PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets expected to pursue Henry [Misleading - source does not say this]

He probably has his one way ticket back to LA booked
We should follow the Green Bay approach who took Two solid young TE's last Draft Musgrave and Kraft I am so jealous. I had both guys coming to us but we took a BB special who couldn't even play. :rolleyes:

We should follow the Green Bay approach who took Two solid young TE's last Draft Musgrave and Kraft I am so jealous. I had both guys coming to us but we took a BB special who couldn't even play. :rolleyes:
Agreed, I don't even think the 2 TEs we did take a few years ago are even in the league anymore? Keene and asisi?

We have seen over and over cap is crap.

You repeat the meme from talk radio idiots and then contradict it in the very next post.
Cap isn't crap if teams have to make future sacrifices in order to find budgetary room to sign players.

He's probably going to command what he signed for in 2021 ($12.5M per year average).
Feels like an overpay now. But also would hate to lose him given most alternatives

I don't think he's to die for.
I don't exactly think so either. But he brought competence to the position that was clearly missing post Gronk. There's just not many good alternatives out there besides 1-2 other options.

I don't exactly think so either. But he brought competence to the position that was clearly missing post Gronk. There's just not many good alternatives out there besides 1-2 other options.
How many good alternatives are out there? And how many teams are competing to sign them?

I would try to re-sign Henry…he’s good. Why look elsewhere? He’ll be 30…so there is that. 2 years with incentives.

FTR: I am not a huge H Henry fan I have seen much better.
That's on brand for you. Everyone else's pass catchers are better than the ones in Foxboro.
Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

What are our other options? Kind of need to bring him back.

Maybe it’s too cynical but I really don’t think they need to bring anyone back. I would like to see them resign the players they believe should be the core of the team for the future, but guys like Henry don’t fit that profile for me. I don’t care what they do next season, I think everything should be focused on building the team for what they can do in 25’, 26, and beyond that. Onwenu, Duggars, Peppers are the kinds of players I see fitting that mold, but Henry is a high priced TE on an offense that needs a big rebuild, and I would look for lower priced TE’s on the market, and in the draft. However, if they can turn this offense around in the next year or two then I would look at going after a good free agent TE then, or using a higher draft pick on one then if they needed it.

I would like Henry back at the right price, but he is a good not great TE. But if the Pats have to pay a lot for him, I might go with Dalton Schultz instead. Henry is going to be 30 by the end of next season. Schultz is probably just as good as Henry, but two years younger.

It is a weak TE class. So odds are if the Pats go the free agent route to get their top TE, they are going to have to overpay.

Maybe it’s too cynical but I really don’t think they need to bring anyone back. I would like to see them resign the players they believe should be the core of the team for the future, but guys like Henry don’t fit that profile for me. I don’t care what they do next season, I think everything should be focused on building the team for what they can do in 25’, 26, and beyond that. Onwenu, Duggars, Peppers are the kinds of players I see fitting that mold, but Henry is a high priced TE on an offense that needs a big rebuild, and I would look for lower priced TE’s on the market, and in the draft. However, if they can turn this offense around in the next year or two then I would look at going after a good free agent TE then, or using a higher draft pick on one then if they needed it.
I get where you are going with this but the thing you're not taking into account on offense is that we not only have a new scheme but an entirely new staff as well.

In order to implement the new scheme w/ the new staff to see what works and what doesn't, we need good players that can build continuity into the future.

TEs are an integral part of that scheme for rushing and PA. Sign Schultz for 3 years, even if it's a bit high. Re-sign P Brown for run blocking, who also showed good hands. Draft a TE on Day 2. Sign a good RB, there's several in FAcy. Rham is in his contract year. Sign a WR1 for 3 years that is young and can stretch the field (Pittman). Draft WRs. Then there's the tackles, which you need to sign at least one (Eluemunor) and draft several. If pick #3 is a QB, then sign a bridge guy (Brissett, Minshew), to begin developing the scheme by a vet. If not, go for broke w/ a Cousins a/o Baker if they're available.

I would not bring back Onwenu ($$), Henry (age/$$) or Bourne (injury). It's a new scheme, so they add nothing to it.

I don't see why the team should just take a pass on the '24 season.

I get where you are going with this but the thing you're not taking into account on offense is that we not only have a new scheme but an entirely new staff as well.

In order to implement the new scheme w/ the new staff to see what works and what doesn't, we need good players that can build continuity into the future.

TEs are an integral part of that scheme for rushing and PA. Sign Schultz for 3 years, even if it's a bit high. Re-sign P Brown for run blocking, who also showed good hands. Draft a TE on Day 2. Sign a good RB, there's several in FAcy. Rham is in his contract year. Sign a WR1 for 3 years that is young and can stretch the field (Pittman). Draft WRs. Then there's the tackles, which you need to sign at least one (Eluemunor) and draft several. If pick #3 is a QB, then sign a bridge guy (Brissett, Minshew), to begin developing the scheme by a vet. If not, go for broke w/ a Cousins a/o Baker if they're available.

I would not bring back Onwenu ($$), Henry (age/$$) or Bourne (injury). It's a new scheme, so they add nothing to it.

I don't see why the team should just take a pass on the '24 season.

I’m not taking a total pass on 24’, I want them to get better, but I don’t think it’s the right time to go for the big ticket free agents. I don’t have a. problem with your outline for TE overall, as I don’t see Schultz as a signing like Higgins or Chris Jones etc.., I think much of what people want comes down to how they want them to approach the future. Some here seem to want a top free agent QB and WR, which would indicate that they want more immediate results than I do. I want them to get their future QB in this draft, and build around them so that they can possibly make the playoffs and maybe win a game in them in 25’, but be built so that in 26’ and the years following that they are in the class that the Bills,59ers, Eagles, and Lions erc… are in now, where they can compete for Lombardi trophies every season. I don’t believe in one or two year runs, I believe in a model where you are in the tournament every year for long stretches, and win some Lombardi’s as a result. I think there are too many factors that come into play, such as bad breaks and calls, lucky bounces, and key injuries that your best bet to win championships is to always be in the final mix of teams, rather than gambling on a couple of playoff runs. So I want them to build systematically to that. Lay the foundation with good young players and some veteran leaders, add some key players, then get the f” final” pieces to be a true contender, and try to keep the team at that level from there on for a long run. The franchises that go about things in that manner are the consistent contenders imo.

I'd overpay to keep Henry if I had to. He managed to produce even when our offense was in shambles. I don't take that lightly. The same applies to Bourne. I'm not attached to any of our other skilled position players.

I'm excited at the idea of a completely new offensive system this year. Maybe rookies will produce from day1 for a change.

Looking at the TE contracts, Taysum Hill is 12th in the NFL at $10M APY. He has a dead cap this year of $16.9M. That is awful! No wonder the Saints are in massive cap hell.

Henry isn't taking less than $11M.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back