PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JG trade story: Patriots tried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy could be a really good franchise QB, and he might still only be 50% of what Brady was.

I'm sorry but you don't get rid of a guy who has been in 11 AFCCG's out of 16 (really 15 when you count the 08 injury) seasons. Who never had a losing season. Who has more Super Bowls than any QB ever. 2 years of that is greater potential than 15 years of Jimmy. I'm sorry.

That's just silly. We have no idea what JG could become. he could be a JAG or the next GOAT. Even if you could guarantee me the next three SuperBowls I would still rather have a top 5 QB for ten year who keeps us in the mix. I am in no hurry to become the Dolphins again.

Belichick might not care too much about those 10-15 years though. Let's say Brady goes for 2-3 more. How much longer does Belichick stay after that? Certainly not another 12. So the opportunity cost of keeping Brady is a lot less for him personally.

Bill cares about his legacy. And he cares about this team's long term future. I don't see him selfishly screwing the Pats for the short term.

I respect Garoppolo for this. I would have lost all respect for him if he volunteered to hold a clipboard for another couple of years. Good for him for believing in his abilities.

Nobody knows how good JG is going to be or how long he is going to play. He had a very good game and a half. That's it. We don't know how he would be in a playoff game. We don't know how he would be in a SB down 14 points with 10 minutes left in the game. We only know how good he would be in the first game of a season.

Yes BB had a choice and he made it and it was Brady.

I hope JG has a HOF career but I would have hated it if they had cut Brady's historic career short especially when he is still playing like Brady.

That's why I am fine with this. I trust Bill's judgement. He saw the guy everyday in practice. He is qualified to make that decision. We aren't. I honestly think if he thought JG was top five QB material he would of dumped Brady and kept JG. We will never know for certain though. The only thing I have an issue with is the timing. He is basically gambling a legit shot at a title this year for a second round pick. The odds that Brady's replacement is an above average are slim. Look around the league. look how long teams go between competent QBs. Hopefully Brady can play until he's 50.

Belichick might not care too much about those 10-15 years though. Let's say Brady goes for 2-3 more. How much longer does Belichick stay after that? Certainly not another 12. So the opportunity cost of keeping Brady is a lot less for him personally.

I seem to recall a quote or secondhand repeat that BB didn't want to coach at 70 or 70s or something to that effect. BB is 66. The math suggests his biological NFL clock is quickly winding down. Him and Brady may not be too far away from each other while riding off into the sunset.

But BB is well known to be a Football-phile. Maybe he stays on in the FO? Or maybe a sports TV gig (hard to see that but who knows). Of course maybe it's take it easy time for BB while he writes a book (suggested titles: We're On To The Book, It Is What It Is, We Scored More Points Thats Why We Won).

He had waited long enough. Players inferior to him and younger than him were getting their shot - even Brissett. No problem with him wanting to play.

This, at the end of the day it’s a business and he deserves to start somewhere, also he will finally get paid this offseason. I do not blame JG at all, if anything I will be rooting for him to have a successful NFL career, he has been studying behind the best the last 3 and half season.

I think he finally got tired when Jacoby was traded to Indy and become a starter right away so he thought he shouldn’t be sitting anymore and I’m sure many teams would love to have him, there are many teams in the NFL that JG could be a starter for and SF was the best destination for him because under Kyle Shanahan he would have the best chance to succeed, behind josh mcdaniels I see Kyle Shanahan being a close 2nd for OC. Unfortunately SF will need two big drafts in the next two seasons to get JG the team he needs.

Even if SF season is pretty much done he will get the chance to start and test the new offense out.

Right now the NFC West is one tough division with the Seahawks and the Rams playing well because they have pretty good QBs, the Cardinals unfortunately don’t otherwise they might have been a powerhouse.

That's just silly. We have no idea what JG could become. he could be a JAG or the next GOAT. Even if you could guarantee me the next three SuperBowls I would still rather have a top 5 QB for ten year who keeps us in the mix. I am in no hurry to become the Dolphins again.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Do you pay attention to anything you write, beyond looking at its trolling value?

What a ridiculous thing to say. Do you pay attention to anything you write, beyond looking at its trolling value?
I don't think he understands that the most a team has won in 51 years is 6 and it took them from 1975-2009 to do it. So basically you are saying you would rather have a top 5 QB (which statistically at best gets you 1 or 0 Super Bowls) over winning half the record and more than double our current count is.

If you told me Brady wins one more next year then retires, I take that hoping on Jimmy.

But for posterity sake let's say Jimmy becomes top 5. Only 3 QB's have more than 3 Super Bowls. Tom Brady 5, Joe Montana 4, Terry Bradshaw 4. Then Aikman has 3 and Eli 2, Ben 2, Peyton 2, Plunkett 2, Starr 2, Griese 2, Staubach 2, Elway 2.

So you wouldn't take an automatic 3 Super Bowls when only 3 guys in the history of the league have ever outproduced that number? That's crazy. Hell you tell me Brady only gets you one more and retires next year, I still take that gaurantee over hoping Jimmy becomes one of the 12 QB's in history that maybe wins multiple Super Bowls.

San Diego's had Brees and Rivers, and was "in the mix" from 2004-2014. You'd have to be a fool to want that over 3 straight Super Bowls.

Right, Albert Breer the fraud. Didn't read.

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

Tom Brady's been a starting QB for 15 seasons (2001-2016, with 2008 having been missed due to injury), and been to 7 Super Bowls. That means that, if the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl this season, Brady would have been to the SB for 1/2 of his career (8 seasons out of 16).

Tom Brady's been a starting QB for 15 seasons (2001-2016, with 2008 having been missed due to injury), and been to 11 AFC Championship games. That means that, if he gets to the AFCCG this season, he will have been to the AFCCG for 3/4 of his career (12 seasons out of 16).

Tom Brady's been a starting QB for 15 seasons (2001-2016, with 2008 having been missed due to injury), and been to the playoffs 14 times, with the one year the team missed being a year where they lost on a tiebreaker.

But why would you want to add another 3 SBs to that, when you can have 10 years of "in the mix", right?

Anyone who thought Garoppolo was going to take a reasonable deal to sit yet another year were really delusional. All during the off-season, I heard people say that if the Pats gave him ok starter money, he would stay and sit another year because the situation is so good. It never made any sense. Any QB worth their salt wants to play. I think Garoppolo would have welcomed a trade to the Browns this offseason rather than sitting another year or two.

I don’t excuse Belichick from that delusional way of thinking. If the rumors are true, the Pats could have had the 13th pick in the draft and more for Garoppolo and now settled for the 34th or 35th. Brissett has shown in Indy that he would be a more than serviceable back up to Brady. Belichick really misjudged Jimmy’s desire to play and how far away from retiring Brady is.

Jimmy G. has been holding the clipboard in his fourth year, and only has started 2 games for the Patriots, thrown 94 passes in that time .. no NFL player hedges their bets on another player getting injured... this is good move for Jimmy G, Patriots and both teams..

The only way you don't trade Jimmy is if we start to see a noticable decline in Tom's play.

Ain't seeing it....

I really thought it was Brady who was going to get shipped to the Niners for a 2nd this offseason. I guess even Belichick has his limits, and there is such a thing as an untouchable player.

In hindsight, I wonder if all the rumors about Cleveland offering #12 were just speculative, and a high 2nd is the best we were going to get.

Best of luck to Jimmy G.

But they aren't equal. Yes, Brady is much better than JG is and probably ever will be. But JG will play for another 10-15 years. Brady almost certainly has less than 5 years. It's not a black and white choice.

I missed the change in rules whereby you can sign a player for 10-15 years.

Probably should have kept Brissett if this was the plan. He’d have been a cheap backup for next two and a half seasons.

Dorsett is more valuable to this team than Brissett (2017 and 2018).

Pick 32-35 is more valuable than 6 months of JAG.

I prefer Hoyer as a backup to both Brissett and JAG. My hope is that Hoyer is signed before our next practice through at least 2018, preferably though 2020.

If Brady told the Patrtiots he's planning to play another 3 years, then there was no way Jimmy was staying past this year, so it makes sense to trade him.

Too bad we couldn't get some sort of conditional first out of SF -- if SF does not re-sign him, we get a 3rd, if they do we get a 1st.

At the end of the day, it's bad timing - Jimmy's shot at starting is long overdue.
Brady (lucky for us) is still healthy and wanting to play.

Hopefully we do get 3 more elite years out of Brady and there's no freak injury that leaves us without Brady and without our intended backup plan.

The only weird part in all this is, if Hoyer is our new backup, why wasn't he just part of the trade? By cutting him, Hoyer gets a chance to shop around, and then we are really f'cked if somone offers him decent money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back