PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabrill Peppers at 32?

As a safety he can
You said he can do anything.
He could be a decent safety but will have trouble in coverage. He is not the versatile player he was in college when he gets to the NFL.
That's what I said and you responded "peppers can do anything"

As a Michigan fan, it would make my draft day if they took Peppers. I just don't see it happening.

You said he can do anything.
He could be a decent safety but will have trouble in coverage. He is not the versatile player he was in college when he gets to the NFL.
That's what I said and you responded "peppers can do anything"

You said peppers is a safety in the NFL. That's what I was responding too. He can do anything at that position. I think he'll be just fine in coverage. He's athletic, and he's fluid enough. And he's strong and physical

I don't know if I would even take him at 64.

Give me someone like Zach Cunningham, Chris Wormley, Taco Charlton, David Njoku, Tim Williams, Christian McCaffery, Hasson Reddick or Carlos Watkins at 32.

Hell in terms of Safeties I would rather have Budda Baker, Marcus Williams, Marcus Maye, Josh Jones, Rayshawn Jenkins, Obi Melifonwu and Eddie Jackson over Peppers.

There are some great names on this list you put together, and I agree 100%. These guys offer us a more complete player.

It looks like Tim williams will need to be the best interviewer on the planet to not fall to us at #32. And while he will never be confused with Derrick Thomas, he would be a steal for us at #32, if bb keeps the pick.

He sucks? I guess it's a lock for round 2 then.

He's got talent and is an electrifying returner but i'm not sure what his position is in the NFL, his coverage skills are questionable to hold up in the secondary and he's too small to play linebacker in the NFL.

If you're going to take him in the first round you better have a good plan on how you're going to use him, seems more like a second rounder to me.

If they take him i'd assume it'd be to replace Chung long term and he'd play safety mostly in the box but who knows.

It was difficult to asses his coverage skills. He didn't play alot of coverage positions. He played LB because Michigan didn't have any linebackers that could run or cover. He was a good blitzer from the LB position because he was so quick. Obviously a great return guy with great speed, good vision and smart decisions.
If he was a great route runner with pass catching skills added to his return value he would be a good pick. Drafting in the first round just for punt returns is not a good thought.

Yes, and Darboh is a great guy and terrific receiver.

. I think he'll be just fine in coverage.

Peppers allowed 20 rec on 26 targets and had 1 PD all season.

He had 1 INT his whole Michigan career and that wasn't him making a play, it was him being in the right place for a ball that was tipped.

And he's strong and physical

He lacks the size to consistently shed blocks and that was proven because most of his impact plays come from being unblocked.

His nfl ceiling is as a Kick Returner and a 2-down S/LB that plays forward, not backward.

He had 1 INT his whole Michigan career and that wasn't him making a play, it was him being in the right place for a ball that was tipped.

He lacks the size to consistently shed blocks and that was proven because most of his impact plays come from being unblocked.

His nfl ceiling is as a Kick Returner and a 2-down S/LB that plays forward, not backward.
That doesn't sound like a #1 pick to me.

Peppers is a safety in the NFL. He isn't going to play offense. I suppose he could return kicks and will probably be good on special teams coverage units.
He is severely overrated because of his versatility at the NCAA level that won't translate to Sunday's.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for one of Belichick's 2nd round throwaways lol

He's playing linebacker. Look at his stats for safety

He doesn't quite do it for me as a first round pick, but his return skills should be acknowledged. He will produce at some level even if he doesn't quite live up to his billing on defense. There's some built in insurance with him is what I'm trying to say.

When talking about Jabrill Peppers I think people often misuse the word "versatility". Versatility is being able to do multiple things/roles well. The concern with Peppers is not being able to do anything well enough (at the nfl level). There's a difference.

I don't see it. The Patriots already have what Peppers would give them in Chung. But that would be his role in the NFL: in-the-box SS responsible for run support and coverage on TE's and backs out of the backfield. Anything else and he would struggle in this league. If we're going after Michigan prospects, I would MUCH rather have Charleton, but I doubt he falls to the Pats.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back