PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White is having hip discomfort

When they said he was not partaking in many reps at mini camp, you had to know he was probably a strong pup candidate!

I think the team is going to give him all the time he needs to give himself a shot to make the roster. He's earned that.

Unfortunately, my gut tells me he retires before the season starts. That's a really tough injury to come back from at his career point.

Hopefully he can take some time off to heal up and make a comeback

Love me some J White. I’ll echo those who think / hope he retires and moves on to another successful phase of his life.

Sucks, White was such a binky through his career. Looks like it's an opportunity for the rookie, Strong to really step up and get some reps.

Yeah, with all the young blood in the backfield, it never bode well for the returning from injury, 30+ yo, 3rd down, comparatively expensive RB

White had a great career. I remember that I was bummed that he replaced Shane Vareen, as I thought SV had more agility and fludity, but man you prove me wrong so many times.

Dependable, smart, excellent recognition and route running and as good hands as you'll find in a RB. Take a bow, James, you were a BALLER.

I don't think he'll be around much longer...

Seem to remember the average career for an NFL player is something like 3.5 years, White is in his 9th season. He has been a long time asset, but torn labrum in the hip are difficult to come back from.

White had a legendary career with the Pats, we were lucky to have watched him excel at his craft. We will forever remember him in Super Bowl LI: 14 passes for 110 yards, 29 rushing yards on six carries, and scored three touchdowns (one was the game winner) in that 28-3 comeback.

Yeah he should probably call it a career.

Not a great sign. It's been about nine months right? I'll echo what I said about Edelman last offseason, it's better to retire while you still have reasonable function. If this is it for James, he goes into that pantheon of guys like Edelman, Brown, Faulk, etc. Guys who weren't usually the "superstars" on the team, but that they 100% don't win Super Bowls without.

They could start him on PUP and if he just never gets better they move him to IR and he retires after the season. Not the best use of a cap hit, but they've done guys who were "their" guys solids like that before, and if there's any chance he does get better he's valuable enough to take the chance.

Not a great sign. It's been about nine months right? I'll echo what I said about Edelman last offseason, it's better to retire while you still have reasonable function. If this is it for James, he goes into that pantheon of guys like Edelman, Brown, Faulk, etc. Guys who weren't usually the "superstars" on the team, but that they 100% don't win Super Bowls without.

They could start him on PUP and if he just never gets better they move him to IR and he retires after the season. Not the best use of a cap hit, but they've done guys who were "their" guys solids like that before, and if there's any chance he does get better he's valuable enough to take the chance.
Agree. If Sweet Feet makes a miraculous recovery and can contribute in Nov or in 2023 it's worth the $1.5m hit this year.

He's earned it.

Agreed. Still have my fingers crossed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he retires or is cut/retires before the start of the season. White is already ancient for a RB in this league and hip issues are lethal for any athlete’s future. I hope he proves me wrong, but that’s where I see this going.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back