PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Milton III=Anthony Richardson But in a Middle Round?

No doubt he has a cannon, strongest arm of any draftable QB. I think accuracy is an issue. I would take him in the 5th round if available.

It's interesting. I'm a Zappe guy bcz I'm a fan of the moxie despite the relative suckage, but I know the Pats realistically have to draft a QB in the early rounds, and they have to keep Brisk. I would absolutely love for the Pats the get Milton in the 5th since he somehow became my draft Beankie, but rationally I just don't see how that would make sense if they have to keep 4 QBs on the roster. The last time they had to keep 4 QBs on the opening day roster was an unmitigated disaster in the long run.

I'm split on the idea of drafting Milton. Would drafting two rookie QBs create a some turmoil in terms of some players liking one guy, the rest the other guy? Might not be good for team unity.

On the other hand he has a beautiful deep ball and he would be great insurance if whoever the Pats draft to be QB early doesn't pan out. I especially like grabbing Milton if the Pats trade down, and add extra draft picks. Penix/Milton and extra draft picks - with the extra picks allowing the Pats to move up from #34 into the first round for an OT?

No doubt he has a cannon, strongest arm of any draftable QB. I think accuracy is an issue. I would take him in the 5th round if available.
It's been reported that his accuracy is a BIG issue.

He has a cannon (great trait)
He has accuracy problems (possibly can be corrected)
The question is, and I do not have the answer: (how is his processing intelligence) cannot be corrected, and not worth the time if it is bad)

Joe Milton compares favorably physically to Anthony Richardson, the fourth player taken in last year’s draft. Fourth.

They both started 12 games. Here are the comparisons:
Richardson had 176 completions out of 327 attempts (53.8%) with 17 touchdowns and 7 interceptions.

Milton had 229 completions out of 354 attempts (64.7%) with 20 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.
Freakin steal of the draft. It’s so obvious. He showed continual improvement. Give him a year or two of tutelage, and whatever team drafts him will have the next Josh Allen.

Are you guys not seeing the obvious?

A local reporter on Milton:
Anyone who watched Milton during his college career knows the legend of how far he can throw a football − and knows of his struggle to find consistency. Coaches repeatedly fell in love with his arm strength. It explains why Jim Harbaugh started Milton at Michigan in 2020, and why Josh Heupel anointed Milton as UT’s starter in 2021 before realizing Hendon Hooker was a better quarterback equipped with a lesser arm.

If chicks dig the long ball, then coaches are suckers for quarterbacks who toss a 70-yard pass as easily as they flick an apple core into a waste bin. JaMarcus Russell earned acclaim for throwing a ball 70 yards from his knees. Neat parlor trick. Not particularly relevant to playing quarterback in the NFL.

No one questions Milton’s physical tools, but he spent six years in college trying to become a complete quarterback. At times, he pulled it all together. Tennessee’s win against Kentucky last season and its first half against Alabama come to mind. Overall, though, he was a mid-tier SEC quarterback playing within a quarterback-friendly system. He supplied a career-best season in 2023, a credit to his persistence, but I believe Tennessee’s best quarterback was its backup.

Joe Milton compares favorably physically to Anthony Richardson, the fourth player taken in last year’s draft. Fourth.

Freakin steal of the draft. It’s so obvious. He showed continual improvement. Give him a year or two of tutelage, and whatever team drafts him will have the next Josh Allen.

I like you man but this is an extremely casual observation. I can't tell if you're being serious. Richardson had box score scouts perplexed bc they have no idea how to actually scout, evaluate, chart a prospect. Especially a quarterback.

Richardson is a lot younger. Was much better when pressured. Much better coming off his first read. Milton read half the field the majority of the time. I could go on but they're not the same prospect although I really like Milton (I have a 3rd on him)

If AR15 didn't get hurt the oroy race would have been a lot different or at least had another real contender in there. I don't hate any team but the Colts. I'm excited to see that offense bc it's loaded and probably only getting more talent.

*side note*
everyone that knows or has read me knows I'm a Zappe fan. Big fan before he was a "name" Had him on the PTP list. Always will root for him but he's got to go. He's not what you need if you bring in a guy like Maye. Zappe still has hopes to start and even though Maye should be sitting Zappe won't be "helping" him bc hes still very much in "compete" mode coming off the last few years. I expect him to get dealt or released (not sure about the #'s but they cant be huge) at some point.

I have almost the same exact thoughts as Phil Simms on Milton (which I brought up in the QB thread). This was one thing that stuck out to me because I saw this a lot and was having trouble figuring out why pretty much everyone else says otherwise:

"...Read defenses, you know it wasn't like he looked at one guy. He could look to the right and find the guy coming in from the left side. He did all that, I thought, really well."

Also was relieved he agreed with me on this: "He became a better passer, as I watched games later in the year."

No on Milton unless you just want someone to chuck the ball 70 yards. Watched him his whole career at UT. Inaccurate and constantly overthrows his receivers.

No on Milton unless you just want someone to chuck the ball 70 yards. Watched him his whole career at UT. Inaccurate and constantly overthrows his receivers.
The stats I’ve read show his improvement. Did you see improvement?

Yes, he’s raw. Green. Only 12 starts. But if we take a QB early, why not consider double dipping at the position a la SF with Lance and Purdy?

Yes, he’s raw. Green. Only 12 starts. But if we take a QB early, why not consider double dipping at the position a la SF with Lance and Purdy?
FYI, Lance and Purdy were not taken in the same draft, and that Milton's had 21 starts total, so not too green and enough to justifiably say that if he hasn't figured it out by now, then he probably won't ever. If TB12 were still QB, I'd be screaming from the rooftops to take this guy, but considering I think someone's gonna grab Milton in the 4th-ish, I just don't see the "new" GMs risking their jobs by taking Milton as the only QB in the draft. If he's still there in the 6th (and thankfully by perception he had a terrrrible Senior Bowl) after the Pats take a QB earlier, then I'd be all for it.

Edit: Crazy irrational me would love to see him be the only QB taken to see how many heads would explode in NE. This could've potentially happened if BB were still around, but it's just not gonna happen. Too many safe (and better) options, and RKK just won't go for it.

Some improvements yes, but at times still painful to watch. His arm is ridiculous though.

The body of Cam Newton with the arm cannon of Jeff George, both of whom were first players taken in their respective drafts. What’s not to like about day three Joe Milton?

The body of Cam Newton with the arm cannon of Jeff George, both of whom were first players taken in their respective drafts. What’s not to like about day three Joe Milton?
I almost threw money on him going 1st round because Richardson sucked at UF and had a good combine and now looks promising...Very similar players although Milton is bigger....Easily worth a Day 3 flier

This video says it all to me:

Interesting insight into his history with this article going into last season. As a starter in 2020 for Michigan, he broke his thumb in the 2nd game but kept playing (no wonder he sucked the rest of the season). 2nd game in his 1st season starting for Ten, he tore ligaments in his ankle. No wonder he doesn't really run - coaches had to encourage him to do that the rest of the time in Ten when he was healthy. Really like this guy. Will probably be loosely following him the rest of his career (strongly assuming the Pats don't get him).

Are you Phil Simms? Just watched a video where he said, "Joe Milton... if he's there in the 5th round, my ass is taking him!"

We got him! The sky is the limit with this guy.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back