PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Sanders could be on trade block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got to thinking guys... We really can't have enough quality db's. My position has changed. Is brandon our next franchise tag victim since we can't slap it on mankins anymore?

n......f...........w.....!!!

You should have indicated whether the Globe was speculating based on REPORTING or just on generic analysis of the sort we do too.

I got it off rotoworld. The source is at bottom of passage

James Sanders - DB - Patriots

The Boston Globe suggests that Patriots S James Sanders "could garner some interest on the trade market" after the lockout.
The Pats could go forward with Brandon Meriweather, Pat Chung, Jarrad Page, and a special teamer as their safeties. Sanders, 27, is due a $2.8 million base salary. A nine-game starter last season, Sanders intercepted three passes including a pick-six and also had a forced fumble. However, Pro Football Focus graded Sanders as a poor run defender and below-average cover man. It's hard to imagine the Pats getting more than a late-round pick for him.
Source: Boston Globe
Jul 15, 3:00 PM

was it missing b4?

Before you post get a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle of it. On one side write "why I should post this comment" & on the other write "why I shouldn't post this comment". When in doubt, go with the 2d option.

That'll go a long way to helping.

how about not mate.:)

I think often DB's are so important to any defense. Losing a Pro-Bowler in Merri would hurt our depth. I like our DB's and salary cap aside he will be off of it soon enough. Sanders is mediocre imo

Last edited:
how about not mate.:)

I think often DB's are so important to any defense. Losing a Pro-Bowler in Merri would hurt our depth. I like our DB's and salary cap aside he will be off of it soon enough. Sanders is mediocre imo
Sanders is better than mediocre. If you hadn't noticed, he's one of the few guys who despite his limitations patrols his area of the field when and where he should be.

You need to remove yourself from this mentality of youth over veterans. That achieves absolutely nothing in terms of team construction and player-player coaching.

No. He's a solid player. Others have said this as well: he is much more valuable to the Patriots than to any other team. Releasing him does not help unless the team intends to go big in free agency - but there is no one worth it (maybe Nnamdi, but the team is looking well at CB).

‪"That's a Champion Right There"‬‏ - YouTube

IMO he's worth more to the pats then the 5th round pick they will get for him but it also wont be the end of the world if they do trade him but i dont see that happeing

I got to thinking guys... We really can't have enough quality DB's. My position has CHANGED. Is Brandon our next Franchise Tag victim since we can't slap it on Mankins anymore?

Therein lies your mistake.

Sanders is better than mediocre. If you hadn't noticed, he's one of the few guys who despite his limitations patrols his area of the field when and where he should be.

Indeed.

Sanders is the Quintessential Patriot: a player of average Talent but outstanding Dedication + Motivation, utterly devoted to the Team Concept: The realization that it's the team that has 11 guys who execute their assignments ~ who do their jobs ~ as consistently and as well as possible, who end up forging the greatest Body of Work...and ultimately win the most Championships.

Indeed.

Sanders is the Quintessential Patriot: a player of average Talent but outstanding Dedication + Motivation, utterly devoted to the Team Concept: The realization that it's the team that has 11 guys who execute their assignments ~ who do their jobs ~ as consistently and as well as possible, who end up forging the greatest Body of Work...and ultimately win the most Championships.

what an inspirational post!!..reminds me of another gem...

What are we made of? Our fathers came across the prairies, fought Indians, fought drought, fought locusts, fought Dix... remember when Richard Dix came in here and tried to take over this town? Well, we didn't give up then... and by gum, we're not going to give up now!

Trade the Merryberry and we pick up a LEGIT draft pick. Trade Sanders and a future 3 for??? What a 2 and 4? The point here is we CLEAR CAP space and pursue a BETTER S on the market. Look what McCourty did as Rookie... I really think Brandon can be replaced w/ a better FA who can actually cover the pass. I haven't looked at FA market. I'm sure we can find a player better in coverage than Merryberry. We collct a 2 or 3 trading Merri.

I believe that we've had this discussion before---but here goes (again):

Since Meriweather is still under rookie contract, he provides great financial value for a player of his capability. NO--we can all agree that he probably is not the pro bowler that he has been rated at, but he has lead all of the DB's in turnovers since he has been here. He has incredible speed, he hits hard, he knows the system, Belichick plays him alot, and there is no big chance of any sort of upgrade this year, and certainly NONE for the money...

You seem to keep stating that we "could get a 2nd (nope), or a 3rd for him," yet why not let him play hard in his last yr in his contract yr---THEN we could still likely get a 3rd or 4th as a compensatory pick AND another yr of solidity in the secondary. It seems to me as the best of both worlds.

The question about Sanders is how many snaps will he get with the current makeup of the secondary. Just for grins, say there are 65 defensive snaps X 4.5 DBs on the field on any given play. That means there are 293 available snaps.

Minus 130 for Bodden and McCourty
Minus 100 for Chung and Meriweather

That leaves about 63 snaps left. Butler and Dowling would need half of those just for development (why keep Butler if he doesn't play? why draft Dowling at #33 if he doesn't play?).

Now there are just a little over 30 snaps left for Sanders. Even if he takes all of them...shutting out Arrington, Page, Sergio and the rest...is that the best use of those cap dollars? Pending injuries and surprise cuts (Meriweather/Butler), that is a legit question.

As for leadership, the 2011 team is completely different from last year. Outside of Wilfork and an emerging leader in Mayo, there wasn't much else for locker room leaders last year. Wilfork, Mayo (established), TWarren, Bodden, an emerging Chung and a surprise leader in McCourty are all patrolling the locker room this year. The only newcomers are Dowling (team captain, respected on and off the field), Stroud (strong locker room guy) and potential FA edge rushers (bet only Boy Scouts will be considered). This defense really isn't in transition anymore and doesn't need a babysitter.

Sanders did set the defense a lot last year, but if Chung and Mayo can't get the defense set correctly this year they should be replaced. Sanders is a limited player that makes up for it with effort and smarts. That just may not be enough to fend off the talent behind him. At $3M+ and a part-time role, his spot on the roster is and should be in question.

The Boston Globe suggests that Patriots S James Sanders "could garner some interest on the trade market" after the lockout.
The Pats could go forward with Brandon Meriweather, Pat Chung, Jarrad Page, and a special teamer as their safeties. Sanders, 27, is due a $2.8 million base salary. A nine-game starter last season, Sanders intercepted three passes including a pick-six and also had a forced fumble. However, Pro Football Focus graded Sanders as a poor run defender and below-average cover man. It's hard to imagine the Pats getting more than a late-round pick for him.

we look SOLID at DB and a move like this could net us that extra ST guy on the roster. Maybe a Lee Smith type I keed I keed, but hopehe could crack it

Not sure I like this. He has come up big for us in the past. It was him who intercepted manning in the last minute of the fourth quarter of the colts game last year. That was huge.

Not sure I like this. He has come up big for us in the past. It was him who intercepted manning in the last minute of the fourth quarter of the colts game last year. That was huge.

Absolutley right on - Sanders is tough and smart - he can be counted on to ALWAYS be where he is supposed to be and the guy makes plays. He is a steadying factor and teacher for all the DB's.

Good thread Solderking - even if you did get trashed over your sources, big deal, it is just great to talk football isn't it??

I like this proposed move.:):)

we look SOLID at DB and a move like this could net us that extra ST guy on the roster. Maybe a Lee Smith type I keed I keed, but hopehe could crack it

Of course you like this move. It's a stupid move.. And at 2.8 million, Sanders is a bargain.

I find it funny that you'd rely on a guy who is a UFA and not currently signed to the team, a guy who many have felt hasn't done enough to warrant another contract going forward in Meriweather, Chung and an Unknown player.

As for PFF claims about Sanders, I am pretty sure that most people have learned to ignore PFF when it comes to their assertions.

Last edited:
The question about Sanders is how many snaps will he get with the current makeup of the secondary. Just for grins, say there are 65 defensive snaps X 4.5 DBs on the field on any given play. That means there are 293 available snaps.

Minus 130 for Bodden and McCourty
Minus 100 for Chung and Meriweather

That leaves about 63 snaps left. Butler and Dowling would need half of those just for development (why keep Butler if he doesn't play? why draft Dowling at #33 if he doesn't play?).

Now there are just a little over 30 snaps left for Sanders. Even if he takes all of them...shutting out Arrington, Page, Sergio and the rest...is that the best use of those cap dollars? Pending injuries and surprise cuts (Meriweather/Butler), that is a legit question.

As for leadership, the 2011 team is completely different from last year. Outside of Wilfork and an emerging leader in Mayo, there wasn't much else for locker room leaders last year. Wilfork, Mayo (established), TWarren, Bodden, an emerging Chung and a surprise leader in McCourty are all patrolling the locker room this year. The only newcomers are Dowling (team captain, respected on and off the field), Stroud (strong locker room guy) and potential FA edge rushers (bet only Boy Scouts will be considered). This defense really isn't in transition anymore and doesn't need a babysitter.

Sanders did set the defense a lot last year, but if Chung and Mayo can't get the defense set correctly this year they should be replaced. Sanders is a limited player that makes up for it with effort and smarts. That just may not be enough to fend off the talent behind him. At $3M+ and a part-time role, his spot on the roster is and should be in question.

While I think the team could get by without him, as you have indicated above, I think they are ultimately better with him. He did play a ton of snaps last year and has by far the most experience in the secondary (excluding Bodden from the equation) let alone at safety. Meriweather has been benched by BB, and if we ever needed an indicator of how BB feels about BM, that fact should be part of it. Plus Jarrad Page could get scooped up by a safety needy team like the Bengals or Jets.

Sanders is entering his 7th year in the league and he's getting to the point where he's seen it all and few things will surprise him. He's at that point when he can start to predict what will happen as plays transpire. Maybe this is all hogwash, but I especially value experience at the safety position (I thank Harrison for that) and he's what we've got for experience.

And to boot, after this season BM and Sanders will be free agents, and I think it will be easier to keep Sanders than BM.

And I think that BB likes having 4 good safeties now. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that after McGowan went down last TC, we traded for another guy (Page). We looked fine at the position with Chung, BM, and Sanders but he shopped for an addition anyways. I see that being the case again this year. Chung, BM, Sanders, and someone else (be it Sergio Brown, McGowan (via re-sign), or Page (via re-sign)). While the snaps may be spread out between a lot of different players, the way BB has been investing resources into the secondary that seems to be a part of the plan.

n3uf5v.jpg

Where did you find a self-portrait of FredfromDarthmouth, DWToys, and Solderking????

Get rid of both of them problem solved. Merriweather is on last year of rookie deal, correct! That is why he has some trade value...otherwise he wouldn't. Sanders is being paid big money to be mediocre, that's why he is outright cut.

Get rid of both of them problem solved. Merriweather is on last year of rookie deal, correct! That is why he has some trade value...otherwise he wouldn't. Sanders is being paid big money to be mediocre, that's why he is outright cut.

Would Meriweather command more in a trade than he would with another year here and a 3rd/4th round comp pick? I seriously doubt it. For what he gets paid under the last yr of a rookie deal, wouldn't it be better to keep him this yr AND get (about) the same in return anyway??? Seems like a no-brainer to me..

As far as Sanders goes, didn't we just establish that he has a 2.8 million salary? Is that really what you consider 'big money?' He started at times last yr, and could end up doing the same again if injury/benching occurs again. To me, that is worth the 2.8 million.

And I think that BB likes having 4 good safeties now. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that after McGowan went down last TC, we traded for another guy (Page). We looked fine at the position with Chung, BM, and Sanders but he shopped for an addition anyways. I see that being the case again this year. Chung, BM, Sanders, and someone else (be it Sergio Brown, McGowan (via re-sign), or Page (via re-sign)). While the snaps may be spread out between a lot of different players, the way BB has been investing resources into the secondary that seems to be a part of the plan.

The Pats went extra safety in the nickel a lot last year. Given that Belichick spent a premium pick on a combo DB, I'm thinking he isn't satisfied with the status quo. That means that someone is losing snaps. Arrington obviously loses with Bodden back, but I can't imagine the safeties escape the offseason unscathed.

Assuming Chung doesn't take a step backward, I see Meriweather and Sanders competing for one spot...that being the deep cover safety role. I agree with you that there will be 4 safeties on the roster. However, the #3 (all-around guy that can sub when needed and take some matchup nickel snaps) and #4 spots (ST guy with potential) can be filled for much less than $3M. Page seems like an ideal #3 and he shouldn't get much interest as a UFA. Barrett was claimed, extended and paid a year's salary to rehab for a reason...and it may be as more than just in the kicking game. He has massive potential if he can get coached up.

That is without mentioning Sergio, McGowan coming back (unlikely), Dowling taking snaps from the safeties (likely) or the Pats picking up UFA/UDFA safeties (also likely). That is a lot of talent challenging for snaps in an area where the Pats (playing Sanders a lot) struggled last year.

With a flood of free agents, very short free agency, and only a week before training camp; I doubt the Pats will be able to trade Sanders. I think any team hoping to trade players this preseason (with the exception of possibly Kevin Kob and a small handful of others) are kidding themselves.

Sanders has little value until the free agent safeties of his quality or better are signed somewhere. Even then, I don't know how much trade value he would have.

If the Pats are looking to dump Sanders, it could mean that they plan to move Dowling to safety. Otherwise, the Pats are mighty thin at the position with McGowen and Page both free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back