PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jack Easterby Blames Kraft Family for Texans Turmoil [Update: Texans Have Fired Him]

Granted it's probably just Florio making something out of nothing, but he said: "With Easterby gone, it’s unclear how safe the jobs of Caserio and Smith are, and what the future of the franchise holds. The Texans don’t have much in the way of talent, but they are in great salary cap shape in 2023 and have extra first- and third-round picks in 2023 and extra first- and fourth-round picks in 2024, thanks to the Deshaun Watson trade. That could make Houston an attractive place for a front office executive who wants to run the show as the team attempts to rebuild."

I wonder if he gets booted out of there if we'll wind up as some assistant GM in Las Vegas long enough to get canned with McDaniels?
It would be weird timing to get rid of the GM this time of year. The GM has all their college scouts out in the field making up reports on the various college prospects according to the system installed by the GM (i.e. heavily influenced by the NE system). Sh!t-canning Nick now would pretty much mean an entire tear down of that system and start up of the new guy's system right when it's in full operation. Also, all the high quality NFL-level scouts are currently employed. It's far more typical to do this right after the draft when all such personnel have just completed their season and their contracts may be up for renewal.

Basically, the Texans are more or less committed to Nick for this draft cycle, even if it means "wasting" this draft cycle. It's hard to picture how they could pull in a new GM at this point of the season and expect better results than just keeping Nick. But this is the McNairs we're talking about, so anything is possible.

It's far more likely that Easterby is a convenient fall guy / scapegoat for the 1-3-1 result. Maybe that's why you have a "character coach", it's just one guy you can fire when things go bad.

BTW the Rasputin analogy rings true to me.

Like a moth to a flame the Texans will be back to poach someone else from the Pats.

I respect McClain but 5-16-1 (so far) is not the "right track".
To add some context, not having a quarterback will submarine anyone. Tomlin is learning that right now after Belichick went through it a couple of years ago.

The Texans are dealing with that and just got out from underneath the albatross that has hamstrung them. With him gone they can start rebuilding that offense again and by all accounts, the culture and outlook there seems to be improving. That in and of itself is a good start.

Last edited:
Check out this Houston Sports Talk Radio take on Easterby. Includes a claim Kraft wanted him to clone Belichick.

• Wow!
Reactions: Ian
What’s your issue with Kraft making billions off of real estate? Just curious.
Particularly since that ISN'T where they made their money. Maybe some of it, more recently, but that isn't where they built the foundation of the Kraft Group.

Are you not from the US? In places like Europe, for example, there is far less religiosity. But in America, the overwhelming majority of people are Christian. I live in a very small town of about 15,000 people. There has to be at least a dozen churches here. And even more in the surrounding towns, all with much smaller populations. It feels like there is one on every street.
If we could just convert them all into mental hospitals/psychiatric clinics we could kill two birds with one stone.
Citation please.

Jack Easterby Apparently Once Claimed He Left New England Because Kraft Wanted Him to ‘Clone Bill Belichick’
Ian Logue
Just when you thought you've heard it all, it sounds like former Texans executive vice president of football operations and New England character coach Jack Easterby spouted some bizarre claims during his time in Houston.

The post Jack Easterby Apparently Once Claimed He Left New England Because Kraft Wanted Him to ‘Clone Bill Belichick’ appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this Houston Sports Talk Radio take on Easterby. Includes a claim Kraft wanted him to clone Belichick.

I can't even believe that this is real...I listened to it, and it's just shocking.

I just transcribed it here and credited @raduray for pointing it out for anyone who can't listen and would rather read exactly what Locker said Easterby told him:

The erstwhile character coach. Good God. :rolleyes:

It took this long to fire him? Players like JJ Watt didn't like him and thought his presence was pointless since he was hired.

I don't see how Caserio could be in trouble considering he was the one that essentially went toe-to-toe with Watson when he demanded to be traded, only to find out that the QB had a shady history off the field.

He was patient throughout the process and could have forced a deal sooner, but he didn't, and it paid off. Now the Texans are sitting on a nice stockpile of picks and a lot of cap space. Firing him would essentially be booting out the guy who set the table for their potential future success, which wouldn't make a lot of sense. Unless Caserio is fiercely loyal to Davis Mills and/or Lovie Smith and ownership disagrees, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
I'd thank him for whatever merit he thinks he deserves in aquiring the picks. No chance in hell I let that man actually make the picks though.

I'd thank him for whatever merit he thinks he deserves in aquiring the picks. No chance in hell I let that man actually make the picks though.
I don't know if he had the final say here or not when it came to draft picks. I recall reading something about that possibly not being the case, but I don't remember if that was/wasn't true.

I don't know if he had the final say here or not when it came to draft picks. I recall reading something about that possibly not being the case, but I don't remember if that was/wasn't true.
Still wouldn't let him. Just in case.

Didn't he push to get Caserio there? I wonder if Caserio's seat is heating up, too?

First thing that came to my mind too... If Little Nicky Caesar's seat isn't getting warmer, it should... Dude sucks.

I respect McClain but 5-16-1 (so far) is not the "right track".
To be fair that team is in the early stages of a complete rebuild and at least has the ammo to bring in some blue chip players. Caserio rid himself of that creep Watson and got three 1's, a 2, and a 3 for him. From what I have read their rookies seems to be playing relatively well and they still have Metchie in mothballs.

To be fair that team is in the early stages of a complete rebuild and at least has the ammo to bring in some blue chip players. Caserio rid himself of that creep Watson and got three 1's, a 2, and a 3 for him. From what I have read their rookies seems to be playing relatively well and they still have Metchie in mothballs.
Caserio is a terrible talent evaluator. We shall see where this goes.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back