PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason La Canfora: Revis return to Patriots looking increasingly likely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Cassel franchise and trade

Now, enough of the "they never do..." nonsense.

I was going to post the same thing. Payton's comment that NO will not give up the 11th pick for Butler suggested to me that a deal is coming together that will produce multiple draft picks for the Patriots. I would prefer that the Patriots extend Butler and pair him with Gilmore. The wild card in this scenario is Cyrus Jones who comes in for his second year with a chip on his shoulder and the skills to be a good CB. Gilmore, Jones and Rowe is a pretty good CB group.

The Butler trade has been as telegraphed as can be.
The one that hasn't happened?

There is actually no credible evidence that the patriots are even interested in trading butler.

I know we're supposed to despise the Jets, and what rational person does not happily do so? Still, what Revis did to them last season was sleazy as hell. I really don't want that kind of guy around, whatever he may have left. Give some youngster a shot and let MoneyBags slither on home.

I'm not convinced this dude is playing this season.

I'm not convinced this dude is playing this season.

me neither. its all about effort with revis. his only good year since the Jets traded him really was 2014 with the patriots when he was motivated to win a ring. with Tampa and in his 2nd stint with the jets he stunk it up.

while he may no longer be a #1 corner. to me it is an effort issue.

me neither. its all about effort with revis. his only good year since the Jets traded him really was 2014 with the patriots when he was motivated to win a ring. with Tampa and in his 2nd stint with the jets he stunk it up.

Plus he gets 6 mill whether he plays or not, he only gets more money for any amount he signs for over 6 mill. So if he signs for say 7 mill here, he only makes one mill more than if he didn't play at all. So financially, he probably won't gain much (or likely any at all) if he plays.

He was very good in 2013 as well. He didn't jump off the screen like he had before or after because they were playing him in a zone scheme, which took away everything he's best at and really deemphasizes skill at corner in general, but he did play exceptionally well as a zone corner for all that was worth.

I do think that effort and health are the main issues with Revis, but if we're looking for an inflection point in his career, I'd probably place it after 2014 rather than after 2012. I think once he won his title and got another huge contract he just didn't have a lot to keep him going. It takes a real maniac like Brady to maintain the same level of motivation after you've won it all, been paid a ton, and been universally recognized as the best at what you do. Revis isn't quite that level of pathologically competitive, and I think that (plus nagging injuries) has been the main source of his decline.

Belichick generally does not sign washed up players, so I highly doubt Revis is heading this way

BB may not sign him but placed into the right situation, I think he could succeed. He's no longer a #1 but IMO he can still read and react well on short and medium routes. He can't cover deep routes anymore. He needs to play lighter but by some accounts he has shed a bunch of the extra weight. If he came to NE on a prove it deal, I'd be ok with that.

Now if the Pats plan to keep Butler, there's no need to bring in Revis.

Belichick generally does not sign washed up players, so I highly doubt Revis is heading this way

Albert haynesworth, chad ochocinco, and joey Galloway say hi

Plus he gets 6 mill whether he plays or not, he only gets more money for any amount he signs for over 6 mill. So if he signs for say 7 mill here, he only makes one mill more than if he didn't play at all. So financially, he probably won't gain much (or likely any at all) if he plays.
If he plays next year, he won't get more than 6 million, so essentially he'll play for free. So if he plays next year, money won't be the motivating factor.

Translation=he won't play next year.

Schefter is the " Patriots" of insiders. Meanwhile, LaConfora is the " Browns" of the profession. Dude is an absolute hack.

Aren't there other veteran CBs more deserving of a shot at a ring?

Besides, there are many other ways to gets Rats fans to jump off a bridge.

As long as cheese exists.

I hate the idea, but i can see evil genius BB loving the idea of coercing the Jets into a franchise wrecking contract, then picking up player off scrap heap at a bargain, esp against Jets.

I think he's done similar more than once, Deion Branch comes to mind.

If we do sign Revis, the contract is going to seem kinda weird. I mean what do we pay him except the lowest possible amount. There's no point in paying him a penny more unless we intend to pay him 7 mill. and that makes no sense.

Actually, I can't see any team paying him 7 mill. So, I think he either plays for us or some other top flight team for nothing, or retires. Give him a lot of credit, though, if he does play under such a scenario.

It takes a real maniac like Brady to maintain the same level of motivation after you've won it all, been paid a ton, and been universally recognized as the best at what you do. Revis isn't quite that level of pathologically competitive, and I think that (plus nagging injuries) has been the main source of his decline.

This.

I trust Bill on this big time. Revis knows what to expect under Bill. Bill would give Revis a very quick boot if he didn't perform/help the team.
This is the mental masturbation part of the season so I'm envisioning Butler/Gillmore 1/2, a motivated Revis/Jones (with his head screwed on right)/Rowe 3/4/5.
With the way off season is shaping up, my greatest fear is injuries. Revis COULD be great depth.

Question: Is there any way the Pats can pay Revis without reducing the $6 mil. the Jets have to pay? ie.incentives- % of defensive snaps played, named to pro-bowl, ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes