PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brissett, would you take him back if cut by the Colts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heck are you talking about? They added Hoyer into that deal because the 49ers were going to release him anyway because with Jimmy G and beathard they didn't need him anymore, and the Pats felt Hoyer was a good cheap backup that suited the team well because it was unlikely he'd ever see the field.

I think you have it backwards. Hoyer supposedly was part of the deal, until BB remembered it would cost a comp pick versus signing him after the release. (There's a rule that if you trade for a player in the first year of a deal that counts in the comp pick formula, he becomes one of your FA signings, even if he played more for his original team.)

On a team friendly deal yes

Then you're simply wrong. By every measurable standard as well as every available statistic, Hoyer is a worse quarterback than Brissett on the field. He's less dynamic, less intinctive, less efficient, less accurate, has less arm power, is less athletic and more prone to turnovers. Brissett also has a track record as a good motivator and field leader, which would be the only ways in which Hoyer could actually compete with him but those aren't really measurables so we'll call them a wash, Brissett is literally superior in every other way.

Brissett is a conservative thrower so Hoyer can occasionally make more aggressive plays but looking at the turnover differential that's not really a good thing

Hoyer started 2 games for the Colts in which they went 0-2 while Brissett wenr 7-7 (Remember, Brissett wasn't even supposed to start last year!). Hoyer's literally the reason the Colts had a losing record.

I'll take a guy who went .500 as a starter last year as my QB2 15 times out of 10, especially compared to a guy who hasn't started and won a football game since 2015
I'm not like some of these other guys who will go on days debating with someone. I can't be bothered to answer this complete nonsense. A guy who lost his starting job a year after signing his contract is better in every measure? Please man.

I'm not like some of these other guys who will go on days debating with someone. I can't be bothered to answer this complete nonsense. A guy who lost his starting job a year after signing his contract is better in every measure? Please man.
Hoyer hasn't had a starting job to lose since 2017.

Hoyer hasn't won a football game he started since 2016. Brissett won 7 last season.

A tweener who could start in an emergency but can't hold down a starting job longterm is absolutely a better football player than the Brian Hoyer that currently exists. Hoyer in his prime was barely better than that. Hoyer is nowhere near his prime anymore.

Hoyer hasn't had a starting job to lose since 2017.

Hoyer hasn't won a football game he started since 2016

A tweener who could start in an emergency is absolutely a better football player than the Brian Hoyer that currently exists. Hoyer in his prime was barely better than that.

Hoyer fits in well as a backup here and he's cheap. Jacoby will cost way too much and frankly I think Hoyer will work better with the kid. If the kid sucks, I frankly don't care who steps in. I don't think having Brissette would translate to more wins though. The rest of what you are saying is just noise. I get it, you don't like Hoyer. He lasted alot longer in this league than Jacoby will, though. I'll say it again, if Jacoby wants to play for the min, sure.

That's fine, but pretending that brissett isn't better at football than Hoyer at this point in their careers is dumb, so thanks for walking that back

That's fine, but pretending that brissett isn't better at football than Hoyer at this point in their careers is dumb, so thanks for walking that back
Post the quote, with the context associated with it, where I said that. I said I like the leadership and price tag of Hoyer.

Jacoby is not considerably better either, that's clear. Your list was crazy.

Post the quote, with the context associated with it, where I said that. I said I like the leadership and price tag of Hoyer.

Jacoby is not considerably better either, that's clear. Your list was crazy.
You're simply mistaken about that. Frankly, Brissett is a mediocre QB, but Hoyer isn't even mediocre.

Dude hasn't won a football game in 4 years. brissett was a .500 QB as a starter. How you can sit there and say that a guy who wins 50% of his starts isn't objetively superior to a guy who wins 0% of his starts is beyond me.

#1..the Patriots are NEVER bringing Brissett back this season

#2...the Patriots are never bringing Brissett back period

#3...any "Pats" fan that even hints, even merely suggests an appearance for ANY reason by Tyrod Taylor needs to turn in his fancard for green Fireman Ed helmet

Methinks Bill Parcells talked the Patriots into Drafting Brissett. If released his status is certified "journeyman".
He might be a hair better than HoyerIMO, Methinks #2, is Hoyer is here because he knows the system. The same might be said for Brissett if he is to be considered. With this Covid thing, getting a QB from scratch be it Dalton a trade for Trubiski or even the dilemma of starting of Rookie QB this season will be a task heightened. But you them view Salary requirements and Hoyer wins.
As much as I am NOT a fan of Newton, he is actually the only QB out there including Stidham, Hoyer, Brissett, Dalton, Trubiski, or whomever, that gives us the best chance to win......"But D.W., you just said this year was going to be difficult to absorb a new system for a QB?" True, but the improvisation of a Netwon and the fact that you have to "game plan" for him and if he is healthy well then he is dangerous.
That is assuming Newton would take a Team Friendly Deal with a chance to resurrect his brand.
If you believe the BB mantra..."He gives us the best chance to win".....I see him as the best choice.
DW Toys

Newton is damaged goods and he doesn't play a style of football that's compatible with the personnel we have. hard pass from me.\

also one of the reasons Newton's career has been volatile is that he's prone to turnovers. Which to be honest is my biggest beef with Hoyer too as a football player, and why I'd actually like to see Brissett brought in as a backup, since he's got a good track record of not giving the ball away.

If Brissett were willing to come here for Hoyer money, signing him would be the ultimate no-brainer.

That said, if I'm coach Belichick, and I suspect that I'm not, I'm giving the unproven kid on the rookie deal every chance in the world before I hand the keys to a higher cost QB who has proven to be a bottom third starter at best

Brissett looked pretty good during his brief stay in Foxboro. That said, he had a solid chance to be Indy's #1 and didn't close the deal. I would maybe give him a tryout but would be hesitant to sign him to the roster.

In a cocaine heartbeat. Anyone who says otherwise is just fooling themselves. This is someone who knows the Pats system and is better than Brian Hoyer. If you don't believe me all you need to do is look at the Colts depth chart last year. Jacoby is much better than a JAG in my opinion and has some untapped potential.

you'll be croaked of a marching powder overdose before this utter crack pipe dream comes true

If Brissett were willing to come here for Hoyer money, signing him would be the ultimate no-brainer.

That said, if I'm coach Belichick, and I suspect that I'm not, I'm giving the unproven kid on the rookie deal every chance in the world before I hand the keys to a higher cost QB who has proven to be a bottom third starter at best

Ahhhhh.....That makes the cheese more binding! Have you seen the tape on this kid at Auburn? He was UDFA at the best.

I'm all for giving a kid a break and back when Brady started his climb we were not atop the mountain but looking up. TB's tape was actually more significant at Michigan. I think there was a stigma of how Michigan QB's were not successful NFL QB's during that time.

Now we are one of the most successful Franchises ever. The combination kicked in for 20 years.

We as Fans have an uncompromising view of how the Patriots are built for success and I hope I am dead wrong about Stidham but frankly, he was awful his senior year at Auburn.

Trying to read some smoke signals here from Detroit just for amusement purposes.

Stafford's house is for sale in Detroit. The Trade speculation has been hanging on him for a year or better. Do Thuney and a 2021 #1 pick from the Pats sound like a good deal for Stafford from the Lions and Matty P? I think the Lions Fans would be resolved that this could happen.....Now I am not saying the QB situation there is intriguing after Stafford but.........perhaps the Lions Fan would love the see Newton in the Honolulu Blue?

I think Quinn and Matty P are on thin ice. A healthy Newton (I am NOT a Fan) could steal a game or two. Or...is new QB Chase Daniel a competent game manager for what could be a very strong Lions defense and a decent looking running offense with Swift and Johnson?

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Hey, why not try to talk Kliff Kingsbury out of the HC job in AZ? He'd be better than Hoyer!!!!! Gee whiz this sure is stupefying stumbelbum fun!

Ahhhhh.....That makes the cheese more binding! Have you seen the tape on this kid at Auburn? He was UDFA at the best.

I'm all for giving a kid a break and back when Brady started his climb we were not atop the mountain but looking up. TB's tape was actually more significant at Michigan. I think there was a stigma of how Michigan QB's were not successful NFL QB's during that time.

Now we are one of the most successful Franchises ever. The combination kicked in for 20 years.

We as Fans have an uncompromising view of how the Patriots are built for success and I hope I am dead wrong about Stidham but frankly, he was awful his senior year at Auburn.

Trying to read some smoke signals here from Detroit just for amusement purposes.

Stafford's house is for sale in Detroit. The Trade speculation has been hanging on him for a year or better. Do Thuney and a 2021 #1 pick from the Pats sound like a good deal for Stafford from the Lions and Matty P? I think the Lions Fans would be resolved that this could happen.....Now I am not saying the QB situation there is intriguing after Stafford but.........perhaps the Lions Fan would love the see Newton in the Honolulu Blue?

I think Quinn and Matty P are on thin ice. A healthy Newton (I am NOT a Fan) could steal a game or two. Or...is new QB Chase Daniel a competent game manager for what could be a very strong Lions defense and a decent looking running offense with Swift and Johnson?

Thoughts?
DW Toys
You're talking about Stidham here?

No brainer, of course. Colts should be starting him.

Yes, In my humble opinion he rotted for Auburn his Senior year.
Watch the tape.
He was Drafted on his Junior year abilities.
DW Toys
Can you elaborate? You saying he was horrible? No accurate? Bad decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots