PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G trade speculation

Unless SF somehow lands Rodgers (which is pretty much impossible), I can't see them moving on from Jimmy. They have a solid roster and when healthy he takes them to the Super Bowl. Just because his contract is suddenly cut/tradable doesn't mean they should. They have already paid him a $28 million dollar bonus, he is under contract for two more years at a reasonable (for a starting QB) 24 million a year.

Supposedly tried to trade him to Indy. Indy passed..

Also supposedly are Targeting Stafford. They clearly are not all in on Jimmy G

Might have to be like that Brock Osweiler trade from a couple years ago, where Denver added a 2nd round pick in the trade just to get his contract off the books.
I don't see the Patriots picking up a $27 million cap charge for Garoppolo, even if accompanied with a draft pick. I don't see any team doing it given the glut of potential options on the market.

There is a lot of mutual respect between Belichick and John Lynch. I could see a scenario where Garoppolo is released with the understanding that he will return here. Then, at some point later in the offseason, there is a trade between NE and SF where Belichick throws the Niners an extra mid-round pick as a wink-nudge, deferred compensation.

Still, I am not convinced that Garoppolo at his price is greater value than Brisset.

I'd toss the 49ers a 6th round pick if Garoppolo takes a $16.9 million pay cut to end up at $10 million. Otherwise, I'd take my chances and wait for him to be cut.

There's some chatter among the less reliable and more speculative 49ers reporters that they're the favorite for Stafford. The Lions are going to want him off their cap immediately when free agency opens, which means the 49ers would have to get rid of Garoppolo immediately as well to have enough cap room for Stafford.
If you think he is the answer at QB you pay what it takes
Being cheap on the qb position is stupid and dangerous.

Jimmy G is going to be cut. No one is going to trade for his contract.

I'd trade for him IF I could get him to agree to a longer deal with more per-game bonuses instead of simply salary. The Jimmy G of 2019 was worth his money. but that's the only year. Let him prove it by staying on the field.

SF lets me talk to him, we come to an agreement, and I'd throw them a healthy pick - third rounder, maybe.

As a starter...

86 minutes
5 games
3 games
16 games
6 games

If SF does trade Jimmy G to NE, Bill should request that SF include their Jimmy G repair supplies

View attachment 30010

View attachment 30009
I would love it if we got him on the cheap. ONLY if they pair him with a high upside back up. Jimmy will hold down the fort, be a great mentor, and his injury history will give the young back up all the experience he needs without all the pressure.

Would we rather have Jimmy G for a fourth or Deshaun Watson for multiple firsts?
Or mariota for free

Its awkward when 43 year old Brady is more durable than Jimmy.

As a starter...

86 minutes
5 games
3 games
16 games
6 games

If SF does trade Jimmy G to NE, Bill should request that SF include their Jimmy G repair supplies

View attachment 30010

View attachment 30009
Its worse than that.

Jimmy has been in SF since 2014. Excluding the 2014 trade season, he has only made it through 1 season beginning to end. Only 16.66% of his years in SF have been on his 2 feet. When BB made him the starter during the Brady suspension, he was injured there too.

• Agree
Reactions: SNL
Its awkward when 43 year old Brady is more durable than Jimmy.
I am not sure that it is durability as much as it is intelligence /awareness so that you MUST avoid the big hit that will inevitably come to any QB who desperately tries to make a play all of the time.

The CV joint injury: He didn't protect himself.
The ACL tear: He acted like he was Earl Campbell, trying to bowl people over for an extra yard near the sidelines.
I forget what was his third injury.

He seems to have some distinct plusses: super-quick release, quick decision maker, decent accuracy, poise in the pocket, not a statue, no gun but can make all of the throws you need.

Like too many QBs, though, he needs to be reminded to take what's there and then live for making something on the next play or next drive.

If the price is low, I'd love a JG return along with a heavy investment in other areas of need, both in free agency and the draft. Watson would be better, but the cost would also be huge.

Its worse than that.

Jimmy has been in SF since 2014. Excluding the 2014 trade season, he has only made it through 1 season beginning to end. Only 16.66% of his years in SF have been on his 2 feet. When BB made him the starter during the Brady suspension, he was injured there too.

Wasn't he traded in 2017? 2016 is when he started for the Patriots during brady's suspension

Its worse than that.

Put the wrong date down there. He was traded in 2017. So 1 of 4 not 1 of 6, still not very good, but 25%

Put the wrong date down there. He was traded in 2017. So 1 of 4 not 1 of 6, still not very good, but 25%
It's definitely a concern. Question is can Patriots coach him to be more cautious? Or is it like Gronkowski where it's a flip of the coin whether he can stay healthy

Would we rather have Jimmy G for a fourth or Deshaun Watson for multiple firsts?
Or mariota for free
I'd give 2 Firsts plus for Watson (depending on what the PLUS was).

Then a fourth for Jimmy ONLY if we can rework his contract to protect massive $$$ loss.

I like(d) Mariotta. not sure what happened to him, but I think Jimmy G fits the system better. Watson is in a whole different category - talent-wise, he's in rarified air.

I know this is all hypothetical, but do we even know whether Jimmy G would want to come back to NE?

I know this is all hypothetical, but do we even know whether Jimmy G would want to come back to NE?

Supposedly bill texts him after every game. Guy was gushing about new england and bill to the media before our game this season.

Jimmy G is going to be cut. No one is going to trade for his contract.

I agree. Why not just wait for SF to find their QB and then Jimmy basically becomes available ??

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back