PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Flacco?

CLE was loaded with talent. Pats not so much.

We'll get the Jete Flacco.

No thanks.

How do you think any backup will do with this current crew?

Even if Flacco is the third QB, if we draft a rookie, I want some experience in the room.

You're thinking wins. I'm thinking mentor to develop positive habits.

Maybe Flacco will be too expensive. That's the only reason I would say no.

Macs arm is weak, pocket presence terrible. It's time to move on from Mac
New offense that leans towards short passing which is Corkys game.
OL should be the 2nd round pick, LT has been a weak spot for ages.
Need MHJr because the NE WR corp is plain pitiful.

Don’t see any reason not to bring in a veteran leader on a reasonable contract who you feel can at best be a competent backup if the rookie is ready, or at worst start the season and allow the rookie time to get settled in. What’s the alternative? Having a rookie with Zappe and/or Mac who haven’t shown they can play the part?

I really don't understand.

Why would anyone want a QB who just went through the "high draft pick rookie process," that ended with fighting with coaches, talking behind backs, and general discontent, if we draft a QB at 3?

Mac's a FA in a year. Where would this go???

Russell Wilson?

I have no idea what Wilson will command, and he doesn't look like a great mentor to me.

We're talking backup. If the #3 player in the draft can't start from day one, he's already in bust territory.

Patrick Mahomes sat his rookie season, Tom Brady sat his rookie season. You don’t sit them because they aren’t capable, you sit them to give them a full season to learn and have a full understanding of how to run the offense before sending them out to do it. That’s a smart way to bring your young QB into the NFL.

No. Wilson doesn't turn it over alot.. 24-8 were his 2023 numbers . Wilson would be perfect. I'd like to have him. Wilson, draft pick, and another FA vet.
I read that Wilson is willing to play for the vet minimum as long as he starts because he's getting $30 something million from Denver already. That would be the most Kraft thing ever.

Patrick Mahomes sat his rookie season, Tom Brady sat his rookie season. You don’t sit them because they aren’t capable, you sit them to give them a full season to learn and have a full understanding of how to run the offense before sending them out to do it. That’s a smart way to bring your young QB into the NFL.

Brady was a sixth round pick and Mahomes was a mistake. Every veteran was saying Mahomes should have been starting. Plus KC was an actual contender for the Super Bowl, having been in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years before Mahomes took over. Would Russell Wilson make this team a playoff contender?

The NFL is different today than even Brady's day. If a #3 OA pick can't start right out of the blocks, he's a bust.

I read that Wilson is willing to play for the vet minimum as long as he starts because he's getting $30 something million from Denver already. That would be the most Kraft thing ever.
Now that is very interesting... your right that is his language. Basically a QB for free and he would likely be the starter here.

New offense that leans towards short passing which is Corkys game.
OL should be the 2nd round pick, LT has been a weak spot for ages.
Need MHJr because the NE WR corp is plain pitiful.
All last season was short passing... That's the entire point.. he couldn't push the ball down the field... When teams took away the short passing there was nothing

All last season was short passing... That's the entire point.. he couldn't push the ball down the field... When teams took away the short passing there was nothing
Who did NE have for a WR?

Bunch of bums.

Who was blocking for Corky Mac?

Turnstiles like Brown.

Who did NE have for a WR?

Bunch of bums.

Who was blocking for Corky Mac?

Turnstiles like Brown.
Sorry can't take the excuses anymore. He literally threw ints to lose games. Under Patricia they were literally a run first and run primary team. Even with a run game he stunk

How do you think any backup will do with this current crew?

Even if Flacco is the third QB, if we draft a rookie, I want some experience in the room.

You're thinking wins. I'm thinking mentor to develop positive habits.

Maybe Flacco will be too expensive. That's the only reason I would say no.
I'd rather sign Brissett who has familiarity w/ AvP's system, is younger, and should be a good role model.

seahawks-russell.gif

I'd rather sign Brissett who has familiarity w/ AvP's system, is younger, and should be a good role model.

I would as well, but he cost 8 million last year, and maybe he doesn't want to back up a top rookie.

Flacco is only one name. Maybe he would cost the same as Brissett after last season.

It's not like there's that much difference between the two in terms of big picture.

I would as well, but he cost 8 million last year, and maybe he doesn't want to back up a top rookie.

Flacco is only one name. Maybe he would cost the same as Brissett after last season.

It's not like there's that much difference between the two in terms of big picture.
Idk, I remember when Ravens drafted Lamar how Flacco wasn't thrilled about mentoring him. He went to DEN and sucked. Same for his stint at Jete. He's a statue back there and at 39 won't be any better.

Brissett has accepted his role as a back-up QB. He's not great but in CLE his passing stats were pretty decent. Spending $8M + Zappe's $1M + $6.5M for rookie QB = $15.5M, a bargain for a QB room (6% of cap).

Flacco is a statue. Brissett has some mobility and is big enough that blitzing DBs have a hard time bringing him down alone.

The Pats OLine is very likely going to be a work in process early next season. Just upgrading personnel is not enough. OLines need to work with cohesion and that takes game time to build.

That’s why I think it’s a fool’s folly to play a #3 overall QB, at least, early next season. Getting of to a good start with the new offense is important to the “big picture “.

Flacco is a statue. Brissett has some mobility and is big enough that blitzing DBs have a hard time bringing him down alone.

The Pats OLine is very likely going to be a work in process early next season. Just upgrading personnel is not enough. OLines need to work with cohesion and that takes game time to build.
“.

In 2022 Brissett started 11 games for Cleveland with debatably better players around him and went 4-7, so I'm not feeling much difference.

I had this debate with Andy for what felt like months Mac's rookie year. The jump in competition and game speed is immense no matter what position you are talking about. My personal preference for every rookie is to sit behind a veteran and get in about 10-20% of snaps with a specific set in the playbook. Like have a rookie tackle be the swing and the 3rd TE jumbo formation blocker. Gives them very specific things to work on and takes away the pressure of being a day one starter. They also get a free year in the gym to focus with a NFL training staff to grow the way they need them to. The jump for QBs is even more immense because you have to know everybodies responsibilities, including the defense. I can tell you as a high school offensive lineman i played with a bunch of guys that only knew on 110 white sweep erika erika i have to reach block the guy head up or outside of me and we go on two. QBs cant do that, you have to know the entire play and all the ways its going to adjust on the fly and the NFL is more complex with bigger, faster players. You look at the top 20 QBs of all time almost to a man they sat thier rookie year. Brady, mahomes, Montana, Rodgers, i could go on but you get my point. The ones that didnt had a crap rookie year like Pay me a ton or Big Ben. The bigger issue is potentially ruining an elite prospect with a crap team. Derrick Carr has repeatedly said his big brother David is a way better QB, and that he should have been starting for a long time. Problem is the texans put absolute garbage in front of him and he got sacked like 70 times a year for his first 3 seasons. By the time they built an actual team he was punch drunk and gun shy.

I am 100% all in on Drake Maye, i think he is going to be the next top 10 qb for the next decade if he makes it to 3. However, i recognize he has holes in his game and a year of sitting behind a flacco or brisset etc would be enormous for him to reach that potential. I would rather suck for 2024 and build the team around our rookie qb, then throw him to the wolves behind a **** offensive line that makes him jumpy. Its going to be a 2 year rebuild, but if done properly (sitting rookies for a year behind joe flacco like stop gaps IMO) then it will lead to long term contention results.
Unfortunately Pats will be out of luck for having Maye available. He will be taken at 2.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back