PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Coach’s Breakfast 3/25

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Am I reading too much into it, or does it sound like Mayo likes Drake Maye much more than Jayden Daniels? Compare:

On what he likes about Drake Maye in the time he spent with him:
“Yeah, look, Drake Maye had a fantastic interview at the combine. He brings a lot of energy. You can tell he has that leadership ability. And also, the exciting part about a guy like Drake Maye is, the ceiling, there is really no ceiling with a guy like that.​
On his thoughts on Jayden Daniels:
“So Jayden Daniels, I was on the Zoom with him, I met him before. Look, those guys have Pro Days coming up here soon. So when you think about the process, when I leave here, I’m going to LSU. And then when I leave LSU, I’m going to Carolina before I get back home. But you have to do your due diligence.​

And it could be that if Maye is not available, then the Pats will try to trade down, if given a decent offer:

I know everyone likes to think they have the special formula to picking players, but honestly, the guaranteed way to win is to accumulate more picks. And so if we don’t feel convicted at #3, to your point, we are willing to do that as well.”​
I mean, it’s about five guys, honestly, that could come in and be a solid quarterback in the future.”​

Reactions: Ian
LOL, fingers are tired on this one...it was pretty long.

The comment I also found interesting was the one where he talked about their issues attracting guys in free agency. The whole fear of the "unknown" was absolutely an issue:

“I would say there were various reasons why guys didn’t sign with us. Once again, the unknown is scary for a lot of people and I would say, even in our building right now, it’s still unknown. Like, will I be a good head coach? I don’t know, hopefully. I think I can be. Will Eliot be a good GM or whatever he is in his role? I don’t know, we’ll see what happens with that. But look, it’s going to be a process, and once again, you guys, even sitting around this table, there will be times that you have to ask me hard questions. Like right now, we’re 0-0. We’re still in the honeymoon phase. You guys are throwing up these softballs, but I understand what I’m getting myself into as we continue to go down this trail.”

Am I reading too much into it, or does it sound like Mayo likes Drake Maye much more than Jayden Daniels? Compare:

On what he likes about Drake Maye in the time he spent with him:
“Yeah, look, Drake Maye had a fantastic interview at the combine. He brings a lot of energy. You can tell he has that leadership ability. And also, the exciting part about a guy like Drake Maye is, the ceiling, there is really no ceiling with a guy like that.​
On his thoughts on Jayden Daniels:
“So Jayden Daniels, I was on the Zoom with him, I met him before. Look, those guys have Pro Days coming up here soon. So when you think about the process, when I leave here, I’m going to LSU. And then when I leave LSU, I’m going to Carolina before I get back home. But you have to do your due diligence.​

And it could be that if Maye is not available, then the Pats will try to trade down, if given a decent offer:

I know everyone likes to think they have the special formula to picking players, but honestly, the guaranteed way to win is to accumulate more picks. And so if we don’t feel convicted at #3, to your point, we are willing to do that as well.”​
I mean, it’s about five guys, honestly, that could come in and be a solid quarterback in the future.”​
Or is it a smoke screen? Maybe he’s thinking double dip on a qb?

LOL, fingers are tired on this one...it was pretty long.

The comment I also found interesting was the one where he talked about their issues attracting guys in free agency. The whole fear of the "unknown" was absolutely an issue:

“I would say there were various reasons why guys didn’t sign with us. Once again, the unknown is scary for a lot of people and I would say, even in our building right now, it’s still unknown. Like, will I be a good head coach? I don’t know, hopefully. I think I can be. Will Eliot be a good GM or whatever he is in his role? I don’t know, we’ll see what happens with that. But look, it’s going to be a process, and once again, you guys, even sitting around this table, there will be times that you have to ask me hard questions. Like right now, we’re 0-0. We’re still in the honeymoon phase. You guys are throwing up these softballs, but I understand what I’m getting myself into as we continue to go down this trail.”
I"m having a hard time dealing with this...after Belichick,

Feel like I'm in the "Mirror, Mirror" episode. I don't know if Mayo will be a great coach, but I love these interviews. And yeah, that comment makes it clear that the Pats have to build the trust of players around the league. Job 1.

Their own guys coming back are huge for that.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back