PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets just traded for #3 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buffalo?

They're in division and need a QB and have 2 first rounders for a start.
Sure but if they were willing to offer 2 1s and were all in on any of the top 3 QBs they would have made this trade.

None of us know what other teams would have done before or after the trade.
IMHO, CLE(#1), NYG(#2) are both taking QBs.
Both don't project to be at the top of the draft in the near future.
Both don't have long term answers at QB.
You can make a decent case neither will draft QB, but I think both will.
CLE (#4) will either trade down or draft non-QB.
DEN (#5) also was likely to go QB since Keenum is not a long term answer.
So NYJ had to move up to get 3rd best QB rather than 4th.
They also get a shot at better if either CLE(#1) or NYG(#2) goes non-QB.
I don’t thunk denver is going qb.

A lot of teams did not want a lot of different players in the past. I think that argument is poor
Wait. It’s a poor argument that being 3rd choice gets you the 3rd best prospect?
We should agree to disagree because you have moved so far away from reality to slim possibility that I’m going to go buy a powerball ticket :)
Given the way this will shake out we will never really know these answers.

What would lead you to believe he is competent? Everything he has done tells me he is clueless.

So now you like the trade because the guy wouldn’t make it unless it was smart?

The hit rate for top 5 QBs is not great. Actively choosing to not evaluate the 3 against each other and just take the one the other 2 teams don’t want us not sound thinking.
It’s like the browns passing on a QBs at 1 and letting the giants and jets make the decision and taking the leftover at 4. Smart leadership doesn’t do that.

I think it was a move the jets had to make to get a quarterback THEY want. What anyone else thinks does not matter

Wait. It’s a poor argument that being 3rd choice gets you the 3rd best prospect?
We should agree to disagree because you have moved so far away from reality to slim possibility that I’m going to go buy a powerball ticket :)
Given the way this will shake out we will never really know these answers.

Yeah its incredibly poor considering every team has them ranked differently

Edit: and even if you wanted to go by media rankings. Saquon Barkley is pretty much ranked the number 1 prospect every where, and he might not go number 1. I really do not understand how you could believe that statement you made.

I think it was a move the jets had to make to get a quarterback THEY want. What anyone else thinks does not matter
And I think it was desperation and a dumb move.
Not sure how you call a move good by saying what anyone else thinks does not matter. That would mean every decision ever made was a good one.

Then you make the deal conditionally on draft day. If your guy is there they get the haul. No one else was going to give them that much.

Yeah its incredibly poor considering every team has them ranked differently

Edit: and even if you wanted to go by media rankings. Saquon Barkley is pretty much ranked the number 1 prospect every where, and he might not go number 1. I really do not understand how you could believe that statement you made.
Who says they gave them ranked differently?
There are 3 QBs available.
The jets have traded a lot of resources to get what is left after 2 other teams take the QBs they want.

Who does anything based upon what the media thinks?
You are just reaching to try to make an argument.

And I think it was desperation and a dumb move.
Not sure how you call a move good by saying what anyone else thinks does not matter. That would mean every decision ever made was a good one.

And you may end up being right. I think its a good move regardless because the Jets have to make sure they get a quarterback they like. If he sucks then they set their team back. Its a gamble

Its easy to sit there after the fact if hes good/sucks and say the the trade was good/bad.

Im looking at it as an opportunity. If they see franchise changing player(s), they need to get that player

Who says they gave them ranked differently?
There are 3 QBs available.
The jets have traded a lot of resources to get what is left after 2 other teams take the QBs they want.

Who does anything based upon what the media thinks?
You are just reaching to try to make an argument.

Every team has there own evaluations on players. Each team has different evaluations and rankings. Why are you denying a simple fact.

I don’t thunk denver is going qb.
Yes, we know that, but apparently NYJ was concerned enough that DEN would go QB to give up three 2nd rounders to get past them.

Guess we need the infamous 'draft calculator':
- BUF had first-rounders (No. 12 and No. 22), a pair of second-round selections (No. 53 and No. 56) and two thirds (No. 65 and No. 96) this year.
- Jete gave up 6th (1st), 37th and,49th (2nd) and a 2019 second-round pick.

Meanwhile, yesterday BUF ( Bills GM Beane: No guarantee we move up in draft ) said:
"There are some players that are going to be at 12 -- whether it's quarterback or another position -- that I know would not have fallen to 21," Beane said. "I'm excited about that. There are some guys that we were talking about right before we went to the combine with our scouts, and I'm like, 'We're wasting our time with this guy. He ain't falling to 21. This guy is a top-10, 12 -- he ain't getting past 15.' "We're in the range for those guys [now]. And that's not necessarily quarterback."
Maybe they knew yesterday what IND was asking for and that they weren't going to match.

And you may end up being right. I think its a good move regardless because the Jets have to make sure they get a quarterback they like. If he sucks then they set their team back. Its a gamble

Its easy to sit there after the fact if hes good/sucks and say the the trade was good/bad.

Im looking at it as an opportunity. If they see franchise changing player(s), they need to get that player
They could have sat at 6 and probably gotten the same guy. If it doesn’t matter which one of 3 you get why not which one of 4?
They tanked a season for a qb, and then just traded a bunch of picks to get 3rd choice.
To just plainly think that the 3rd guy is just as good as the 2 that other teams have clearly viewed as better, is nuts, but it fits the jets.

I mean you think mccagnan is a good gm, so we need to just agree to disagree and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we know that, but apparently NYJ was concerned enough that DEN would go QB to give up three 2nd rounders to get past them.
I’m just not capable of backing into that it must be smart because the Jete chose to do it.
The fact that they traded up when they may have had their guy available anyway isn’t dismissed by arguing they traded up so he wouldn’t have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe