PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo . . . Will He Become the Playmaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really looking forward to what the addition of Hightower is going to mean for Mayo.
Game changer change .... Mayo on the weak side is obviously going to be doing a lot of different things.

I think there is a lot more to Mayo than tackling machine.

A tackle isn't always just a tackle, as Mayo showed against the Saints. He wrapped up Sproles and stopped him short on 3rd down when the two players were one-on-one outside. Not every LB in the NFL is going to make that tackle, and Sproles will the get the 1st down many times.

It wasn't a sack, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery or an interception. But the Saints were punting on the next play. That's making a play.

A tackle isn't always just a tackle, as Mayo showed against the Saints. He wrapped up Sproles and stopped him short on 3rd down when the two players were one-on-one outside. Not every LB in the NFL is going to make that tackle, and Sproles will the get the 1st down many times.

It wasn't a sack, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery or an interception. But the Saints were punting on the next play. That's making a play.

This is a very good post.

Agreed, but what's best about Mayo is, he has a clutch gene, and that's not something everyone has.

On the second play of the game, Mayo was man to man on the slot receiver. (Not sure who the receiver was) And it was Brees' first option, in fact he stared it down. Mayo obviously blanketed the receiver (out of the TV camera view) and Brees then couldn't find any one and basically threw it away. That is making a play also, a play that many LBs would struggle to make.

On the second play of the game, Mayo was man to man on the slot receiver. (Not sure who the receiver was) And it was Brees' first option, in fact he stared it down. Mayo obviously blanketed the receiver (out of the TV camera view) and Brees then couldn't find any one and basically threw it away. That is making a play also, a play that many LBs would struggle to make.

Yeah, Mayo had an excellent game against some of the 'shiftier' players in the league (very quick RB's, slot WR's, etc.).

I'm really excited about how much he seems to progress each season. He's only gotten better each year. I was one of the members here who used to argue against him being a play maker a few years ago but agreeing he was about as solid of a LB as there could be.

Last year he really showed up making big plays, and he looked like one of the best coverage LB's in the league against the saints on Thursday, lets hope this carries over moving forward. Mayo is a guy we'll all agree is worth every penny for years to come.

Yeah, Mayo had an excellent game against some of the 'shiftier' players in the league (very quick RB's, slot WR's, etc.).

I'm really excited about how much he seems to progress each season. He's only gotten better each year. I was one of the members here who used to argue against him being a play maker a few years ago but agreeing he was about as solid of a LB as there could be.

Last year he really showed up making big plays, and he looked like one of the best coverage LB's in the league against the saints on Thursday, lets hope this carries over moving forward. Mayo is a guy we'll all agree is worth every penny for years to come.

He absolutely has gotten better with each passing season. I think those pesky MCL injuries have held him back somewhat, but he looks primed for big things this season if everything holds up.

Given my inclination toward this opinion I'll add it into another thread; Mayo is a playmaker and has been for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back