PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Demps and a 7th round pick traded to Bucs for RB LeGarrette Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seeing Washington as almost entirely a ST player. If that were the case I would like to see Hines earn a spot and take 1 of Bolden Blount as the other backup.

Right now if Vareen gets hurt there is no one else with that skill set.

IMO we need more pass O out of the backfield that is an area that has been neglected since K Faulk was injured.
We are in agreement. I'd like to see the backs used more in the passing game.

Yes, I said that. If he didn't smack the Boise State guy, he would be going fairly high in the draft.

He has to get his head right though. If he doesn't, then his talent goes worthless.

You watched Corey at Cincinnati quite a bit, did you? How many 240 plus games does blount have?

Blount was never a starter in college. Even if he wouldn't have been suspended his final year, he wouldn't have collected huge numbers. He may have still been a UDFA. He is a bruiser back. I think he has a better role in the NFL than he did with a college team with a gimmick offense. But to compare him to Corey Dillon is a joke. He's more like Dayne from the Giants a few years back.

A touch of imagination might have resulted in BB drafting Jonathan Franklin (UCLA) at # 91 and waiting to pick up Harmon w/ the #229 pick he traded (in addition to Demps) for 1 year of Blount. As a bonus, BB could have squated on Demps rights until Demps got over his running fetish and then traded him to the highest bidder.

Alternative universe, I know (and very different permutations are possible)-- but if u don't imagine, you'll never know what u r missing :)

Y! SPORTS

... Blount's $150,000 workout bonus has been reduced to $50,000 and his $350,000 reporting bonus has been eliminated. In addition to that $450,000 in savings, Blount's base salary has been reduced by nearly 50 percent, going from $1.25 million to $630,000, none of which is guaranteed.

That salary reduction certainly makes Blount more likely to make the team.

It was pointed out earlier that he would be the most costly RB under the previous deal. This deal provides him a better chance.

This is excellent news - no real risk in this trade.

I want to see if this guy can block and pick up the blitz. If there is anything the Pats need when they face the elite pass rushing teams, it's a dependable blocking back in both the passing and running games. Blount certainly has the size to knock blitzing linebackers or safeties off their path to the quarterback, and he looks to have the quickness to punch into holes or outside as a lead blocker for Ridley or Vereen.

A lot of blocking is instinct and immediate reactions to pick up what's coming. I like this backfield depth a lot.

NFL notes: Can LeGarrette Blount fill short order for Pats? | Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

First the positive:

Blount gained 1,007 yards as a rookie in 2010, so he clearly has the requisite skill. If the blocks are there, and he gets through that first opening, he tends to excel. So in short yardage situations, he can turn a third- or fourth-and-1 into a sizeable gain; he’s that good after the initial burst.​

One negative is that:

"there was a reluctance to use Blount on passing downs because of his difficulty in blocking blitzers. That won’t sit well in Foxboro with Tom Brady’s health weighing in the balance. And if Blount is only out on running downs, that makes the offense predictable when he’s in the game."​

Solomon Wilcots adds this:

“He comes with this warning label: Ball security is not his best,” Wilcots said of the former Oregon back. “He’s had a problem putting the ball on the ground. I personally think he runs too high. I don’t think he runs with good pad level. He’s known for hurdling defenders in the open field. Even though he can be a big, strong bruising runner, Bill and that coaching staff will be on him for pad level and ball security. Those are two areas he has to improve if he’s going to have a long career in the NFL.”​

To me, Blount is potentially a short yardage back for us.

I don't see BB keeping a 5th RB who cant play special teams unless he is just insurance and perpetually doesn't dress. So I think he has to beat Bolden to make the team, which I see as unlikely.

After his suspension last year, I would say that Bolden is the guy on the hot seat.

Just thinking out loud, I see Blount and Ridley being pencilled in as the all-purpose backs and Vereen and Washington as the 3rd down type backs (Woodhead, Faulk, etc.).

Yup! And Bolden inactive, or not on the roster.

After his suspension last year, I would say that Bolden is the guy on the hot seat.

Just thinking out loud, I see Blount and Ridley being pencilled in as the all-purpose backs and Vereen and Washington as the 3rd down type backs (Woodhead, Faulk, etc.).

I don't know Blount at all other than the comments here but after watching his Youtube highlights (granted HIGHLIGHTS) two quick thoughts come to mind

1 Holy Sh#t this guy is tough to bring down, the fact that he isn' putting up HOF numbers is somewhat of a red flag. I do trust BB & the team leaders to be able to get the best out of a problem child in his contract year.

2 Being so tough to bring down has to help our D's tackling technique. If you don't wrap this guy up in practice BB will make your life a living hell

I think Bolden has just shown too much to be cut in camp.

Granted most of his numbers came against a woeful Bills defense that Belichick just flat out exploited; but he had solid games against the Dolphins and Seahawks- both teams good against the run.

Disagree on 'penciling in' Blount anywhere yet. Blount has a lot of character questions. The inability to pick up blitzes, and ball security issues could quickly have him wind up in BB's doghouse. So I'm going to hold judgment until they fight it out in training camp. Blount has upside but his downside could lead to an immediate cut.

If he can be an effective short yardage back, keep his nose clean, and not turn the ball over, I'll be happy with that. Just hope he's not a bum/wasted 7th round pick. The risk was low though, so let's see what we get. It was so frustrating when the Pats had 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2, 4th and 1, etc. and refused to run the ball, instead going EMPTY backfield so the whole world knew they weren't going to run it.

To me, Blount is potentially a short yardage back for us.

I have to agree. The comparisons to Dillon seem extreme to me. I see Blount as a player that can compare to Sammy Morris back in the mid to late 2000's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back