PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Graham NE Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope give me Amaro and Troy Niklas and Hakeem Nicks,and Jairus Byrd and still have next years first. Bing Bang Boom Dee Brown!

Make it stop.

No, make it happen. Tell Graham "let's twist your old teams nuts and the league while we're at it for allowing you to get low-balled. Make him an offer and tell the league we'll relinquish our 1st round pick in 2014 and the other in 2016. Get more lawyers involved along with the expected grievance and make the league and Saints look stupid.

Clearing Up Jimmy Graham Franchise Tag Myths - Canal Street Chronicles

"They do not need to both be first round picks in this years NFL Draft. I would assume it would be one in 2014 and one in 2015, though the CBA doesn't seem to specify."

Tell Graham, let's see how you're soon-to-be ex-employer likes being exploited by a loophole. Right back atcha!

If we could line up a trade for a high to mid 2nd for Mallet in this weak QB draft class, that would offset #29. Now that would be a classic thumb your nose at the powers that be Belichick move, and we add an awesome talent.

If you don't think this guy is worth 10-11 mil a year, I respectfully disagree. He's 27. I love the "I could see the 'Hawks doing that" people. Why NOT NE. I'll take Morts speculation over anyone on this board any day, and twice on Sunday.

No, make it happen. Tell Graham "let's twist your old teams nuts and the league while we're at it for allowing you to get low-balled. Make him an offer and tell the league we'll relinquish our 1st round pick in 2014 and the other in 2016.

Not every NFL rule is in the CBA. I can not find a link at this time so you will have to trust me on this. The rule covers 2014 and 2015. After the draft the rule will cover 2015 and 2016. Because it covers 2014 teams without a first round pick in 2014 like Indy can not sign Graham to an offer without first obtaining a first round pick that is better than their slotted position.

Can't see the Saints letting him slip away. Similar to the way we say, "Get Brady weapons for a final run", I'm sure Brees wants Graham for a run.

Can't see the Saints letting him slip away. Similar to the way we say, "Get Brady weapons for a final run", I'm sure Brees wants Graham for a run.
There's only so far the Saints can go, though. If wanted to give two firsts for Graham (which I strongly doubt anybody does), then it wouldn't be terribly difficult to propose a contract that is nearly impossible for the Saints to match. They currently only have $1.6M in cap room with Graham counting for $7M, so someone were to offer Graham a contract with a $17M first year cap hit, then the Saints would have to find around $15M just to keep Graham, sign draft picks, and fill out their roster.

I also believe there's no rule against instantly restructuring a contract, so if we hypothetically assumed the Pats got $20M under the cap, then they could offer him a contract with no signing bonus but a $20M first year salary and then restructure most of that into a bonus after the Saints pass on matching, making his cap hit quite a bit lower than $20M.

I very much doubt a team would do it, but I think it's definitely possible to essentially give the Saints no choice whether they keep him or not.

A team would be stupid to give them 2 1st rounders for graham

No, make it happen. Tell Graham "let's twist your old teams nuts and the league while we're at it for allowing you to get low-balled. Make him an offer and tell the league we'll relinquish our 1st round pick in 2014 and the other in 2016. Get more lawyers involved along with the expected grievance and make the league and Saints look stupid.

Clearing Up Jimmy Graham Franchise Tag Myths - Canal Street Chronicles

"They do not need to both be first round picks in this years NFL Draft. I would assume it would be one in 2014 and one in 2015, though the CBA doesn't seem to specify."

Tell Graham, let's see how you're soon-to-be ex-employer likes being exploited by a loophole. Right back atcha!

If we could line up a trade for a high to mid 2nd for Mallet in this weak QB draft class, that would offset #29. Now that would be a classic thumb your nose at the powers that be Belichick move, and we add an awesome talent.

If you don't think this guy is worth 10-11 mil a year, I respectfully disagree. He's 27. I love the "I could see the 'Hawks doing that" people. Why NOT NE. I'll take Morts speculation over anyone on this board any day, and twice on Sunday.

Ok, we disagree to a large extent. Graham doesn't even play 80% of the snaps and comes out of running plays. Add to the fact that he's soft in man coverage, he may be the most overrated player in the NFL next to Clay Matthews.

NO WAY - where do the people that start these threads think we are going to get the money from? These guys are already pretty rich, but unless they will play for $1, signings like this aren't happening.

Ok, we disagree to a large extent. Graham doesn't even play 80% of the snaps and comes out of running plays. Add to the fact that he's soft in man coverage, he may be the most overrated player in the NFL next to Clay Matthews.

He's rated as the best tight end who is stayed healthy over the last two years and is an elite offensive weapon, that sounds rightfully rated to me.

He's rated as the best tight end who is stayed healthy over the last two years and is an elite offensive weapon, that sounds rightfully rated to me.

He has a QB who's thrown for 5,000 yards the last 3 years. It's no surprise he has great stats. He sucks at blocking and goes soft against good defenses.

I'd rather Jordan Cameron, Vernon Davis, and probably Julius Thomas over Jimmy Graham. Most would disagree with my opinion, but I feel fantasy football has distorted many people's views on Graham.

A team would be stupid to give them 2 1st rounders for graham

i agree a TE his size twice got shut down last year by a CB. if Sherman or Talib tried to cover Gronk one on one he would eat them alive

Miguel-Not every NFL rule is in the CBA. I can not find a link at this time so you will have to trust me on this. The rule covers 2014 and 2015. After the draft the rule will cover 2015 and 2016. Because it covers 2014 teams without a first round pick in 2014 like Indy can not sign Graham to an offer without first obtaining a first round pick that is better than their slotted position.

I retract my "trust Mort than anyone on this board" statement. I definitely trust you more than him (and Ian for that matter).:) While we're on it though, could a team (like Indy) potentially wait until after the draft to sign him to an offer if he does not sign the tag offer, thus making the above described scenario a possibility.

With the possibility of a legal battle over his designation it could potentially still be unresolved by the time the draft comes and goes. Even if it's not NE involved I'm just curious what another potential suitor may try.

Homeland Defense-Can't see the Saints letting him slip away. Similar to the way we say, "Get Brady weapons for a final run", I'm sure Brees wants Graham for a run.

Brady's wanted a lot of guys to stick around. It's a business, though.

Brady_to_Moss-A team would be stupid to give them 2 1st rounders for graham

Draft picks are a gamble. Percentages not withstanding, Rick Mirer and Troy Brown came out of the same draft. Remember offhand who was the #1 pick the year Brady got drafted? Bet you had to look it up.;)

patsinthesnow-Ok, we disagree to a large extent. Graham doesn't even play 80% of the snaps and comes out of running plays. Add to the fact that he's soft in man coverage, he may be the most overrated player in the NFL next to Clay Matthews.

I'll take Graham's 10 TD's a year over Matthews 10 sacks a year, and you just proved the point that he should have been tagged as a WR. There both apples to oranges comparisons anyway.

While we're on Matthews, why all the hate for a defensive guy who plays in the NFC North?

Bhelmut-NO WAY - where do the people that start these threads think we are going to get the money from? These guys are already pretty rich, but unless they will play for $1, signings like this aren't happening.

Every team pays there players under the salary cap rules. No team has circumvented the cap since the '90's. They get the money from TV deals, ticket prices, merchandise ect. 133 mil spread out evenly between 53 players is a 2.5 mil average. Guys get signed for a lot more than Graham will command.

Salva135-He's rated as the best tight end who is stayed healthy over the last two years and is an elite offensive weapon, that sounds rightfully rated to me.

That earns a like.

patsinthesnow-He has a QB who's thrown for 5,000 yards the last 3 years. It's no surprise he has great stats. He sucks at blocking and goes soft against good defenses.

I'd rather Jordan Cameron, Vernon Davis, and probably Julius Thomas over Jimmy Graham. Most would disagree with my opinion, but I feel fantasy football has distorted many people's views on Graham.

Valid points and I don't think those 3 are out of whack comparison's, accept there actual TE's. Apples to oranges, somewhat.

I know this does sound like fantasy football, but I can't help but think about the Hutchinson-Burleson Vikings-Seahawks cluster-f. I know it's not the same (apples to oranges on my part, somewhat), but there is some precedence.

patsfan-1982-i agree a TE his size twice got shut down last year by a CB. if Sherman or Talib tried to cover Gronk one on one he would eat them alive

Graham's only game without a catch was against us. He caught 3 and NO only TD against SEA. I'd much rather see us keep Talib over hypothetically getting Graham, but I think we all know he's gone. If we tagged him this thread would have died.

hell if draft picks are a gamble..lets give up the next 4 first rounders for him then...sign the beast!

hell if draft picks are a gamble..lets give up the next 4 first rounders for him then...sign the beast!

It's 2 late 1st rounders for a guy who's averaged 90-1169-13 against NFL defenses the last 3 years and is a 6-7 260# durable 27 yr old.

Maybe one of the 4 or 5 top TE prospects will turn out to be "that guy", but odds are against it. As pheenix11 aptly put it, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I think the team should look not necessarily for WR vs TE decision making but which pass catcher will make the deadliest redzone package. I believe the Patriots can go up and down the field between the 20's all day. I know they struggle in the redzone. A player like Graham with Gronk, Edelman, and Dobson pretty much guarantees a ridiculous redzone/touchdown percentage. That is what I am thinking if I am Belichick, "How can I put together the baddest red zone package in the league?" I think that questions directs the focus to different personnel than if the whole field over the whole game is looked at. I would go get him. Two late rounders is worth it. Brady would have two short to mid-game studs to close out his career.

Add Anquan Boldin for more red zone freakishness and I would be happy.

While we're on it though, could a team (like Indy) potentially wait until after the draft to sign him to an offer if he does not sign the tag offer, thus making the above described scenario a possibility.

Yes, a team could wait until after the draft to sign Graham to an offer. A team would have Graham for the 2014 season before giving their 2015 and 2016 1st round picks.

It's 2 late 1st rounders for a guy who's averaged 90-1169-13 against NFL defenses the last 3 years and is a 6-7 260# durable 27 yr old.

Maybe one of the 4 or 5 top TE prospects will turn out to be "that guy", but odds are against it. As pheenix11 aptly put it, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Yes, but there's obviously a reason why we don't see other NFL teams parting with 2 first round draft picks....ever.

It's beyond horrible business practice, especially with the recent change in the rookie wage scale. You don't build your team properly by not having a first round draft pick for the next 2 years.

On top of that, Belichick's first draft selections are excellent--so I'm not sure where the whole "odds" aspect came into play? We've built our team with superior talent in the first round on cheap rookie deals time and time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe