PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Johnny Football" under NCAA investigation for making money off of autographs

re: "Johnny Football" under NCAA investigation for making money off of autographs

Greg Doyle was on Toucher and Rich this morning and didn't seem like a guy with an agenda. Said he loved Manziel and defended him right up until he was too drunk to attend the Manning football camp. To that point he tought he was just another 20 year old having fun but when you're too drunk to do your job it's a red flag.

He said he still loves seeing the kid play but a few things have soured him on Manziel the person besides the drinking.

First off, and this one blew me away, he doesn't need the money from the autograph signings. His family is stinking rich. His great grandfather was a Texas oil barron and nobody in the family has worked in a couple of generations. They're just living on enormous trust funds. So he basically put A&M's season on the line so he had some cash which wasn't flowing through his parents.

Second he took all of his courses at A&M online last year so he wouldn't have to mingle with the common student body and has tweeted about it and cannot wait to get out of A&M complaining about how bad it is to deal with.

So to get this straight: Your family has more money than god, you have thousands of people at your school and country wide that adore you but you're too good for them and you consistently put yourself before the team. Check, check, check. Survey says self entitled rich douchebag.

I had been rooting for the kid feel he's going to crash in a Ryan Leaf or Maurice Clarrett fashion.

re: "Johnny Football" under NCAA investigation for making money off of autographs

His family enables him, of course. He whined to his dad about getting some BMW or Benz or something like that and his dad gave in. He whines about something and his family comes running to defend him. Even articles meant to defend him make him sound like a petulant five year old.

If proven to be true, given his many and varied indiscretions since winning the Heisman Trophy, there's really no description for Manziel other than a spoiled dipshít.

And that sums the idiot up very nicely.

Get used to it, this will become the new normal.

If I may serious post for a moment (I will) it's really ******* disgusting the way our media preys - yes preys - on young, immature or unbalanced players and puts them under a microscope which leads to a perpetual cycle of self-destruction while we, the media's consumers, gobble it up hungrily.

We watch these young men, ill-equipped as they are to handle adulthood let alone being in ESPN's crosshairs, and we go 'tsk tsk' as they implode under pressure that would very well lead to any of us doing the same thing.

How many of us were immature *******s who grew up into mature *******s but would have gone veering off the tracks into crazy town if we had the celebrity and the attention of a Johnny Football? If we're being honest I'd say I could very well have done this same stupid **** were I his age and had his celebrity status.

And it sells. It sells ads and it sells papers, because we love watching the young and promising self-destruct. It's digital rubber necking without the trouble of having to leave your home to find a good accident scene.

We sure do love to eat the ones we worship.

This. Pretty much spot on!

Vick isn't a fair comparison. The best team that Manziel and A&M played last year was Alabama. Watch the highlights from that game. Saban employed a very similar gameplan against him that he used to do against Tebow. The pocket was pretty consistently collapsing on Manziel and he was making some beautiful throws from there still, sometimes after moving his feet to buy more time. Of course, there were instances in which he would take off running, but if nobody is getting open quickly enough and you see a lane as a mobile QB, you are going to do that.

I actually watched the Alabama highlights before my last post and it only solidified my position. Whenever Alabama got pressure he scrambled, sometimes making some crazy throws on the run. What I didn't see was him staying composed in the pocket, re-setting his feet to make the throw. There were times where he had all the time in the world because he had a very good O-Line, particularly two elite OT's, but for the most part his throws were 3 step drops or scheming for him to throw on the run. Alabama actually had most of their success by not bringing too much pressure, forcing him to throw from the pocket and not overcommitting to allow Manziel to scramble. Right now I simply don't see him being able to successfully run and NFL offense.

Hubris..he's vainglorious...

I actually watched the Alabama highlights before my last post and it only solidified my position. Whenever Alabama got pressure he scrambled, sometimes making some crazy throws on the run. What I didn't see was him staying composed in the pocket, re-setting his feet to make the throw. There were times where he had all the time in the world because he had a very good O-Line, particularly two elite OT's, but for the most part his throws were 3 step drops or scheming for him to throw on the run. Alabama actually had most of their success by not bringing too much pressure, forcing him to throw from the pocket and not overcommitting to allow Manziel to scramble. Right now I simply don't see him being able to successfully run and NFL offense.

Your mistake was watching the highlights. I watched the actual game and, while the gameplan you specifically state from Alabama is correct (because it's the same gameplan that Saban devised vs. Tebow), Manziel did make several very good throws from the pocket which is why A&M ended up winning. Even in the highlights, though, it shows some of the very good throws that he made from the pocket.

Texas A&M Highlights vs Alabama 11-10-2012 - YouTube

The full game is also available on YouTube, FWIW. Also, I agree with your last sentence, but not because of any perceived physical limitations. I don't think he'll be successful in the NFL because of his fragile mindset.

Very very sorry. Sorry, that he got caught...

Your mistake was watching the highlights. I watched the actual game and, while the gameplan you specifically state from Alabama is correct (because it's the same gameplan that Saban devised vs. Tebow), Manziel did make several very good throws from the pocket which is why A&M ended up winning. Even in the highlights, though, it shows some of the very good throws that he made from the pocket.

Texas A&M Highlights vs Alabama 11-10-2012 - YouTube

The full game is also available on YouTube, FWIW. Also, I agree with your last sentence, but not because of any perceived physical limitations. I don't think he'll be successful in the NFL because of his fragile mindset.

I'm not questioning his ability to throw the ball because he has a pretty good arm, my criticism is I haven't seen him throw the ball from in the pocket while under pressure. Even with all of these mobile QB's we have seen in recent years, NFL games are won and lost in the pocket. Often times that A&M O-Line game him a lot of time and a huge pocket to throw out of, in which any decent QB can make the play. But I still didn't see him step up to avoid pressure and re-set his feet and make a throw. He can throw from a clean pocket but any pressure and he is off, and he certainly won't get anywhere near the same amount of time to make those throws in the NFL. He is physically talented I am not going to argue that, and like Tebow I think he could win a couple of games on his own through his sheer brilliance. But I just can't see his game translating to running an NFL offense. While a great runner his footwork in the pocket is sloppy, he isn't running anything close to a pro style system and I don't even know what to think about his ability to read defenses and diagnose coverages. Even before taking into consideration his character issues and attitude I think he is a mid/late round flier that you hope to hit gold with but don't have any real expectations of.

My greatest hope is that the Jets trade up to draft him early in the first round next year:D

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back