Joe Fitzgerald Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I don't pick up newspapers much anymore, but I'm glad that I picked up the Herald this morning. I couldn't find a link to the article so I'm reprinting it here. It hits the nail on the head;

Plenty of Pats agony led to the ecstacy

The loathing that football fans across America reportedly have for the Patriots has an easy explanation: They hate us because they ain’t us.

But anyone subscribing to such nonsensical hatred has a flawed memory, forgetting that Patriot fans, once again giddy with Super Bowl excitement, know what it’s like to be on the outside looking in, watching someone else’s celebration.

Do these knockers remember 1975 when the Pats were 3-11? How about 1981 when they were 2-14?

Patriot fans have paid a high price for the good times that are rolling now.

If you’ve spent your life here you know what it’s like to languish in a valley of dashed dreams, hoping to someday experience how sweet life must be at the top of the mountain.

Boston fans need no reminders.

A favorite memory here from the years this column covered sports is an off-day morning when both the Celtics and Bruins were in their locker rooms. “You know why the Celtics have all those banners don’t you?” Brad Park quipped. “They don’t have to play Montreal.”

That puckish thought was brought to Kevin McHale, a Minnesota boy with hockey in his DNA, who replied, “Tell Brad that when it comes to basketball we are Montreal.”

But now it’s the Patriots who’ve established the gold standard for winning, dominating their opposition like no one has since Bill Russell retired 50 years ago.

Who goes to nine Super Bowls in 18 seasons? That’s no dream; that’s a hallucination.

Yet here we are, and now we’re told yahoos and assorted Johnny-come-latelies around the country resent us?

Really? Please. Let ‘em pound sand.

The Patriots, as much as any pro franchise, know life’s not always fair. After the Jets won the 1969 Super Bowl their mercurial offensive coordinator, Clive Rush, was hired to coach the Pats, who had gone 4-10.

Rush brought four of those Jets here with him, all of whom sported gaudy championship rings.

“They went out of their way to flash them in front of us, often at inappropriate times,” lineman Lenny St. Jean, a good guy who was often maligned in his 10 seasons here, recalled years later.

“What could we say? They had them and we didn’t. But by the time training camp ended all four had been cut. Imagine that? They were the champions and we were the bums, but they couldn’t make our team.”

No, the Patriots and their long-suffering fans owe apologies to no one for being in Atlanta tomorrow, licking their chops for another championship.

They’ve paid the price.

Damn right. As someone who remembers the bad old days and who now lives Deep in Enema Territory amidst Steal-ers, Philthys and Murderer-Worshippers, I pray to Ganja that I can tell EACH and EVERY ONE of these mother-feckers on Monday to PISS THE FECK OFF!

Hopes and dreams all, I fear.

Last edited:
When I was in college in the early 90s they went 14-58. Senior year in HS they were 5-11. My first year of really following them they went 2-14 in 81.

I've have no problem feeling I deserve this.

Zero.

Last edited:
Joe Fitzgerald: Stereotypical Boston name or most stereotypical Boston name?

Cute little article but really......
Playing the "woe was once me" card?
Why the guilt?

Embrace the hate!!!

I prefer to stuff the Pats total success down bitter hater throats and up their ______.

Let's have some fun with math

Pats have been to 9 SBs in 18 years....50%
Pats have been to 11 SBs in 33 years...33%
Pats have been to 11 SBs in 53 years...20.7%
Pats have filled 11 of 106 SB slots in 53 years.....10.4%
Average NFL team should have played in 3.3 SBs (didn't adjust for fewer teams pre expansions)
Patriots have played in 3.3 times as many SBs as the average NFL team (see above qualification)

I've have no problem feeling I deserve this.

Zero.
Damn feckin right.

We all DESERVE this win.

We all DESERVE to match - at the VERY least - the rancid Sh!tsdirt Steal-ers number of trophies.

****K the rams.

****K everyone who wants them to win.

And most especially ****K everyone who wants us to lose. ****K them all to hell.

Joe Fitzgerald: Stereotypical Boston name or most stereotypical Boston name?

He's one of the writers that I've always enjoyed and he's making a great point in this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes