PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Cole: Pats and Revis working on Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture the HOF ceremony with Revis and Brady going in together, having played together for a few years, won a couple of titles together, retired the same year, and both wearing NEP clothing at the induction.

Then picture Jets Insider when this happens...

While a nice image for sure, Revis is 29 I think. Brady is 37. I'm guessing they're not retiring in the same year barring a freak injury.

Mcourty is like Sasquatch.

The myth grows as more people repeat it.

It isn't a myth. The guy is a solid safety. The funny thing is the nation guys see it more than people locally. I think many people in this area hated McCourty since his second season and will never give him credit.

If you cannot see that he is an upper tier safety, you are not looking at him objectively.

Mcourty doesn't play CB much anymore unless the Pats are absolutely desperate.

Can you point to 1 big play that Mcourty has made to win a crucial game?

Look, Rodney Harrison is/was ELITE. Think back at all the big time play's that he made to seal Patriot wins like the pick 6 VS Big Ben in the AFCC or SB38 picking off Mcnabb. Harrison should have been MVP of that game.

Took me 5 seconds:

Patriots-Bills Live Blog: McCourty Interception In End Zone Seals Win For Patriots << CBS Boston

Patriots-Bills Live Blog: McCourty Interception In End Zone Seals Win For Patriots
By Michael Hurley, CBS BostonNovember 11, 2012 10:26 AM

Final: 37-31 Patriots: Ryan Fitzpatrick was so good today, but in the final moment of the game, he made his biggest mistake of the day.
Fitzpatrick threw an interception to Devin McCourty in the end zone, giving the Patriots the ball and the chance to kneel down and end the game

Look, Rodney Harrison is/was ELITE. Think back at all the big time play's that he made to seal Patriot wins like the pick 6 VS Big Ben in the AFCC or SB38 picking off Mcnabb. Harrison should have been MVP of that game.

Buffalo... 2012... INT in the end zone to close out the win when the Bills were driving. Unless you want to tell me that winning a divisional game that could have well cost us a first round bye if we lost isn't important. Other than that, QB's typically throw AWAY from McCourty. That's a good thing as well. Did McCourty do the nasty with your sister or something?

You are comparing McCourty to one of the greatest safeties of all time. McCourty is arguably a top 5 safety in this league (look at the preseason pubs and one mag has him at 3 and another has him at 4), but he is not in Harrison's category. But other than maybe Earl Thomas, name one safety who is currently even close to Harrison's league.

I agree, and furthermore:

Harrison was in his 10th year by time he got to the Patriots. Throughout college he played Safety and his entire NFL career he played Safety.

McCourty is entering his 5th and in his 3rd year he converted to a Safety.

His trajectory is not over yet.

Harrison was in his 10th year by time he got to the Patriots.

McCourty is entering his 5th and in his 3rd year he converted to a Safety..

His trajectory is not over yet.

And, more importantly, with Revis on the other side, QB's are probably going to have to start throwing his way more often this year as he'll more than likely be shading over Browner/Dennard/Ryan/whomever is covering the opposing WR2.

McCourty moved to safety when Talib came here. Which is what I said. Be wasn't upper tier as a cb. But as a safety he absolutely is. He has only played safety for 1,5 seasons and that is the position we talk when we discuss McCourty, because that's what he plays now. So I don't see why we should hang him because he isn't a top corner when we discuss him as a safety. You can't say he is easily replaceable as a safety because he wasn't top tier 3 years ago. When he played a different position.

The big play? How about the pick against the Bills? Or just the overall fact that teams don't throw deep against DMac very often. That in it self is making a big play in my opinion.

Greg Bedard was on CSNNE last night with Neumeier and Felger last night. Stated that if any deal happens it wont be done until after the season and any "hometown discount may only amount to a few million.
BTW: Both Neumeier and Felger together are total AR'SE'SS! you could tell Bedard was getting annoyed and at the end of segment responded to one of Felger's quips "you might b right..for the first time"

McCourty moved to safety when Talib came here. Which is what I said. Be wasn't upper tier as a cb. But as a safety he absolutely is. He has only played safety for 1,5 seasons and that is the position we talk when we discuss McCourty, because that's what he plays now. So I don't see why we should hang him because he isn't a top corner when we discuss him as a safety. You can't say he is easily replaceable as a safety because he wasn't top tier 3 years ago. When he played a different position.

The big play? How about the pick against the Bills? Or just the overall fact that teams don't throw deep against DMac very often. That in it self is making a big play in my opinion.

Yup.

And let's put it this way. McCourty is a faaaar better CB than Harrison would ever be.

McCourty is a Swiss Army knife compared to Harrison who was a great NFL Safety. McCourty is a very good NFL safety and an pretty good CB. He is also in just his 5th year.

What some don't understand is that the Great Rodney Harrison didn't even become an NFL starter until his 3rd year.

McCourty was a starting CB from the get-go and didn't even move to Safety until partly into his 3rd year.

McCourty has been named an All-Pro (2010, 2013) at two SEPARATE positions.

.....but of course, it's much easier for some like Triumph to merely write ridiculous and uninformed junk that "McCourty is like Sasquatch".

Last edited:
I kind of agree that the chances of a deal done before the end of the season are slim to none and Revis is going to ask for a LOT of money, probably more than the Patriots are willing to give up. However, I never thought they would pay him to come here, so ya never know.

McCourty is elite narrative reminds me of the "Mayo is elite" narrative. Both guys are good but I would never put them in the same category as Willis in the LBs category or Earl Thomas in the S category.

Triumph is like Borges, the negativity grows as he just repeats himself over and over and over and over.

Nevermind that he is always wrong, he still just keeps on repeating himself over and over and over and over...............

McCourty is considered a top safety in football by everyone other than those who are still upset Belichick didn't draft their binky that year.

McCourty is elite narrative reminds me of the "Mayo is elite" narrative. Both guys are good but I would never put them in the same category as Willis in the LBs category or Earl Thomas in the S category.

Mayo... no. He's not Willis, Kuechly, or even Bowman. But is very good. But McCourty is a top five safety in the league, IMO and definitely in the top ten. His lack of stats, as is the case with any good FS in the league nowadays, is a good thing. It means that passes have not been coming his way. As I said before, that should change this year as Revis effectively locks down the WR1 and McCourty is shading the WR2/slot WR on the other side.

Buffalo... 2012... INT in the end zone to close out the win when the Bills were driving. Unless you want to tell me that winning a divisional game that could have well cost us a first round bye if we lost isn't important. Other than that, QB's typically throw AWAY from McCourty. That's a good thing as well. Did McCourty do the nasty with your sister or something?

what about the tip play last year? that was mccourty tipping the ball gently wasn't it?

there you go, Close game, 4th quarter, Mccourty comes over and tips a pass heading to a WR that had Cole beat, resulting in an interception.

what about the tip play last year? that was mccourty tipping the ball gently wasn't it?

there you go, Close game, 4th quarter, Mccourty comes over and tips a pass heading to a WR that had Cole beat, resulting in an interception.

He's had a few game changing plays in his career but you could tell Triumph that McCourty saved 100 puppies from a burning building while firing a golden AK-47 into the air and riding into the sunset on a unicorn and Triumph still wouldn't see anything worth writing home about it.

He's had a few game changing plays in his career but you could tell Triumph that McCourty saved 100 puppies from a burning building while firing a golden AK-47 into the air and riding into the sunset on a unicorn and Triumph still wouldn't see anything worth writing home about it.

Actually Triumph would criticize him for not saving the building as well.

That's only because those things are common in his world.

They just aren't done by Patriots.

Greg Bedard was on CSNNE last night with Neumeier and Felger last night. Stated that if any deal happens it wont be done until after the season and any "hometown discount may only amount to a few million.
BTW: Both Neumeier and Felger together are total AR'SE'SS! you could tell Bedard was getting annoyed and at the end of segment responded to one of Felger's quips "you might b right..for the first time"

That's Bedard's opinion though. If Pats offer what Revis wants (which probably would be $16M AAV) a deal gets done. I mean Hernandez money off the books, cap going up, plenty of other ways to free up more space why not pay the best CB his going rate?

McCourty is servicable as a safety. Revis is a hall of famer.

Measuring football players primarily on memorable big plays is like measuring public officials on memorable speeches. They are emotionally satisfying but have limited impact on real success, whether on the football field or in advancing civilization. In both cases, it is "doing your job" on a regular basis, largely unnoticed, but making steady progress continuously, that is of real value.

So please, everyone, stop responding to Triumph's post. You are accepting the premise he puts forth, simply by offering counter evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes