PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeremy Hill signs with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty to be happy about if you want to be optimistic. Plenty to be skeptical about if you want to be negative. The kid has a skill set that the Pats currently don't have. Both Gillislee and Burkhead run hard, but both are a little light in the pants.

I see the Pats giving both Gillislee and Hill a look, but, barring injuries, I don't see both making it to the final roster. Any word on the money?

now at this point i am curious too to see if, like it seems, is this the end of Gillislee in New England or if there will be competition still open...

i only hope that Hill will return to his rookie season form...

now at this point i am curious too to see if, like it seems, is this the end of Gillislee in New England or if there will be competition still open...

i only hope that Hill will return to his rookie season form...

Agree.

If he plays like he did his rookie year we will be saying "Dion who?"

I do think it'll be an open competition. Hill isn't much of a ST guy so that is where Gillislee might have a leg up (even though he did nothing on ST last year). We also don't know if Hill can handle the offense and pass protection which is a prereq to even seeing the field on this team.

They save an automatic $2m if they cut Gill w/o cap residue. Hill > Gillislee talent wise so we will see.

I don’t know why but all I can think of is the Pearl Jam song.

Eh. His YPC has steadily declined, but he has been an effective receiving back. Good pick-up as long as it's for low dollars. I don't think he's going to immediately boot Gilly off the roster, though.

Eh. His YPC has steadily declined, but he has been an effective receiving back. Good pick-up as long as it's for low dollars. I don't think he's going to immediately boot Gilly off the roster, though.

I don't know what to think about the situation for him in Cinci. His YPC was 3.6 in 2015 but 3.8 in 2016. Thats not decline but its not very good.

2017 was a lost season for him. Mixon took over the lead back role by week 3 and I learned that he was hurt last year and Lewis called him out for in his opinion electing for unnecessary surgery on his ankle. Not sure what that means but since Lewis stinks I'm giving Hill the benefit of the doubt. Did the fumble vs Pitt kill his confidence? Did he sulk after Mixon took over and eventually shut it down so he could be 100% healthy for FA? Not sure.

According to Football Outsiders Cinci's run blocking has been in steady decline. In 2014 and 2015 they were 4th and 1st but in 2016 and last year they were 14th and 23rd. Add to that Dalton's uneven play and their offense became very predictable.

At any rate this team tends to get right to the core of what a player is made of. With Hill, we will find out one way or another.

Mixon averaged 3.5 behind that line Not sure what we have in Hill but his numbers aren't all on him. Bernard had the best YPC but in limited action, a lot in passing situations other than when Mixon was out late with a concussion.

RB situation in Cincy last year was a total mess. Not because of skills of Hill,Nixon and Bernard but because of stupid coach attitude towards them. Lewis looked like he hadn't had an idea which RB should have been number one. In a consequence they did not even know what as their role in Bengals running schemes. So we should not look at Hill through the lens of his last season.

I only hope that Hill will return to his rookie season form...

It seems that we have a full complement of RB/FB's, and can now focus on upgrades, camp competition and insurance against injures. Maybe a draftee can make the 53 maybe not.

Burkhead, Gillislie, Hill, White, Bolden, Develin

As of now, Gillislie and Hill compete for the active roster spot as the short yardage RB. The other usually would be inactive as Gillislie was.

Obviously, it is possible that the team has seen enough of Gillislie and will simply cut him for the cap space. Personally, I see no reason to do that any time soon. If nothing else, he could be cut in August if there are no injuries and a draftee isn't worthy of a roster spot.

Needed someone with a bit of power, good signing.

It seems that we have a full complement of RB/FB's, and can now focus on upgrades, camp competition and insurance against injures. Maybe a draftee can make the 53 maybe not.

Burkhead, Gillislie, Hill, White, Bolden, Develin

As of now, Gillislie and Hill compete for the active roster spot as the short yardage RB. The other usually would be inactive as Gillislie was.

Obviously, it is possible that the team has seen enough of Gillislie and will simply cut him for the cap space. Personally, I see no reason to do that any time soon. If nothing else, he could be cut in August if there are no injuries and a draftee isn't worthy of a roster spot.
I think it gies like this.

White plays the white role, passing game back.
Burkhead backs up white in that role.

Burkhead, Gillislee and hill compete for RB1 and RB2 in the base offense with Burkhead definitely being one.
Typically we use 3 RBs in the game plan.
Rb1 in base
RB2 in base who may play about half as many snaps as rb1
(One of these 2 is also short yardage)
Passing game back.

Bb values ball security more than anything in a running back.

If Hill puts the rock on the turf, then bb will not play him.

If bb wants a young stud running back, and I think Guice will be available at 43, then Gillislee has to get cut.

Not sure how much an improvement hed be over gill, is he cheaper?

Burkhead did pretty well in short yardage once they started using him in that role.

Hopefully im wrong and he can look like the guy he was in ‘14

If he was having a recurring problem with ankle sprains the past few seasons and the recent surgery has fixed this, this could be a huge steal.
The guy had over 1,100 yards his rookie year and followed up with 11 rushing TD the season after. That's nothing to sneeze at.
He's in his prime. He has low mileage. I assume he took short money to be here.
I have a good feeling about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back