PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo to interview for Eagles head Coach position

I assume the Rooney Rule is in play. Having said that, Mayo has always been viewed as an up and comer with high intelligence. I think his inexperience will be a drawback. I think it's just a matter of time before he's a head coach.

I don't know if the Rooney Rule is what's happening here. You've already explained yourself what might make him an attractive candidate, and for whatever reason, people have a boner for McVay so they're probably more receptive to young coaches. The Rooney Rule would be interviewing someone of Hue Jackson's caliber where you know for 100% certain he's maxed out and the max was not good.

This is a completely different situation than Flores who spent 10 years in different coaching areas.

I doubt Mayo is ready or a serious candidate unless he is willing to be a puppet.
How long did Vrabel coach for before being made a HC? I know he owned the interview process.

I don't know if the Rooney Rule is what's happening here. You've already explained yourself what might make him an attractive candidate, and for whatever reason, people have a boner for McVay so they're probably more receptive to young coaches. The Rooney Rule would be interviewing someone of Hue Jackson's caliber where you know for 100% certain he's maxed out and the max was not good.
They’ve already interviewed Deuce Staley and Saleh I believe
The Rooney Rule is not about about interviewing for a person's caliber. It's about interviewing an ethic minority candidate. Chris thinks that base is covered. Thus, it might be that he's an attractive candidate.

The Rooney Rule is not about about interviewing for a person's caliber. It's about interviewing an ethic minority candidate. Chris thinks that base is covered. Thus, it might be that he's an attractive candidate.
Maybe offering him DC

Last edited:
They’ve already interviewed Deuce Staley and Saleh I believe
Staley doesn't count since he already works for the Eagles. The two Rooney Rule interviews have to both be with candidates from outside the organization.

He is a great guy and would make a good head coach I am sure.

He is still learning and 2020 might have been a great learning year for him as he had to integrate 1st and 2nd year LBs without veteran help on the field - no Hightower, no Van Noy, no Collins, etc. That must have been a challenge and we saw some disappointing run defense results.

I doubt he would jump to the Eagles after 2 years at the Patriots for the DC position, and highly doubt the Eagles would hire him as a HC. The Eagles are a disaster of an organization and also hamstrung with their salary cap issues. Going there would be a mistake. I think Jacksonville is a better opportunity, that is how bad the Eagle's situation is. :oops:

Yea, should have Lane sit in on the hiring process so he can give the thumbs up or down on the fun meter.
Mayo will hired on the one condition that he assumes an apprenticeship under The High Priest of the High Life himself

Aside from Wentz's contract the Eagles have an older roster that is way over the cap. It sounds like a similar situation to what Flores walked into in Miami, gutting the roster to get as many picks as possible and start over. If Mayo can handle that it might be a good situation for him.

Love the guy. Would be a terrible decision IMO.

Not a great situation to be walking into. Cap hell, a QB controversy, management problems

McVey, Lafleur, Stefanski, Taylor, Judge, Nagy, Shanahan, Kingsbury and Flores are all under 45. The NFL is trending toward younger guys, although Mayo would be the youngest of this group. I would say, based on wat we know of him as a player and leader here, if he doesn't get this job, he will be getting another one sooner than later.

Hah. Good luck, Jerod. See ya again in a few years when you get fired. That organization is a dumpster fire (albeit a fun one), and the Wentz contract is an absolute killer.

Aside from Wentz's contract the Eagles have an older roster that is way over the cap. It sounds like a similar situation to what Flores walked into in Miami, gutting the roster to get as many picks as possible and start over. If Mayo can handle that it might be a good situation for him.
Maybe there are interviewing him to have a head start for when they fire their next coach for failing in that dumpster fire of a situation?:evil:

I was curious how Eagle fans felt about Mayo as a HC so I tried 3 different Eagle MBs and found bupkis. A 4 win season seems to have effected their traffic.

He may very well be head coaching material but a few years away. This is probably a practice run, so that when he's ready for the job, he's ready for the interview process. Smart move.

My daughter just got an invite from a headhunter to apply to a job that she thinks she's underqualified for. So she hesitated. Advice from her Dad: just do it for the experience! Plus, you might be wrong; let them find out who you are and what you can do, and if they want to take you on and help you develop the skills and knowledge you don't have yet, great! Just be abundantly transparent about all that.
In addition, even if underqualified for the position applied for, sometimes the interviewer finds another position.. Never hurts to interview....

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back