PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jags want McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt blame josh for leaving if some team is dumb enough to hire his ass. lol

supposedly the rams are very interested. he'll last 2 years before he returns to NE as the qb coach!

As long as McDaniels doesnt go to the Colts or Jets, I'd cheer him on and root for them when they aren't playing the Pats.. but if he turns into a sellout and goes to either of those 2 orgs, he's dead to me

First of all, I'm not convinced that McDaniels will make a good head coach. My fear is that the BB assistants go to other places and try to be BB (Mangini is one example) but they can't pull it off. And if he does get a HC job, I'm thinking there's a better opportunity out there than Jacksonville.
Billicheck wasn't a good coach in Cleveland either because he tried to be Parcells. I agree Josh did that in Denver but a recent article on him showed he analyzed why he failed and understands that point. It also sounds like he has grown a ton and is more willing to delegate and listen seriously to other opinions. Less I am the boss do what I say and more listen to all theories and make the best decision for the team. You have to remember he is still in his 40's and it's hard to get a team to buy in when you are only a few years older then them. Josh was Fantastic in Denver for half a season before the wheels fell off and he looked awful for the rest. Due to his family I believe it has to be a perfect situation for him to leave because they love it here in NE. Jags are a lot of that perfect situation and if they trade a 10 ten pick for Grop and get a solid GM Josh works well with....could be interesting. Will it happen? Eh I put the odds at 40-60 against but it's not a dumpster fire like Cleveland or the Jets and it makes sense that he is the number one guy on a lot of teams lists. His work the past couple years speaks for itself.

is brady going with him?? mcdaniels isn't head coach material.

I think it's way too early to make that conclusion. Lots of good coaches have struggled early on. Part of it is that the personnel doesn't match the system they want to run. They can adapt some of it, but they're at a major disadvantage in personnel usually at the start and it can take several years to get the right guys.

Coaches like Belichick and Noll didn't have a winning season until year 4. Walsh lost his first 2 seasons in San Fran. Landry had a losing record until his 7th season.

Josh didn't even get 2 full years and definitely didn't have a QB at any point during that time.

We also forget that coaches are like players, and they get better with experience and learn and develop as well. There are definitely things Josh will do differently this time around than last. It's not always the exact same thing. BB learned a lot from his Cleveland experience, and it made him a better coach this time around.

Billicheck wasn't a good coach in Cleveland either because he tried to be Parcells. I agree Josh did that in Denver but a recent article on him showed he analyzed why he failed and understands that point. It also sounds like he has grown a ton and is more willing to delegate and listen seriously to other opinions. Less I am the boss do what I say and more listen to all theories and make the best decision for the team. You have to remember he is still in his 40's and it's hard to get a team to buy in when you are only a few years older then them. Josh was Fantastic in Denver for half a season before the wheels fell off and he looked awful for the rest. Due to his family I believe it has to be a perfect situation for him to leave because they love it here in NE. Jags are a lot of that perfect situation and if they trade a 10 ten pick for Grop and get a solid GM Josh works well with....could be interesting. Will it happen? Eh I put the odds at 40-60 against but it's not a dumpster fire like Cleveland or the Jets and it makes sense that he is the number one guy on a lot of teams lists. His work the past couple years speaks for itself.
Belichick took over a dumpster fire in Cleveland and had to built it the old way with no free agency. He built a good team and was in the playoffs with a round 1 win (over parcels) in 1994. If modell hadn't screwed in all up by moving the team Cleveland may have become a dynasty under BB.

I think MacDaniels is going to wait for the right franchise situation to come along, like Belichick he knows that failing on his second chance could ruin his coaching career. I could see him going to any franchise that hires Caserio, Detroit if they dump Caldwell, or a franchise that gives him substantial control over football ops. I think he will pass on perennial losers with unstable front offices.

Billicheck wasn't a good coach in Cleveland either because he tried to be Parcells.

BB made some mistakes in CLE but saying he wasn't a good coach is not accurate.

He turned over roughly 85% of the roster in the first 2 years

1991: 6-10. He gutted the operation Offense 16th, Defense, 14th
1992: 7-9. Offense 20th, Defense 10th
1993: 7-9 Offense 15th, Defense 17th. Started 5-2 and Bernie Kosar started a locker room war.
1994: 11-5 Offense 11th, Defense 1st
1995: Started off 3-1 and the world ended

Josh has the luxury of waiting for the dust to settle on coach firings and looking for the best fit. I believe he would like to move back near home (NE Ohio). That said, the Bengals (if Lewis gets fired) or the Bears (ditto Fox) might be considerations.

I think it's way too early to make that conclusion. Lots of good coaches have struggled early on. Part of it is that the personnel doesn't match the system they want to run. They can adapt some of it, but they're at a major disadvantage in personnel usually at the start and it can take several years to get the right guys.

Coaches like Belichick and Noll didn't have a winning season until year 4. Walsh lost his first 2 seasons in San Fran. Landry had a losing record until his 7th season.

Josh didn't even get 2 full years and definitely didn't have a QB at any point during that time.

We also forget that coaches are like players, and they get better with experience and learn and develop as well. There are definitely things Josh will do differently this time around than last. It's not always the exact same thing. BB learned a lot from his Cleveland experience, and it made him a better coach this time around.

mcdaniels drafted tim tebow with a 1st round pick. i would never ever hire him.

BB made some mistakes in CLE but saying he wasn't a good coach is not accurate.

He turned over roughly 85% of the roster in the first 2 years

1991: 6-10. He gutted the operation Offense 16th, Defense, 14th
1992: 7-9. Offense 20th, Defense 10th
1993: 7-9 Offense 15th, Defense 17th. Started 5-2 and Bernie Kosar started a locker room war.
1994: 11-5 Offense 11th, Defense 1st
1995: Started off 3-1 and the world ended
Ok I might have misspoke I was thinking more of his relationship with the media then on the field product. They HATED him as did the large majority of the fans because he tried to treat them like Parcells did and Bill love him to death is no Parcells. He tried IMO a little too hard at I'm the boss you do what I say instead of "just doing what's best for the football team" which is much more his style. Its fine to admire people and adopt parts of what works for them but at the end of the day you have to be yourself. Belicheck is grumpy closed lipped and dour...and it works for him. Josh tried that a little in Denver and it did not work and the article I read sounded like he realized that and would do things differently in round 2. My point was the similarities between Josh and Bill are striking and while I don't think Josh will be anywhere near what Bill is today he has proven he deserves a second shot and can be a successful HC

Josh has the luxury of waiting for the dust to settle on coach firings and looking for the best fit. I believe he would like to move back near home (NE Ohio). That said, the Bengals (if Lewis gets fired) or the Bears (ditto Fox) might be considerations.
I don't like the distraction to the team when the Pats are trying to prepare for playoff games and a coach or coaches are caught up in speculation about head coaching jobs and may even be taking trips for interviews. It's too reminiscent of the Parcells fiasco during Super Bowl XXXI.

They just took goff #1 overall and you want them to trade him for a 2nd?
They are building their team around him.
Goff is a work in progress, still no reason to think he'll ever amount to anything special.

So how about trading JAG for Goff and a second? Gives the Rams a starter who proved successful in his chances, moreso than Goff has. Gives the Pats a first overall QB talent on the second year of a rookie contract, ready to groom for the future.

Goff is a work in progress, still no reason to think he'll ever amount to anything special.

So how about trading JAG for Goff and a second? Gives the Rams a starter who proved successful in his chances, moreso than Goff has. Gives the Pats a first overall QB talent on the second year of a rookie contract, ready to groom for the future.
There is no reason to think the guy who came into the league as huge prospect worthy of the #1 pick will ever amount to anything special? You are kidding right? What do you base that on? His rookie year in a middle school offense with coaches that eat paint chips?

Khan gave Gus 5 years (edit 3 years) Let me tell you, McD with Lee, Burns, Allen and a competent QB, decent Line for 3 years? Could be A LOT worse.

I had put the Jags job as the best position for a new HC next year. I dont know how much will McD reliquinsh, control wise, for something like that.

I agree. Jacksonville has a significant building block type player in every unit of its roster. They have potentially elite players in Robinson, Fowler, Jackson, Jack and Ramsey. They have a significant if miscoached talent at QB, and if McDaniels doesn't like Bortles that can trade him, draft a QB top 5, or make a move for Jimmy G.

Most importantly, they have an owner who is willing to be patient with the right coach.

I think the ideal fit for mcdaniels is Cincy.

Mcdaniels needs to run from the Rams and Browns due to ownership concerns,

The jags are young and have good pieces, but no identity and run terrible schemes. Bottles head is mush at this point. He need a year or two on the bench to learn how to read defenses, look defenders off and get the ball out quickly. The jags are in desperate need of a running game,

I don't like the distraction to the team when the Pats are trying to prepare for playoff games and a coach or coaches are caught up in speculation about head coaching jobs and may even be taking trips for interviews. It's too reminiscent of the Parcells fiasco during Super Bowl XXXI.

It happened with Charlie and RAC and that worked out just fine.

The distraction stuff is overrated,IMO

Kraft needs to raise McDaniels' salary and keep him until Brady retires.
However I think hes ready to fly and he has all of BBs support.
A ripple effect is the coaches Josh takes with him out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes