Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
OTL -- NCAA investigating Johnny Manziel for profiting from autographs - ESPN

MIAMI -- The NCAA is investigating whether Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel was paid for signing hundreds of autographs on photos and sports memorabilia in January, "Outside the Lines" has learned. Two sources tell "Outside the Lines" that the Texas A&M quarterback agreed to sign memorabilia in exchange for a five-figure flat fee during his trip to Miami for the Discover BCS National Championship. Both sources said they witnessed the signing, though neither saw the actual exchange of money.

Three sources said Manziel signed photographs, footballs, mini football helmets and other items at the request of an autograph broker named Drew Tieman. Two sources, who are aware of the signing arrangement, told "Outside the Lines" that Tieman approached Manziel on Jan. 6, when he landed at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to attend the game between Alabama and Notre Dame the next day.

After that meeting, three sources said, Manziel, accompanied by his friend and personal assistant Nathan Fitch, visited Tieman's residence and signed hundreds of items in the main room of the apartment despite the fact that there were many people in the room. Before Manziel left South Florida, after taking in the title game, he signed hundreds of autographs more, one source said.

The source also told "Outside the Lines" that James Garland, the NCAA's assistant director of enforcement, in June contacted Tieman and at least one person associated with the signings. The source said Garland, who did not return calls from "Outside the Lines" for comment, told the person that he wanted to talk about Manziel signing items that had appeared for sale on eBay. An NCAA spokeswoman cited NCAA policy to "Outside the Lines" and declined to comment.

Personally, I don't see the big deal that the kid profited off of being himself. If I could profit off of being me, I would do it in a heart beat. That said, it isn't the smartest thing to do, knowing how overly-strict the NCAA is when it comes to the athletes profiting off of their football exploits while being in college. Couple that with his reported drinking in order to deal with the pressure of being him, and his draft stock could very well fall.

re: "Johnny Football" under NCAA investigation for making money off of autographs

As you said, not too smart to do. The rules are clearly stated and the NCAA loves busting kids on this stuff.

Outside of that, I find it crazy that a player like Manziel can't make money off his autograph but his school can make money from selling his jersey (so long as it doesn't have his name on the back), signing on with EA Sports as they put his "likeness" in their college football game, etc. I'm curious to see how this turns out. I hope for the best for Manziel as I think he can be a great player in the NFL.

re: "Johnny Football" under NCAA investigation for making money off of autographs

As you said, not too smart to do. The rules are clearly stated and the NCAA loves busting kids on this stuff.

Outside of that, I find it crazy that a player like Manziel can't make money off his autograph but his school can make money from selling his jersey (so long as it doesn't have his name on the back), signing on with EA Sports as they put his "likeness" in their college football game, etc. I'm curious to see how this turns out. I hope for the best for Manziel as I think he can be a great player in the NFL.

There's no question to me that he has all of the physical tools to be a great QB in the NFL. My question mark, when it comes to Manziel, is the mental aspect of it. The drinking to deal with the pressure of being him indicates a fragile mindset that could come to rear it's ugly head when the competition gets kicked up about 20 notches in the pro's.

Personally, I don't see the big deal that the kid profited off of being himself. If I could profit off of being me, I would do it in a heart beat. That said, it isn't the smartest thing to do, knowing how overly-strict the NCAA is when it comes to the athletes profiting off of their football exploits while being in college. Couple that with his reported drinking in order to deal with the pressure of being him, and his draft stock could very well fall.

I think his stock is falling anyway in that his play is too undisciplined to be attractive to NFL decision makers. It might be that he has no ambition to be an NFL player, or that he knows he'll never be a high pick and therefore he doesn't care about draft stock.

However, more importantly, if he gets a suspension, he's letting his team mates down.

I think his stock is falling anyway in that his play is too undisciplined to be attractive to NFL decision makers. It might be that he has no ambition to be an NFL player, or that he knows he'll never be a high pick and therefore he doesn't care about draft stock.

However, more importantly, if he gets a suspension, he's letting his team mates down.

If you remember, a lot of decision makers were saying the same thing about Roethlisberger in 2004 as well. I don't see Manziel holding onto the football as long as Roethlisberger has a tendancy to do (causing numerous injuries over the last several seasons), but you do otherwise have a point.

This kid is really trying his hardest to 'F' up his draft value :crazy:

If you remember, a lot of decision makers were saying the same thing about Roethlisberger in 2004 as well. I don't see Manziel holding onto the football as long as Roethlisberger has a tendancy to do (causing numerous injuries over the last several seasons), but you do otherwise have a point.

I can see people making a Russell Wilson comp for Manziel but I don't think it works in that Wilson doesn't freelance like Manziel does. The coaching staff have done a great job in giving Manziel a light rein but I just don't think an NFL HC or OC will be quite so happy to let Manziel in effect run the offense. As for Roethlisberger, I'm afraid 2004 was before my draft time.

And just a note on Manziel. I may be unsure of his NFL capabilities, particularly as a QB, but I still think he's about the most exciting football player I've seen and I love to watch him play.

I have never seen a guy implode his draft stock in one offseason as big as Johnny Football. I think it is a minor thing, but the NCAA looks at this as a huge thing though.

The good news is that if the Pats want him, he might be available in the sixth or seventh round in next year's draft the rate he is going.

Whether you agree with the rules or not they exist and there are SERIOUS consequences to breaking them. The fact that Manziel doesn’t seem to get this only confirms my opinion that he would NOT work as a Patriots QB.

DO NOT WANT!

I have never seen a guy implode his draft stock in one offseason as big as Johnny Football.

Get used to it, this will become the new normal.

If I may serious post for a moment (I will) it's really ******* disgusting the way our media preys - yes preys - on young, immature or unbalanced players and puts them under a microscope which leads to a perpetual cycle of self-destruction while we, the media's consumers, gobble it up hungrily.

We watch these young men, ill-equipped as they are to handle adulthood let alone being in ESPN's crosshairs, and we go 'tsk tsk' as they implode under pressure that would very well lead to any of us doing the same thing.

How many of us were immature *******s who grew up into mature *******s but would have gone veering off the tracks into crazy town if we had the celebrity and the attention of a Johnny Football? If we're being honest I'd say I could very well have done this same stupid **** were I his age and had his celebrity status.

And it sells. It sells ads and it sells papers, because we love watching the young and promising self-destruct. It's digital rubber necking without the trouble of having to leave your home to find a good accident scene.

We sure do love to eat the ones we worship.

With all the different incidents for manziel that have taken place this offseason it's obvious he has the self destruct gene .

Another possibility is that manziel's father has gone on record about his disdain for the NCAA rules about student athletes being allowed to make money on their name . He has a lot of money and might be going after the NCAA legally on this issue .

I have never seen a guy implode his draft stock in one offseason as big as Johnny Football. I think it is a minor thing, but the NCAA looks at this as a huge thing though.

The good news is that if the Pats want him, he might be available in the sixth or seventh round in next year's draft the rate he is going.

Vontaze Burfict and Donte Paige-Moss.

Get used to it, this will become the new normal.

If I may serious post for a moment (I will) it's really ******* disgusting the way our media preys - yes preys - on young, immature or unbalanced players and puts them under a microscope which leads to a perpetual cycle of self-destruction while we, the media's consumers, gobble it up hungrily.

We watch these young men, ill-equipped as they are to handle adulthood let alone being in ESPN's crosshairs, and we go 'tsk tsk' as they implode under pressure that would very well lead to any of us doing the same thing.

How many of us were immature *******s who grew up into mature *******s but would have gone veering off the tracks into crazy town if we had the celebrity and the attention of a Johnny Football? If we're being honest I'd say I could very well have done this same stupid **** were I his age and had his celebrity status.

And it sells. It sells ads and it sells papers, because we love watching the young and promising self-destruct. It's digital rubber necking without the trouble of having to leave your home to find a good accident scene.

We sure do love to eat the ones we worship.

Human nature.

Human nature.

It wasn't always that way. This country used to celebrate their heroes (even in sports) being great and mourn them when they fell. Somewhere along the line, we developed a massive inferiority complex where the circumstances in fnord's post have become the norm.

It wasn't always that way. This country used to celebrate their heroes (even in sports) being great and mourn them when they fell. Somewhere along the line, we developed a massive inferiority complex where the circumstances in fnord's post have become to norm.

Yes, excellence and exceptionalism are SO 20th century.

Yes, excellence and exceptionalism are SO 20th century.

They exist today, but the country (for the most part) loves to try to knock them down. Sports are simply a microcosm. For an example that hits close to home, look no further than the 2007 Patriots. They were knocking on the door of being the greatest team of all time. Instead of relishing the opportunity to be able to tell their grandchildren that they watched the greatest football team of all time take the field (like some older folks tend to do with the '72 Dolphins or even the '85 Bears), the country cheered when they went down, under the guise that it was all about some minor rules infraction that the media blew up. There was something more deep seeded there. This country no longer appreciates greatness. They like to see it knocked down. They again cheered the next year when the greatest quarterback ever to play the game got his knee bent on a filthy hit in the opening game of the season.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I'll go back to Manziel now.

This kid is following his father's disdain of the NCAA and is flaunting how he is above the same rules that thousands of collegiate athletes have to follow.

He doesn't have to sign autographs. He wants to sign autographs and it is becoming clear that he doesn't care if he gets caught, including if it is proven that he was paid to do so which is even more strange considering the families' financial situation. It isn't just a few autographs that he is signing either. Based on the initial reports, he is being paid to sign hundreds if not thousands of autographs.

I don't like the NCAA profit rules for collegiate athletes but Manziel is a kid who has an attitude problem and if I am in player personnel, I don't want him just like other Heisman finalists who think that they are above the game.

Is it me?. ..or does Manziel already appear to be an arrogant and ****y player.

He'll come down to earth in the NFL if he thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes:

Stupid of him to do it, knowing how much of a stick the NCAA has up its ass about this stuff. Insanely hypocritical of the NCAA at the same time. I really, really wish that the whole NCAA institution would just go away. It does far more harm than good

Is it me?. ..or does Manziel already appear to be an arrogant and ****y player.

He'll come down to earth in the NFL if he thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes:

That's one of the primary reasons why I'm worried about him from the mental aspect of the game.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back