PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White is really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there's more to him, but so far he is only being used to block and doesn't look bad in that capacity. Let's see if his role expands in the coming weeks before writing him off.
Allen's been a FORCE blocking. It's not all about stats. C'mon guys, we all KNOW who our coach is....

650a4860cf2500a1210f08f69dd5ecc33d3f0443e880e8eea924150d9ed3fdd1.jpg

Note rhat the photographer was clawed to death just after snapping the photo. :eek:

I liked him more than Lewis then and I like him more than Lewis now
Why's that? Lewis is more explosive but, White is probably a bit more reliable and is a better pass blocker. White has improved as a runner but, I think Lewis is still a better runner.

White's improvement, especially in the running game, is remarkable. He is a different player than the guy we drafted. I had doubts at the beginning, but no more.

Agree 100%.

It's worth remembering, too, that White was a very productive runner for four seasons at Wisconsin ... 643/4015, 45 TDs with only 2-3 fumbles, total. But that was running behind a significantly different run-blocking scheme than the Pats (and many other NFL teams) use. A lot of RBs fail to make the transition successfully.

Nobody is Gronk, but Allen is a reasonable facsimile as an in line blocker. They are not using him much as a receiver (and Brady missed a couple of plays he was open) but he has made important contributions. Criticism a tad harsh.
He also pass protects in addition to run blocking bolstering the line.

I don't get the Shane Vereen with balls reference. Vereen had 11 catches against the Hawks and that was a way better defense.

Yes he had 11 catches but it was for 65 yards

White had 14 catches for 110 yards

Vereen also had 0 TD. White had 3 TD.

Might have been a better defense than Atlanta but Atlanta's defense played better than Seattle's defense up until the collapse. I mean Atlanta had held Pats to 3 points for almost 3 quarters. Pats had 14 at HT against Seattle.

And both teams ran the same defensive scheme as Dan Quinn was the DC for Seattle in that SB.

Why's that? Lewis is more explosive but, White is probably a bit more reliable and is a better pass blocker. White has improved as a runner but, I think Lewis is still a better runner.

consistency........and improvement......white is consistent, durable, and still improving

lewis, on the other hand, has not shown like he first came on the scene and is literally zero yards after contact (that is he was until a saints player knocked him forward for 2 yards sunday

I think he is more of what brady needs than lewis

consistency........and improvement......white is consistent, durable, and still improving

lewis, on the other hand, has not shown like he first came on the scene and is literally zero yards after contact (that is he was until a saints player knocked him forward for 2 yards sunday

I think he is more of what brady needs than lewis

Illegal Contact you called this early last year that James White would be a better player than Dion Lewis long term and the Patriots thought so with his recent extension kudos to you for calling it.

Last edited:
Vereen was fine, but he was a tad soft, and he had stopped developing as a player. Witness his career since traded.

He wasn't traded. He signed there in FA. He also dealt with injuries serious enough to put him on IR. That's unfortunate, but not "soft." How did two people hit agree on a post that's flat out fiction?

I like Martellus Bennett, great personality and he is doing a good job of preparing for life after football... his children's books and company, Imagination Agency, are interesting..

He, as do all of us, has a right to his opinions..

As mentioned James White is a great football player who fits real well into this system..

Yes, he's an insufferable crybaby narcissistic loudmouth. There is indeed a great deal of demand for that sort of person in contemporary media. He might well be the next Oprah.

Like many, I was underwhelmed by his rookie training camp. By the end of that season I was liking him a lot. Last year I was loving his game and eagerly joined the White/Lewis debates on this board.

I'm not surprised that he earned a front row parking spot in the off-season. Through the first two weeks this year, it looks like his game is improving YET AGAIN!

Durable, dependable, coach-able, and productive. Great ball security and great pass-protection. What's not to like?

So glad we have him!

Don't try to be snide AJ of course I know James White is not a TE or blocks like one. But even James Devin in a Full House set have more worth than that Dwyane Allen right now.

He's played two games. The need for immediate gratification by some in this forum is like that of a 3 year old child.

How did two people hit agree on a post that's flat out fiction?

I knew who one of the posters were before I even looked. He is kinda stupid.

Agree 100%.

It's worth remembering, too, that White was a very productive runner for four seasons at Wisconsin ... 643/4015, 45 TDs with only 2-3 fumbles, total. But that was running behind a significantly different run-blocking scheme than the Pats (and many other NFL teams) use. A lot of RBs fail to make the transition successfully.

Yeah but if you watched the highlight tapes that were posted on here after he was drafted, I was asking myself, where was the defense?!?!?!

So those numbers don't mean squat to me. I'm happy with his improvement he's made this season, though.

Yeah I remember at first it seemed like he couldn't break a tackle or make a defender miss to save his life. No longer the case.

What I saw in live Camp practices was that White had difficulty finding the hole to run through and was often hesitant or charged into the line where he thought the hole was going to open and then was almost immediately contacted and brought down.

At Wisconsin, White ran behind a type of power-man run-blocking scheme that was designed to open a hole in a specific, pre-determined spot so that the RB didn't really need "vision" of have to make a guess. That meant that the RB could go full-speed ahead on the handoff toward the spot where the hole was designed to open.

The Pats have traditionally run mostly zone blocking in which the hole for the RB might open up almost anywhere, so the RB needs to be able to "see" the flow of the line and the defenders and predict where the hole might open and then make a quick decision.

So, the transition/learning curve were difficult for White (as they would be for any RB in that situation) and I honestly wasn't certain after his first season that he was going to make it.

Yeah but if you watched the highlight tapes that were posted on here after he was drafted, I was asking myself, where was the defense?!?!?!

So those numbers don't mean squat to me. I'm happy with his improvement he's made this season, though.

I avoid watching "highlight reels" specifically due to their bias in favor of the player. I never saw any highlight tapes of White, but I did see several full games. His college success was due in large part to a very well-executed blocking scheme that makes it relatively easy on RBs. Nevertheless, White exploited that scheme extremely well and was also often able to gain decent yardage when facing a good defense that could read the blocking.

Illegal Contact you called this early last year that James White would be a better player than Dion Lewis long term and the Patriots thought so with his recent extension kudos to you for calling it.
Lewis has not come close to surpassing White since he has returned from his injury. In fact he is moving away from that. Without Lewis's explosiveness, White is better in every way.

I'm not sure if Dion will get it back soon enough to last here.

He wasn't traded. He signed there in FA. He also dealt with injuries serious enough to put him on IR. That's unfortunate, but not "soft." How did two people hit agree on a post that's flat out fiction?
Probably not so undone by niggling details as you are.

Lewis has not come close to surpassing White since he has returned from his injury. In fact he is moving away from that. Without Lewis's explosiveness, White is better in every way.

I'm not sure if Dion will get it back soon enough to last here.

I mean.... I'm taking it for granted that Lewis is pretty much gone after this season - not because he isn't wanted here, but because several teams have already expressed interest in trading for him. It's guaranteed he'll get offers in the offseason, for a starting role.

I just hope he can leave here with another ring....as for his explosiveness, his quickness is still pretty good as far as I can tell. I can't tell if he's a step slower or not, but he has an amazing knack for picking up extra yardage when needed.

James White has become the more complete player. I honestly did not expect him to make such a leap. But damn.... homeboy did it and proved me wrong :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back