PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jacoby Brissett, would you take him back if cut by the Colts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of the Colts, what a crap show over there. Brissett is worse than a JAG and they are paying him starter money to ride the bench behind 23 pick Philip Rivers who somehow went 5-11 with the uber talented Chargers to an offense in the Colts devoid of talent. They are my pick to finish worse than the Jags.

Speaking of the Colts, what a crap show over there. Brissett is worse than a JAG and they are paying him starter money to ride the bench behind 23 pick Philip Rivers who somehow went 5-11 with the uber talented Chargers to an offense in the Colts devoid of talent. They are my pick to finish worse than the Jags.

At first glance that looked like “23 kid Philip Rivers” lol

You seem to have forgotten that Dorsett played a pretty large role for a depth player in both the divisional round and the AFCCG, with a touchdown in each, on the way to winning the Superbowl. Again, for a non-starting player, that's not an unimpressive playoff run.

In fact I could be remembering this wrong but didn't Dorsett have literally the only receiving TDs in the entire Patriots playoff run that year? I know we used our RBs, especially Burkhead and Michel, to finish off a lot of drives in both games and I know both teams worked very hard to cancel out Gronk and Edelman. We used our receivers to get field position but didn't get many receiving TDs in the playoffs that year, those 2 might have been the only ones we had.

They traded was at the time our 3rd QB to a team that actually had room to play him, and got a guy who turned out to be significant in a Superbowl run the next year. you can call it what you want but to me, that was a win win trade.
This is dead on correct.

To me, Dorsett was a major disapointment. He showed such promise, occasionally - the Philly Super Bowl, the last two opening day games - but his complete disapearance from the offense around October became something of a tradition around here.

Still, one can argue that, without Dorsett, the Chiefs are celebrating a repeat and we're stuck at five Super Bowl wins. I don't care if Brissett won 10 games last year, a move that results in a Super Bowl win was the right move, and I make it 100 times out of 100.

Speaking of the Colts, what a crap show over there. Brissett is worse than a JAG

He isn't. Brissett is literally a JAG. He's a solid replacement level QB, won't carry you, won't usually be the reason you lose. Playin .500 ball for a team that was supposed to be carried by a superstar QB is literal JAG work and it's actually great work for an NFL backup. That's exactly what you hope a backup QB would do in that situation, and we all know it doesn't always pan out that way.

and they are paying him starter money to ride the bench behind 23 pick Philip Rivers who somehow went 5-11 with the uber talented Chargers to an offense in the Colts devoid of talent. They are my pick to finish worse than the Jags.

I still don't understand the Rivers signing. Has Jim Irsay's fingerprints all over it. If you believe in Eason you develop him while Brissett plays out his contract and your youngsters gain experience. If not you bring someone in longterm and cut Brissett. Feels like the kind of schizophrenic nonsense that happens to a team when there's a power struggle at the top;

If you decide need a guy to shore up the QB position I still don't go for a guy who fell apart last year.

In the same situation as the Colts I'd 100 times rather make a move for Andy Dalton, who isn't elite but usually manages to be productive and is actually pretty consistent considering the joke of an organization he's played for, rather than the burnt out shell of a guy whose career was littered with inconsistency and poor play when it mattered.

Last edited:
Yes, In my humble opinion he rotted for Auburn his Senior year.
Watch the tape.
He was Drafted on his Junior year abilities.
DW Toys
I've been saying this since he was draft.
Nick came out and basically said he was drafted bc of what he can do, not bc of what he can't do.

So yea it's obvious he was drafted bc of his JR year but that doesn't add up to a udfa grade. Not even close. That's a mid round prospect (3-5)
Sorry brother but that's not how you evaluate prospects. I mean do what you want but it's not objective or looking at the big picture.
You have to look at the whole, the collective while evaluating individuals. Landing spot & opportunity are as important as anything for QBs and Stidham didn't have much luck in college. Plenty of blame can be attributed to JS but he had very little help at times. Lack coaching and the players around him.

There was more than enough there for him to have a draftable grade. I've been a critic of his when it comes to certain parts of his game but saying he's udfa is just really far off.

NEP/ an NFL team. Probably the best overall or right up there with evaluating and picking a prospect where they're supposed to go drafted him in the 4th.

Zierlein has a backup, chance as a starter. I had a 3rd. Probably the best non-NFL types at grading prospects.

Draft network guys had a 5th-Day 3 grade on him.

I still don't understand the Rivers signing. Has Jim Irsay's fingerprints all over it. If you believe in Eason you develop him while Brissett plays out his contract and your youngsters gain experience. If not you bring someone in longterm and cut Brissett. Feels like the kind of schizophrenic nonsense that happens to a team when there's a power struggle at the top;

If you decide need a guy to shore up the QB position I still don't go for a guy who fell apart last year.

In the same situation as the Colts I'd 100 times rather make a move for Andy Dalton, who isn't elite but usually manages to be productive and is actually pretty consistent considering the joke of an organization he's played for, rather than the burnt out shell of a guy whose career was littered with inconsistency and poor play when it mattered.
Rivers was about Irsay wanting to sell tickets. Get a name so fans don't sit through another mediocre year of Brissett. I agree about the power struggle at the top. Ballard is a good GM. There is no way Rivers was his idea but perhaps he is Ok with it because it is for one year but holy cow, Brissett on starter money riding the bench and a washed up Rivers leading the team devoid of any real offensive talent save for the Oline.

Rivers was about Irsay wanting to sell tickets. Get a name so fans don't sit through another mediocre year of Brissett. I agree about the power struggle at the top. Ballard is a good GM. There is no way Rivers was his idea but perhaps he is Ok with it because it is for one year but holy cow, Brissett on starter money riding the bench and a washed up Rivers leading the team devoid of any real offensive talent save for the Oline.
Last I checked the Colts had a pretty good stable of running backs, but generally speaking I agree, bringing in Rivers speaks to a lack of coherent organizational direction

Last I checked the Colts had a pretty good stable of running backs, but generally speaking I agree, bringing in Rivers speaks to a lack of coherent organizational direction
They were literally crippled by Luck's retirement. They had a very solid roster last year that Luck could have competed with and most likely beat the Chiefs/Ravens. The Colts beat the Chiefs with Brissett so I think Ballard had the right combo of defensive prowess with an emerging running game and then you add in Luck and they would have been pretty tough. The guy just didn't have it mentally anymore with the injuries but now the Colts seem rudderless. Just swaying on the waves at the moment perhaps hoping another great QB falls into their laps. The South is actually a pretty good division save for the Jags.

I'll take Indy's top 8 WRs (out of 13 on the roster) ahead of our top 8, without hesitation.

Mechanics mechanics mechanics
For a NFL QB, it starts and finishes with mechanics

Brissett .... elongated windup, zero chance for NFL success

Rivers
Romo
Sanchez......three examples of shot put passers whose release point is below below the chin.
Two with moderate success, one highlighted by a butt fumble....all with passing limitations because release point is so low

Stidham.....serious concerns because mechanics were flawed coming out of college and on display in preseason....Brissettesque

For Stids to stick , he needs a serious mechanic’s makeover

I'll take Indy's top 8 WRs (out of 13 on the roster) ahead of our top 8, without hesitation.
So would I. I don't think that is saying much. Our receiving corp is awful.

Mechanics mechanics mechanics
For a NFL QB, it starts and finishes with mechanics

Brissett .... elongated windup, zero chance for NFL success

Rivers
Romo
Sanchez......three examples of shot put passers whose release point is below below the chin.
Two with moderate success, one highlighted by a butt fumble....all with passing limitations because release point is so low

Stidham.....serious concerns because mechanics were flawed coming out of college and on display in preseason....Brissettesque

For Stids to stick , he needs a serious mechanic’s makeover

Decision making, decision making, decision making. That's where it starts for an NFL QB.

I've been saying this since he was draft.
Nick came out and basically said he was drafted bc of what he can do, not bc of what he can't do.

So yea it's obvious he was drafted bc of his JR year but that doesn't add up to a udfa grade. Not even close. That's a mid round prospect (3-5)
Sorry brother but that's not how you evaluate prospects. I mean do what you want but it's not objective or looking at the big picture.
You have to look at the whole, the collective while evaluating individuals. Landing spot & opportunity are as important as anything for QBs and Stidham didn't have much luck in college. Plenty of blame can be attributed to JS but he had very little help at times. Lack coaching and the players around him.

There was more than enough there for him to have a draftable grade. I've been a critic of his when it comes to certain parts of his game but saying he's udfa is just really far off.

NEP/ an NFL team. Probably the best overall or right up there with evaluating and picking a prospect where they're supposed to go drafted him in the 4th.

Zierlein has a backup, chance as a starter. I had a 3rd. Probably the best non-NFL types at grading prospects.

Draft network guys had a 5th-Day 3 grade on him.
I think what people miss, and the reason I am optimistic about Stidham is the way the patriots approach the qb position.
It’s all about seeing the right thing and making the right decision that is drilled into your head. We have been fooled by Brady taking the mental part of QB to a level
no one has. No one will ever be Tom Brady. But the patriots actually strive to take decision making away from the qb. Read this, do that, get it out quick.
Stidham will have a thought process drilled into his head and will carry out the play design.
We aren’t going to lose games because of the qb because we are going to reduce the responsibility of the qb.
That means the team will still contend, as it always would have Brady or not.
The difference in brady isn’t a November game in buffalo.
The difference is when you are in a big game against a strong opponent those games are often won by players taking the team on their shoulders to make the critical plays that decide games.

I've been wondering if the Colts are going to cut Jacoby Brissett this summer. They have Phillip Rivers, Chad Kelly and drafted Jacob Eason. I'm wondering if they feel Eason is their future, and obviously Rivers is their present. Would you take Brissett back if he were cut from the Colts ?

I definitely would. I feel he's become a pretty solid QB. Thoughts ?
Poll or it didn't happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back