PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets just traded for #3 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
"To make a very long story short they're incredibly high on all of the top 4 with Rosen and Darnold at the very top, Mayfield and Allen just below, in that order. However, Baker Mayfield is about to make our top 2 (Rosen, Darnold) a top 3 if he does well in the private meeting/workout we set up with him. He was incredibly impressive when we met with him for over 4 hours at the Senior Bowl, and even more so at the Combine. Football IQ is off the charts. Allen isn't dumb by any means. In fact, I heard he tested better than expected on the white board. However, he's just a little behind the other 3 in that regard. Obviously, where he makes up for this is his measurables and his arm that no one else comes close to."

But as that was happening, a feisty young defense sparked a three-game winning streak early in the year, and quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates gained credibility in the building. Instead of landing at the top of the draft the Jets wound up with the sixth pick, Bates got promoted, and an ideal quarterback for his offense, Cousins, was out there to be signed. So what had been Plan A became Plan B.
In other words, the Jete can't even manage to lose when they set their minds to it. One more loss would have put them in the Colts position without trading THREE SECOND ROUNDERS!
Additionally, my understanding is that the team is comfortable with the top four quarterbacks in this year’s class—Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen. And with the Bills, Cardinals and Broncos looking at the idea of moving up, being aggressive became vital.
So now both Breer and Lombardi are supporting the idea that the Jete were okay with any of the top three QBs (in fact top 4 QBs) after doing a huge amount of scouting all of them.

Keep in mind Lombardi's son works for the NYJ....

Aside from the price the Jete paid being way too steep, you don't trade down from No. 6 to No. 3 banking on getting one of two top targeted choices. Pretty much after that, it's a tossup and not worth it. It's hard to justify giving away THREE second-round picks in this situation no matter how you slice it.

Not if your getting a franchise changing player, which clearly they are striving for

I do think that the jets want Mayfield. I also believe that they had exactly ZERO reason to trade up to get him.

"To make a very long story short they're incredibly high on all of the top 4 with Rosen and Darnold at the very top, Mayfield and Allen just below, in that order. However, Baker Mayfield is about to make our top 2 (Rosen, Darnold) a top 3 if he does well in the private meeting/workout we set up with him. He was incredibly impressive when we met with him for over 4 hours at the Senior Bowl, and even more so at the Combine. Football IQ is off the charts. Allen isn't dumb by any means. In fact, I heard he tested better than expected on the white board. However, he's just a little behind the other 3 in that regard. Obviously, where he makes up for this is his measurables and his arm that no one else comes close to."

I do think that the jets want Mayfield. I also believe that they had exactly ZERO reason to trade up to get him.

Cleveland, Giants, Denver, Buffalo, Arizona. All teams either ahead of us (at 6), or that may have tried to jump ahead of us.

Figuring the Jets stayed at 6, I was figuring we'd grab the 4th QB at best. And was beginning to worry we'd be left with Chubb.

????

QB needy teams who were either already ahead of the Jets or had the picks to get ahead of the Jets:

Browns
Giants
Broncos
Bills

Projected top 4 QBs:

Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Mayfield

A caveat here, Deus: somehow the post I was addressing appeared on my screen as posted by JetFan79 (hence, the reference to "spin"). I was responding in the context that he has stated numerous times he would be happy with any of the top six rookie QBs being chosen at No. 6. Aside from that, I do believe with so many other needs the Jete have it was too high a price for moving up three slots gambling on one of their two top prospects being available. If it ends up being their third-rated QB, will the sacrifice have been worthwhile? Chances of "missing" on their third guy are exponentially greater, in which case they might've been better served staying put at No. 6. It's a big gamble as you rightfully point out.

No worries, and thanks for the clarification.

I deleted my post, which seemed like the way to go after this follow up of yours.

OK, let me be clearer. I think that the jets want Mayfield and that he won't be a top pick unless the jets draft him. Also, I don't think that Denver is drafting a QB.

So, yes, zero was an exaggeration.

????

QB needy teams who were either already ahead of the Jets or had the picks to get ahead of the Jets:

Browns
Giants
Broncos
Bills

Projected top 4 QBs:

Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Mayfield

As the Jets said, they had a plan A, B, and C on QBs. Kirk Cousins was A. This was B. Jets now own the third-overall pick and a chance to land one of the top-rated QBs.

I wonder what plan C was

Cleveland, Giants, Denver, Buffalo, Arizona. All teams either ahead of us (at 6), or that may have tried to jump ahead of us. Figuring the Jets stayed at 6, I was figuring we'd grab the 4th QB at best. And was beginning to worry we'd be left with Chubb.
Once on the clock, do you think they'll submit their selection in time?

Once on the clock, do you think they'll submit their selection in time?

Not only that, but I think Jet fans will actually cheer the pick.

Cleveland, Giants, Denver, Buffalo, Arizona. All teams either ahead of us (at 6), or that may have tried to jump ahead of us.

Figuring the Jets stayed at 6, I was figuring we'd grab the 4th QB at best. And was beginning to worry we'd be left with Chubb.
Yet the piece you quoted says it's a "do or die" move pushed by the owner:
If they get the right quarterback, there’s a good chance they’ll be in East Rutherford for a long time. If they get the wrong one, it’s likely both guys will be fired. Here’s what’s clear: This offseason was always going to be about finding the quarterback for the Jets. Period.

With that backdrop, the team’s brass was taking no chances. Plan A, back in May and June, was to be in position to pluck from a ballyhooed group of college quarterbacks, and owner Woody Johnson made it clear, before leaving for his ambassadorship in the summer, that he was all-in on the idea.
Ref: Jets Trade Up to #3: It’s Been the Plan for Months

We got two jamokes afraid of losing their job doing what 'silver spoon' Woody wants, after years of over-drafting defense. Whomever they get is going to be roadkill.

Not only that, but I think Jet fans will actually cheer the pick.

They will cheer any of the 4 QBs. Then, they will spend the offseason claiming they've finally found the QB to take down the Patriots. Then, time will begin to tell the tale.

Yet the piece you quoted says it's a "do or die" move pushed by the owner:

Ref: Jets Trade Up to #3: It’s Been the Plan for Months

We got two jamokes afraid of losing their job doing what 'silver spoon' Woody wants, after years of over-drafting defense. Whomever they get is going to be roadkill.

Whomever they get will be in a decent spot. If they're not ready, McCown or Bridewater can play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back