PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G reportedly gets his deal:

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn’t have to That long. Could’ve traded him during last offseason before the draft.

I don't blame the team for waiting to see how a 40 year-old QB looked before jettisoning his able backup. THere is no real precedent for what Brady is doing.

that is an interesting take... Would I trade (or not get a one or even two ones), to keep a "GOAT-like franchise QB" ( MASSIVE "IF").. out of my division and/or conference. If he is great enough it would be worth taking less to get him far away. Even smart..
People don’t consider this enough, and simply take it at face value.

Not to be pedantic, but...he has EXACTLY seven starts of real NFL experience.

Yes, my bad. I got games and starts mixed up. :)

Max:

Jimmy will go off a cliff and be a bum who lives under a bridge in short order

This. In a couple of years this will be considered a bargin.
And we get TB12 for two years for about what SF is paying JG for one, our bargain is happening right now.

They had an estimated $113 million in cap room before this, so still probably close to $100 million left if the first year cap hit is low like it usually is in these big contracts.
Niners should front load the contract now while they have all this space

Sorry, but NO ONE is worth that $$$. Nuts. Having said that...yeah we got screwed on the compensation...especially since it is t even a top 2nd. 2nd and 3rd would have been fair.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone explain why these contracts for elite quarterbacks keep going up? It's not as if there's another league that would pay more; the NFL is the only game in town for these athletes' skillset, so it's not as if there's outside competition for their services.

So 27 mil for each win this year. With no idea how he will perform for an entire season, or if he can even last an entire season. YIKES, whats Cousins worth then?

The "highest paid player in the NFL" approach seems to always end somewhere between disappointing to disaster.
It is kind of funny. Although, it is so true. We not only have the GOAT, but a QB that takes a "big" discount. If Roger takes a huge increase, he will never have a dynasty and may never see another SuperBowl. It will be interesting to watch the 49er's roster.

They didn’t have to That long. Could’ve traded him during last offseason before the draft.

THINK before you post.
OF COURSE BB knew that:
1. He had to trade JG
2. His leverage would NEVER be greater to reap the max in return than the 2017 offseason leading up to the draft.
Do you really think BB didn't know this?
A lot of us expected that trade to happen.
But BB also knew TB was 40. He didn't know how well the goat would hold up this year. He also knew that in the event TB was seriously hurt, Pats could still win a SB with JG.
So he had a choice to make. He decided to sacrifice a slightly higher draft pick for a SB insurance policy.
I'd say that was the right choice.
Insurance is one of those things that's better to have and not need it,than to need it and not have it.

Happy for Jimmy .

Imo , he's going to be a good NFL QB , but I don't think he's $27.5M good.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone explain why these contracts for elite quarterbacks keep going up? It's not as if there's another league that would pay more; the NFL is the only game in town for these athletes' skillset, so it's not as if there's outside competition for their services.

You dont win without a good qb and there are fewer good qbs than number of teams in the league

who cares? He plays for San Francisco.:rolleyes:

Niners should front load the contract now while they have all this space

They did. He’s getting 90 over the first 3 years of the deal

You dont win without a good qb and there are fewer good qbs than number of teams in the league

I can see how the quarterback would always be the highest paid, but I mean, why does the ceiling of what "highest" is keep rising, in a insular league that can cap the maximum it'll pay for services, particularly when that league has no competitors. In other words, why wouldn't the league decree the highest salary per year allowable for any of its franchises is $8 million per position. It's not as if the players would have any choice but to accept it, as there is no alternative market for their skills outside the NFL.

How the hell do you pay anyone else???
What's up with these dummies?

Ok : QB= Check
Everyone else, Uh we broke.

When will they learn.

It can work, just not a lasting formula. IMO

Groom your sons to become an NFL QB... And rob these idiots

5 years 137 million

And we only got a 2nd. ************
...And???
You mean we gave him to someone, who gambled their whole Org , on an unproven QB?
Let's see how this pans out before we crown him the next TB.

It's not like we haven't seen this before.

...And???
You mean we gave him to someone, who gambled their whole Org , on an unproven QB?
Let's see how this pans out before we crown him the next TB.

It's not like we haven't seen this before.

He won't be the next tom brady. c'mon it's going to be a LONG time before we ever see somebody like Tom. However I've seen enough of Jimmy to know he's going to be a damn good qb in the NFL, the type of guy you pass the torch to like Montana to Young, Favre to Rodgers. It just wasn't meant to be for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back