PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jalen Ramsey

I reported some of his stats. Those stats were not good last season, that's a fact. I also think it's likely Ramsey still makes the Miami secondary better but they're not getting a top 5 CB anymore.
I am sure practicing against those Elite WR's won't help Ramsey either. :rolleyes:Keep lying to yourselves Pat Homers.

The rumor mill said prior to the trade Ramsey wanted a new deal, despite having many years left on his current one… that he wants to be the highest paid CB in the league again.

If they traded a third and he is willing to play under his current deal, it’s not so egregious. If they made that trade, and now overpay him it will be.
They save ~$7m if they cut Howard after this year. Seemingly they can pay Ramsey but he also turns 29 in Oct. Not the best age to give a big money deal to.

I am sure practicing against those Elite WR's won't help Ramsey either. :rolleyes:Keep lying to yourselves Pat Homers.
I love it!... first time ever on this forum that I've been accused of being a Patriots Homer. I think you've inadvertently insulted a lot of people lol.

The rumor mill said prior to the trade Ramsey wanted a new deal, despite having many years left on his current one… that he wants to be the highest paid CB in the league again.
Ramsey needs to watch some of his film from this past season.

They save ~$7m if they cut Howard after this year. Seemingly they can pay Ramsey but he also turns 29 in Oct. Not the best age to give a big money deal to.
Teams typically know these things in advance of the trade.

It might be a clean salary dump for the Rams and Ramsey might be satisfied playing under his current deal because he wanted to live in tax free Florida and go to South Beach nightclubs. It doesn't mean he would have taken the same conditions to move to New England.

I don't get all the moaning, Ramsey now isn't the Ramsey of his youth. They also had Howard and Byron Jones before, they've seemingly always had two Pro Bowl CB's and have yet to produce a ring. So what...

I love it!... first time ever on this forum that I've been accused of being a Patriots Homer. I think you've inadvertently insulted a lot of people lol.
craw don't take it personal I was just making a point. IF BB made that move the whole board would be doing this.
Clapping Applause GIF

craw don't take it personal I was just making a point. IF BB made that move the whole board would be doing this.
Clapping Applause GIF
Name one time in history where BB traded for a player, then paid him top of the market money.

He traded a first for Brandin Cooks, Cooks wanted 80 million the next season, and BB shipped him out for a first.

This is why I said it would never happen in New England prior to this trade, because it never has.

PFT just reported that Ramsey WILL get a new deal with the Dolphins. Though its not bigger in contract money it IS bigger in guaranteed money So the deal is for the next 3 years he's going to get $17, 18, and $19MM FULLY guaranteed. So unless his game improves a lot from 2022, the Phins are going to be on the hook for a "good" CB, but paying for an elite one.

Clearly Miami is going all in for 2022.

Name one time in history where BB traded for a player, then paid him top of the market money.

He traded a first for Brandin Cooks, Cooks wanted 80 million the next season, and BB shipped him out for a first.

This is why I said it would never happen in New England prior to this trade, because it never has.
We better hope they get a poor mans Sauce Gardener in the Draft we couldn't stay with the likes of Diggs - Hill - Waddle and we can add Garrett Wilson on the Jets IF Rodgers goes there. Jonathan Jones won't cut it on the Outsides against those Elites.

We better hope they get a poor mans Sauce Gardener in the Draft we couldn't stay with the likes of Diggs - Hill - Waddle and we can add Garrett Wilson on the Jets IF Rodgers goes there. Jonathan Jones won't cut it on the Outsides against those Elites.
Neither could Ramsey.

Jonathan Jones has been a Tyreek Hill eraser over the years, he isn't supposed to be be playing outside against the 6'3" Garrett Wilson's of the world. That's why the Pats D needs some more depth at big CB, when Jalen Mills went down with injury last season they had no big CB's to matchup with anyone.

They have 11 draft picks and a war chest of cap space, they have the resources to sign a free agent CB or draft one... or two even. Ramsey isn't the only good big CB in the NFL.

PFT just reported that Ramsey WILL get a new deal with the Dolphins. Though its not bigger in contract money it IS bigger in guaranteed money So the deal is for the next 3 years he's going to get $17, 18, and $19MM FULLY guaranteed. So unless his game improves a lot from 2022, the Phins are going to be on the hook for a "good" CB, but paying for an elite one.
That's a terrible contract for a player who noticeably deteriorated last season. Maybe he shut it down a bit because their season was hopeless by week 13 but that's not a good sign either. The trade is a B-. The new contract is a D-.

We better hope they get a poor mans Sauce Gardener in the Draft
Sauce was the best CB in the NFL by almost every metric. As a rookie. Best pick of the 2022 draft.

You only mention the bad and you ignore the good. Not to mention that Tavon Wilson wasn't a bust for the Pats.
Let's ignore all the OTHER 2nd round picks who've been successful.

Successful 2nd round picks. :
Matt Light.
Deion Branch
Eugene Wilson - S
Patrick Chung - S
Sebastian Vollmer
Rob Gronkowski
Shane Vereen
Jamie Collins
Jimmy Garappolo
Josh Uche
Kyle Dugger - S
Christian Barmore

They had some mediocre talent in there:
Adrian Klemm
Bethel Johnson
Marquise Hill
Darius Butler - CB
Tavon Wilson - S
Brandon Spikes
JoeJuan Williams - CB

And yes, they had Busts:
Chad Jackson
Ron Brace
Jermaine Cunningham
Terrence Wheatley - CB
Ras-I Dowling - CB
Aaron Dobson
Jordan Richards - S
Cyrus Jones (Who had an undiagnosed heart condition that wasn't found until he signed with Denver) - CB
Duke Dawson - CB

In terms of 2nd round CBs, the Pats should be at 59% and 2nd round safety should be 77%.
CB - 0-2-4 = 16.7%
S = 3-1-1 = 70%

The question to ask is who was the person who scouted Wheatley, Dowling, Richards, Jones, and Dawson and made the decision to put them in front of Bill. Were they the consensus amongst the Scouts? Was it Caserio over-riding the Scouts? Did Steven have a say in it?
That's not his point though. More that BB has a penchant of taking DBs in the second round way earlier than projected and then fail.

His late/fa DB record is way better than those taken in 2nd round for some odd reason.

Clearly Miami is going all in for 2022.
So, let's summarize some of the Fins recent moves:
* A 1st, 2nd, two 4ths and $120M for 4 years for 29 year old Tyreek Hill, whose game is based on speed. Although he clearly improved the Fins last year, that was a pile to give up.
* A 1st and 4th and $110M over 5 years for Chubb, who at least is young at 26.
* A 3rd and $54M fully guaranteed for 28 year old Ramsey, who isn't that old but whose performance significantly tailed off last year.
* $75M over 5 years for 31 year old Armstead.

As you say, Miami is going "all in" for the upcoming year, but by massively mortgaging the future both in draft picks (including the ones lost in the TB fiasco, three 1sts, three 3rds, and two 4ths and counting) and especially the giant contracts they are giving out. If they were renting some proven QB like Rodgers maybe it wouldn't be completely crazy. But even if Tua showed he can be a quality starter on the field last year (at least IMHO), between his college career and his career at Miami he simply seems to be one of those players who suffers major injury after major injury, unfortunately. Why go "all in" under these circumstances?

Miami may very well be a handful next year (especially if Tua can stay on the field when we play the Fins), but they really seem to be torpedoing their chances in the future by sacrificing all of these draft picks and giving out these gigantic contracts. Thank goodness they don't have anyone with much sense in charge there.

I guess one could argue whether or not it was "top of the market money", but the only one that springs to my mind is Stephen Gilmore, but clearly BB saw clearly what others didn't, that in the Patriot system Gilmore at his peak could be a true difference maker.

sanford and son GIF

I guess one could argue whether or not it was "top of the market money", but the only one that springs to my mind is Stephen Gilmore, but clearly BB saw clearly what others didn't, that in the Patriot system Gilmore at his peak could be a true difference maker.
Gilmore (27 years old) was a free agent though, BB didn't have to trade for him.

Ramsey required draft compensation to acquire, and now he wants to be the highest paid CB in the league if reports are accurate.

That's not smart, they made Xavien Howard the highest paid CB in the league and he fell off. Now they're acquiring another overpriced CB approaching 30.

Sauce was the best CB in the NFL by almost every metric. As a rookie. Best pick of the 2022 draft.
Best rookie CB maybe, Tariq Woolen probably got robbed in the DROY award and may have been better... Sauce was not the best CB in the NFL.

Keep the hyperbole in check...

Best rookie CB maybe, Tariq Woolen probably got robbed in the DROY award and may have been better... Sauce was not the best CB in the NFL.

Keep the hyperbole in check...
Just utter insanity to argue a guy that was First Team All-Pro as a rookie is the best player at his position in the league. How could anyone possibly hold that opinion???

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back