PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JE11 on Garoppolo

History has proven that JG made the right career decision. He did what he needed to do, in conflict with the teams goals at the time. In the rivalry between Brady and JG, JG was first to act like an NBA player. Clearly his teammates feel let down.
He was a ****Y.

Seems like this post is full of people getting off on calling another dude puh$$y or bihich...

Have you walked a mile in his shoes?

Indeed. Funny how when sports owners "tank" seasons in a row in order to win in the future people say they are smart, when a player "tanks" people say he's a puh$$y.

Jimmy's making big $$$ this season, and someone's gonna give him another big contract too. He's a big upgrade for at least a third of the league. All it takes is one team deciding he's their best option.

So, as recently as a year ago, it was us that would have decided he was our best option.

I still wonder how BB knew that he could hold pat and still get Mac. To me it was at best an informed gamble.
JGs original shoulder injury was an all too typical cheap shot and doesn't define his toughness. Neither does choosing to sit because of his contract or his agent's advice.

The NYFL owns the media.

No matter the reason, Mac to the Future is much better than a replay of Back to Cam. So would be Back to Jimmy.

JAG sat when his backup was stuck playing with a screwed up thumb. So JAG hung Brissett out to dry as well as hosing the team in general.
Wasn't JG injured also?

The season starts in two months and Jimmy still has no clue where he will play and the team he was the QB for during a SB appearance and an AFCCG appearance in 2 of the last 3 seasons traded a fortune to get his replacement and want.

Safe to say he has alot of problems beyond this hurting his chances
Wonder if he ends up in Cleveland if Watson gets the one year hiatus and they move on from Baker......

I don't see why you'd lose respect for Edelman over this. JAG screwed the team over by waiting until the last minute to bail on a game, when the backup was the QB3 with a screwed up thumb.
Weren't they both injured? If he wasn't injured why wouldn't the team fine him for refusing to play?

Edit: I think it's in poor taste for former players to take shots at current players. Also, why is it being brought up now and not then?

Last edited:
Wonder if he ends up in Cleveland if Watson gets the one year hiatus and they move on from Baker......

Browns trade a king's ransom and pay a ridiculously player friendly contract to acquire Watson, simultaneously alienating their current starting QB.

Watson gets suspended for a year, but the Baker bridge has been burned, so they're forced to trade him. Because everyone knows he doesn't want to play for them, they get a relative pittance in return.

Still needing a legitimate QB for the year, they then spend more in draft capital to acquire JG than they got back in the Baker trade.

JG gets hurt in week 3 and ends up playing 8 or 9 games.

Not saying all these things WILL happen, but it would be the most Browns thing that's ever Browned.

Always been a big Jimmy fan but obviously this isn't a good look for him. I always respected Brissett for gutting it out with one thumb as a rookie.
Garoppolo had only one shoulder, and the good one was the wrong one. I respect him for saving his career.

And if he had played and injured the shoulder and jeopardized his future, that turned out to be worth about 100 million dollars would any of you felt bad for him? Disappointed that JE shot his mouth off. I don't expect anything different from Bennett. Did he get any credit for playing the last two games this year with a bad shoulder? Apparently not.
Hear hear.
Garoppolo, like every NYFL player, has the right to treat his own injuries his own way. It's his body. If he played with a bad shoulder and that ended his career he'd be a fool and be mocked.
Someone please let me know the last time a coach had to make that kind of decision, especially the one who's pressuring Garoppolo to play injured.

Browns trade a king's ransom and pay a ridiculously player friendly contract to acquire Watson, simultaneously alienating their current starting QB.

Watson gets suspended for a year, but the Baker bridge has been burned, so they're forced to trade him. Because everyone knows he doesn't want to play for them, they get a relative pittance in return.

Still needing a legitimate QB for the year, they then spend more in draft capital to acquire JG than they got back in the Baker trade.

JG gets hurt in week 3 and ends up playing 8 or 9 games.

Not saying all these things WILL happen, but it would be the most Browns thing that's ever Browned.
I have a close friend in Ohio who's a Browns fan. He doesn't know what to do. If I were him and Watson was the QB I'd jump on the Bengals' bandwagon.

No matter the reason, Mac to the Future is much better than a replay of Back to Cam. So would be Back to Jimmy.
Several times I've managed to forget Cam ever played for us, then someone reminds me. Stop doing that!

Also, why is it being brought up now and not then?
It was something rumored back in the day, but no one was willing to go on the record since that might cause career damage.

Now the people talking smack are retired players that no longer have to worry about such career damage.

I get it, it's not the classiest thing to bring up, but it shows how much stuff we never hear about goes on.

So much media coverage is worthless garbage, it's just athletes spewing tripe and mediots regurgitating the same garbage over and over again.

Great idea about Garoppolo ending up in Cleveland for a year.

It would be hilarious if the NYFL gave Watson 2 years though. That would be one month for every accuser and also take a bite out of the ridiculous front-empty contract he received.

Several times I've managed to forget Cam ever played for us, then someone reminds me. Stop doing that!

It was something rumored back in the day, but no one was willing to go on the record since that might cause career damage.

Now the people talking smack are retired players that no longer have to worry about such career damage.

I get it, it's not the classiest thing to bring up, but it shows how much stuff we never hear about goes on.

So much media coverage is worthless garbage, it's just athletes spewing tripe and mediots regurgitating the same garbage over and over again.
Sorry. But since I have you here... you'll also want to forget that Cant tied the team record for QB rushing TDs held by Steve Grogan. That bothers me as much as anything.

I didn't like the comments from Edelman because he never did that with anyone else from the team. Bennet is all about Bennet, but Edelman has always been positive about his Patriot relationships.

It seems like the general dissatisfaction with the media is the result of the lack of real information coming from them. But is it their fault? I don't think so, even though I'm one of the first to complain.

Wasn't JG injured also?

I'm not sure why you're white knighting for JAG on this issue, but the point isn't that he was injured and missed the game, though that might have been bad enough (some players may think it was). The point is that he waited until the last minute to bow out, and put the guy without a functioning thumb into an untenable position, while screwing over his teammate*.

*We are assuming the story is true, or mostly true, for the purposes of this discussion

Weren't they both injured? If he wasn't injured why wouldn't the team fine him for refusing to play?

The team can't. Come on, now.

Edit: I think it's in poor taste for former players to take shots at current players. Also, why is it being brought up now and not then?

What an odd notion

Garoppolo had only one shoulder, and the good one was the wrong one. I respect him for saving his career.
I agree in hindsight it is easy to sit back and say he should have gutted it out but in reality if he went out there and played like crap because he was hurt he would have cost himself a ton of money and potentially a shot at being a starter elsewhere. I think a little extra resentment creeps in when a guy who may or not have been able to play didn't step up to save himself for a payday with another team. Honestly it is hard to get too mad at either Edelman/Martellus Bennett or Jimmy in this scenario. Bennett could have been a little less aggressive in his wording of the situation but I understand the frustration of putting your body on the line every week and feeling like a guy at the most important position on the field wasn't doing the same. On the flip side I understand Garoppolo's position from a business sense to make sure he doesn't jeopardize a high payday and a chance to start elsewhere.

Right or wrong, I think there is an expectation from all players that a QB should be able to play through most injuries and tough it out even if it is an injury that players in other positions would sit out. We have heard stories of Brady not even being able to take his pads on and off without assistance and he played over an entire year with a torn MCL. And you hear stories of other QBs playing though some significant injuries (Roethlisberger is a good example even though he liked to play up the fact he play up the fact he was injured way too much).

You look at Garoppolo through his career between here and San Fran and he seems really soft for a QB. Most starting QBs don't miss time even though they get more physically abused than most positions.

Mac Jones has been rumored to have the same injury as Garoppolo this past season and didn't miss a down. If true, I bet that won over a lot of players in the locker room because players respect QBs with toughness.

And as for Edelman saying what he did, he is now a sports analyst. His job is to give assessments of players even if it is inside knowledge from the past. I have no problem with him saying what he did.

I agree in hindsight it is easy to sit back and say he should have gutted it out but in reality if he went out there and played like crap because he was hurt he would have cost himself a ton of money and potentially a shot at being a starter elsewhere. I think a little extra resentment creeps in when a guy who may or not have been able to play didn't step up to save himself for a payday with another team. Honestly it is hard to get too mad at either Edelman/Martellus Bennett or Jimmy in this scenario. Bennett could have been a little less aggressive in his wording of the situation but I understand the frustration of putting your body on the line every week and feeling like a guy at the most important position on the field wasn't doing the same. On the flip side I understand Garoppolo's position from a business sense to make sure he doesn't jeopardize a high payday and a chance to start elsewhere.

All this white knighting of JAG in this thread is sad, really, and doesn't reflect well on the posters doing it. Part of the deal in football is that players play through pain and injury when they can.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back