PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets just traded for #3 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, I see the exact opposite. If Luck was coming back strong, they'd go for one impact player this year instead of two less-certain players this year and one more next year. Trading down to me suggests they feel they have time to develop players. I'd say the Dolts are going to have another year of tanking in front of them, because they just have seen how tanking pays off big time!

Ref: Colts-Jets trade proves the value of tanking

Interesting take. The way I see it is that Allen, Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold are going in the top 5. That means the colts get 1 of the 2 best non-QB players of the draft like Chubb or Barkley. Either they feel comfortable with Luck or they don't think that any of the QBs are that good. I've seen tape on all of them, and while I'm no expert, they don't look that great.

They can still take a QB at 4 but maybe not the one they wanted now.

I'm with the analysts. The Browns should draft their best bet for a QB and trade down from the 4th pick. Someone will pay a bundle to move to 4 for Barkley, a QB or Chubb.

Wow, that's quite a haul that the Jets gave up. They must love one of the QB prospects.

I wonder if the primary motivation for the Jets was that they were worried the Broncos wanted their guy and had to get in front of them, or if they're trying to protect themselves from someone else trading up to 3 or 4 and taking the guy they wanted.

I'm with the analysts. The Browns should draft their best bet for a QB and trade down from the 4th pick. Someone will pay a bundle to move to 4 for Barkley, a QB or Chubb.

Yeah, if the Browns think they've identified a franchise QB in this draft they'd be foolish not to take him at 1, then they can do pretty much whatever they want at 4--there's a good chance they'd have their pick of non-QBs there anyway--and trade down for a hefty price to whoever's in love with a QB available at 4.

The Giants should definitely take advantage of this situation by trying the troll the Jets into expending more resources to get their QB. Give John Elway a ride on the Mara private yacht. Set up Josh Rosen on a blind date with Kate Mara. Maybe you can extract a Trubisky like haul, or force the Jets to try to trade to #1.
the giants should definitely leak that they are strongly considering one of the QB's that the jets want or that they are willing to trade with someone who might take the jets choice. It seems like this is an easy 4th for the Giants, presuming that their QB is chosen by the Browns.

Who scores the highest in off-season moves, and will, when it's all over, score the highest. Without a flicker of a doubt, without any real competition, it's the Indianapolis Colts. No team will match them.

I like the position of the Browns and the Giants.

I like what Indy did. They have a long road back to competing for the division. They need players.

As for the Jets, this is just the Sanchez situation all over again.

The jets had the possibility of getting lots of help with the picks that they gave up, including a
really top player at #6, perhaps even their chosen quarterback.

I can’t say the jets got fleeced when philly traded the world for Carson wentz. Worked out pretty good I’d say.

If the jets come out of this with a good quarterback, they didn’t get fleeced.
Chances are good the QB they're drafting at No. 3 still would've been available at No. 6. OR, another one of the top six ultimately proving as good or better. The move was moronic, especially for a team whose roster is begging for an injection of young talent.

They could have sat at 6 and probably gotten the same guy. If it doesn’t matter which one of 3 you get why not which one of 4?
They tanked a season for a qb, and then just traded a bunch of picks to get 3rd choice.
To just plainly think that the 3rd guy is just as good as the 2 that other teams have clearly viewed as better, is nuts, but it fits the jets.

I mean you think mccagnan is a good gm, so we need to just agree to disagree and move on.

Probably not to the bolded portion. At 6, they had a QB-needy Denver in front of them at 5 and teams at 3 and 4 that were prime candidates to trade down, giving every other team an easy opportunity to cut in and take whichever QB the Jets want.

It's definitely a huge gamble, and I doubt it will pay off in the long run, but they clearly disagreed with your belief that their guy at 3 would be available at 6, and there's good reason to agree with them.

As for the fact that their guy is like some other teams' third choice, at a certain point you just have to have faith in your scouting department. Last year Trubisky and Mahomes went ahead of Watson. In 2014, Bortles Manziel and Bridgewater all went ahead of Garoppolo and Carr. In 2012 RG3, Tannehill, Weeden and Osweiler went ahead of Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins. This is all just a long way of saying that who cares if other teams value the QBs differently? Teams get this stuff wrong every year: as long as they aren't a threat to take the guy you want, then you let them put faith in their scouts and you put faith in yours and you hope your guys are right.

Chances are good the QB they're drafting at No. 3 still would've been available at No. 6. OR, another one of the top six ultimately proving as good or better. The move was moronic, especially for a team whose roster is begging for an injection of young talent.

Doubtful. If they have Rosen/Darnold/Allen in mind it’s almost a guarantee they Browns, Giants and Broncos take them. It’s also very likely the Bills were going to offer the Browns a haul to move from 12 to 4 to get a QB.

I was thinking that too about the Browns, but if they have these 3 QB's ranked close to each other then they may feel it's worth it to take the best player Barkley at 1, and settle for the last of the 3 QB's at 4. They had to be expecting Indy to part with that #3 pick anyway, I doubt this is catching them by surprise.

The Giants are the only possible last moving piece in the top 4 now. If they feel Eli has another 4 years in him, this trade proves how much they can get for that #2 pick and they could bite.

I don't think the giants expect to be in this position again anytime soon. If they think that they have a chance for their franchise QB, then they'll pull the trigger. IMHO, the only team that they might trade with is the jets, in order to "steal" a pick from them.

I don't think the giants expect to be in this position again anytime soon. If they think that they have a chance for their franchise QB, then they'll pull the trigger. IMHO, the only team that they might trade with is the jets, in order to "steal" a pick from them.

I wouldn't mind that. Especially if they really want Rosen.

Interesting take. The way I see it is that Allen, Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold are going in the top 5. That means the colts get 1 of the 2 best non-QB players of the draft like Chubb or Barkley. Either they feel comfortable with Luck or they don't think that any of the QBs are that good. I've seen tape on all of them, and while I'm no expert, they don't look that great.

Yeah, that's how I see it too. Assuming the Colts aren't taking a QB--which seems like a safe assumption--trading down for 3 to 6 doesn't really carry much of a cost. They already know that 1, 2 and 3 are presumably going QB, so they went from having the first pick of non-QBs to either the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how Denver feels about the remaining QBs at 5. The deal they gave Keenum suggests that they intend to use him as a bridge to a longer term solution, so if they like any of the QBs left at their spot they'll probably take him, and if they do the Colts now have the second non-QB in the draft. If they're confident the Browns won't take their guy at 4, or if they value a couple guys more or less equally, then they basically just picked up some free second round picks.

c'mon...we all know how this movie ends...

more lonely walks down by the pond deep in contemplation...the Gholston Protocol

I'm with aj; I don't think that Denver is going to draft a QB high in the draft. Elway thinks he has his franchise quarterback, although he might take a flyer later in the draft.

Probably not to the bolded portion. At 6, they had a QB-needy Denver in front of them at 5 and teams at 3 and 4 that were prime candidates to trade down, giving every other team an easy opportunity to cut in and take whichever QB the Jets want.

It's definitely a huge gamble, and I doubt it will pay off in the long run, but they clearly disagreed with your belief that their guy at 3 would be available at 6, and there's good reason to agree with them.

As for the fact that their guy is like some other teams' third choice, at a certain point you just have to have faith in your scouting department. Last year Trubisky and Mahomes went ahead of Watson. In 2014, Bortles Manziel and Bridgewater all went ahead of Garoppolo and Carr. In 2012 RG3, Tannehill, Weeden and Osweiler went ahead of Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins. This is all just a long way of saying that who cares if other teams value the QBs differently? Teams get this stuff wrong every year: as long as they aren't a threat to take the guy you want, then you let them put faith in their scouts and you put faith in yours and you hope your guys are right.

Wow; with this trade Cleveland may get their choice of QB plus Barklay at 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back