would make me happy with the right deal.

If the Pats waste a first round pick on this bust waiting to happen I will be beyond upset.

This guy has bust written allover him. I have never seen a college QB overlook so many wide open WR's, just to run a around in a circle and chuck it up.

I'd be extremely disappointed if New England took Manziel instead of McCarron. Forget about my being an Alabama Homer. "Johnny Football" is a frikkin' diva, a petulant rat willing to throw his teammates under the bus. He's this year's version of Geno Smith and I don't want anything to do with that type of person.

A locker room cancer whose only consideration is about his own stats and not about the team.

I understand that others opinions may differ, and that's fine. This is how I see him and this situation.

New England could use another QB, one to develop and my personal choice is AJ McCarron. Most folks on this forum know that. There are other good QB's available in this draft, but please, Gods of Football, don't let "Johnny Football" be drafted by the Patriots. :cool:

If this isn't an April Fool's joke, it's an April Fool's joke.....
zen.gif
It's a joke that happened to occur on Apr. 1, not because of it.

I'm not at all impressed by Manziel. At all. Ask me what I think.

what do you think?...of my new found zen master smilie...
zen.gif

McCarron's ceiling is as a backup QB. Manziel obviously has a much higher ceiling but he would require a much higher pick than McCarron, I would prefer we take neither.

what do you think?...of my new found zen master smilie...
zen.gif
I really like that smilie quite a bit. It makes me realize that Johnny Manziel needs humility and wisdom he sorely lacks. Not that it would help compensate for his frail little body which will snap like a brittle twig the first time he's swarmed by an NFL pass rush.

R.I.P. Johnny Football. It's over before it begins. :rip:

BB is very smart. He will have to face him in the future. All about getting to know his enemy

Exactly.

Hey - should Manziel drop like Mallet did I wouldn't rule him out, but Belichick also had Tebow in for an interview prior to the draft, so I wouldn't go overboard on reading too much into it.

Obviously the Patriots are trading Mallet for Houston's #1 overall.

That's crazy talk. There's no way BB would trade Mallet for just one first rounder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes