PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Cole: Pats and Revis working on Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to veteran NFL reporter Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the Patriots have already begun trying to extend Revis' two-year contract.

"What I'm hearing from the Patriots is that Revis has been so good so far that they are privately already starting to talk about extending his contract," Cole said to Bleacher Report's Adam Lefkoe, adding, "they'd like to extend him now. So Robert Kraft, the owner of the team, has pulled Darrelle Revis aside and started to talk to him to see if they can get a long term deal worked out."

Report: Patriots Already Working to Extend Darrelle Revis' Contract - Extra Points - Boston.com

When they signed Revis, the reports were that the Pats could sign him to an extension this year after a feeling out process to see if he still could be elite. I guess they have seen enough.

A) Revis probably needed to know he could play for Belichick.

B) Belichick probably needed to know for sure that Revis was truly back to 100%.

Doesnt surprise me that enough time has gone by for either a or b to be resolved enough that extension talks are on the table.

Last edited:
I know that a contract can only be extended, restructured or modified once in a league year.

I was also under the impression that a contract could not be extended, restructured or modified until year two of the contract. Is that not correct?

First of all, anytime a reporter starts a story with "What I'm hearing from the Patriots" and continues it with anything other than "is nothing," you have to raise an eyebrow.

Wouldn't necessarily be shocking that the Patriots would consider an extension.

That aside, I'm sure all Pats fans would be delighted to see the Patriots agree to any extension with Revis. They very seldomly overpay. Revis seems to be the committed athlete that will want to be the best for a long time. I hope this works out.

I'm skeptical since it's only Cole reporting it, but Cole has been reputable in the past. Hope he's right. It would be great to watch Revis here for the forseeable future instead of just one season.

Meh, Bleacher Report. Articles like these are crystal ball articles. If we extend Revis, reporter looks like a super connected genius. If we don't extend Revis, everyone will have forgotten this report anyway.

I know that a contract can only be extended, restructured or modified once in a league year.

I was also under the impression that a contract could not be extended, restructured or modified until year two of the contract. Is that not correct?

Well then the extension talk begins really early then, I don't have a problem with it, people realized how good Tom Brady was when he had his elite receiver in Moss, now it's time to witness how good BB can be with his elite defender in Revis. In some games last year even without Revis our defense was showing some real flashes, imaging everyone is health with Revis this year.....

Beltrand on Felger and Mazz broke the Jason Cole story. Anyways good move by the patriots in trying to extend Darrell Revis. He is a shutdown corner, and you don't let those type of players go. Good move by Robert Kraft in trying to lock up Darrell Revis to a long term contract.

yeah, I never understood when people say "the pats dont overpay for anyone" thats pretty inacurate because generally they WILL pay premium for premium players. They just refuse to overpay for guys they dont think are big "difference makers"

they went out and extended Gronkowski after his huge season....and I wouldnt be surprised if they go out of their way to try and extend Revis. Having a revis/browner in the defense for the forseeable future gives brady a wider window to compete having an elite defense behind him.

Please do this! I really want to buy a jersey before my trip to Miami.

PS. Has anyone had any luck using the season ticket holder's discount at the proshop?

It seems like a lot of the cool items (like a brand new Revis jersey!) aren't eligible for the discount.

Please do this! I really want to buy a jersey before my trip to Miami.

PS. Has anyone had any luck using the season ticket holder's discount at the proshop?

It seems like a lot of the cool items (like a brand new Revis jersey!) aren't eligible for the discount.

Of course....someone has to pay for his contract extension....

Meh, Bleacher Report. Articles like these are crystal ball articles. If we extend Revis, reporter looks like a super connected genius. If we don't extend Revis, everyone will have forgotten this report anyway.

I know Bleacher Report has a bad rep, but in recent years they have hired a bunch of reputable reporters. Jason Coles is a nationally recognized sports writer who has written for the Miami Herald, Yahoo Sports, National Football Post, and the Florida Sun Sentinel. He is a major writer.

Of course....someone has to pay for his contract extension....

Patriot's misleading/false reputation for being cheap had nothing to do with Kraft not wanting to spend potential profits and everything to do with the limited budget philosophy that one player should not tie up cap money that Belichick feels would be better spent elsewhere.. for example in paying for better quality depth.

Honestly, if there was no cap to worry about, Ive no doubt the Patriots would be the Red Socks of the NFL as far everyone's comparative payrolls are concerned.

Last edited:

Your question is answered here.
The Patriots and Revis could agree to a restructured and/or extended contract at any time, according to NFL agent and salary cap expert Joel Corry, but if Revis receives a salary increase while reworking his deal, he cannot get another raise for at least one year.

CBA Language (article 13, section 8, page 107):
The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player's most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.

So two things to note:
Cannot increase the Salary inside a year, after a renegotiation.
Can offer a first renegotiation at any time.

I guess that sort of swings on determination of "renegotiation." If a player comes to you as an unrestricted free agent, then, presumably that is not a renegotiation.
There may be other terms. However, that one above seems to imply the Patriots could offer a first renegotiation to extend Revis at any time.

Radio report:
"It is being reported that Robert Kraft consulted Red Sox President Larry Luchino prior to opening negotiations with the Revis camp."

Good Luck.

Patriot's misleading/false reputation for being cheap had nothing to do with Kraft not wanting to spend potential profits and everything to do with the limited budget philosophy that one player should not tie up cap money that Belichick feels would be better spent elsewhere.. for example in paying for better quality depth.

Honestly, if there was no cap to worry about, Ive no doubt the Patriots would be the Red Socks of the NFL as far everyone's comparative payrolls are concerned.

Darelle Revis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a million kyle arringtons..

CBA Language (article 13, section 8, page 107):

So two things to note:
Cannot increase the Salary inside a year, after a renegotiation.
Can offer a first renegotiation at any time.

I guess that sort of swings on determination of "renegotiation." If a player comes to you as an unrestricted free agent, then, presumably that is not a renegotiation.
There may be other terms. However, that one above seems to imply the Patriots could offer a first renegotiation to extend Revis at any time.

The CBA helpfully defines renegotiation, too, as:

any change in Salary or the terms under which such Salary is earned or paid, or any change regarding the Club's right to trade the player, during the term of a Player Contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots