PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JC Jackson: To pay or not to pay, that is the question

We're not the dynasty level Patriots right now.

Letting talented players walk would be a bad idea. I say extend him and lock him up. We need our next generation star players. Its time.

Pay him and keep Gilmore unless he wants to leave. Don't create needs when you don't have to.

For the people that want to trade Gilmore, you trust Bill to draft a player of equal value? I don't.

I think the younger, more desirable free agents will do alright since their longer contracts can have smaller cap hits in the early seasons. Free agents who are older or coming off serious injury or a disappointing season might have a rough time since it's significantly harder to do cap shenanigans on one year deals.
The Patriots will be interested in the latter plus injured offensive linemen draftees.

Pay him and keep Gilmore unless he wants to leave. Don't create needs when you don't have to.

For the people that want to trade Gilmore, you trust Bill to draft a player of equal value? I don't.
Do you think we can pay gilmore too and fill the holes on this team? I ask because I'm unsure about cap space and am not very cap smart lol

Gilmore has a 17m cap hit next year, but the savings for off-loading him aren't worth it. More likely, he's an extend candidate.

Jackson gets a 1st Round tender, I expect, because I doubt they'll offer him top $$$ next year and he won't agree. Poor Patriot fans might have to put up with another year of both of them...

Gilmore has a 17m cap hit next year, but the savings for off-loading him aren't worth it. More likely, he's an extend candidate.

Jackson gets a 1st Round tender, I expect, because I doubt they'll offer him top $$$ next year and he won't agree. Poor Patriot fans might have to put up with another year of both of them...
Cap hits aren't useful in isolation.

A more useful way of analyzing it:
They have $7.6M in sunk costs (signing bonus prorations) that are going to be there no matter what.
They have $9.5M in cap hit that disappears if they cut or trade him.

Do you think we can pay gilmore too and fill the holes on this team? I ask because I'm unsure about cap space and am not very cap smart lol
They will have a lot of cap space next off season. $50-$60M has been floated around and even as much as $80-$90M.

They will have a lot of cap space next off season. $50-$60M has been floated around and even as much as $80-$90M.
I just want enough to sign a good veteran QB. Somebody that can run this team for 2-3 seasons while we draft a replacement. I don't want Cam, Stid or Hoyer.

Jackson will want to wait and sign a contract in 2022 when the deal will be much higher. The pats will give him a first round tender and perhaps franchise him in 2022.

Of course you have to pay JC. Gilmore should be gone, JMC will retire. You have Jones, and 2 unknowns at Williams and Bryant.
Jackson has earned it.

Play with the scenarios. There are several good sites for this.

SCENARIO ONE
1) Consider that the following retire: Hightower, Chung, McCourty, McCourty, Edelman and Cannon. If one of these stays, I would consider it a use of available cap money.
2) Put aside $20M for veteran QB. We could make the 2021 cap hit lower if we want to have more money in 2021.
3) Presume that we will draft a QB,
========================
Folks can check, but the cap hit of this scenario may be about $80M. There will many needs, but there is a limit with regard to how many high priced vets Belichick will sign. However, this year is the year when the cost will be relatively low.

There should be little talk about now being able to afford 2 top OG's or 2 top CB's without analysis. IMO, we can obviously make these choices if we wish.

What do you gain by getting rid of Gilmore?

They have $7.6M in sunk costs (signing bonus prorations) that are going to be there no matter what.
So I stick with my point. If you think 9.5 extra is too much for Gilmore, then I don't know what to say. He hasn't been as good this year, as last - he's still worth every penny.

Pay him and trade Gilmore Or Trade him (for a haul) and extend Gilmore.

Bring back Jason for another year.

IMO we should sign him for a 5 year $ 70m contract ... 14m per seems low, but we have him under control for the next 2 years (ERFA 2021 + franchise tag 2022), thats probably 22m for the next 2 years.

So, 48m per for the next 3 (16m per) is really fair. Give him a lot of gtd money and we are set for the future.

I do really like him, but i LOVE Bills philosophy about not overpaying, and his ability to develop DBs.. So i am not sure about this one as i think someone will offer JC a lot..

The sunk cost is actually $8.9m. And if they get rid of him, they only save $7.4m. You have to find a replacement, and by that I mean a bonafide starting CB (not an All Pro or DPOY), who will play for that much.

So I stick with my point. If you think 9.5 extra is too much for Gilmore, then I don't know what to say. He hasn't been as good this year, as last - he's still worth every penny.
To be clear, I'm not advocating a Gilmore trade. My point is simply that just looking at the cap number and drawing conclusions is unhelpful.

Give him a 1st round tender this year, I believe that would be $8mil. If another team wants to sign him and give us a 1st round pick then so be it. Make him a good offer for 2022 when the cap goes back up.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back