PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I've really got to wonder if some of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
have really been paying attention to the Patriots the last 15 years.

Yes, BB & Co have owned the off season, so far, on paper.....

but this nonsense of "loading up for TB's last years" or "going all in" for next year is just nonsense

BB & the Pats have always tried to put the best team on paper each year with the goal of winning the superbowl each and every year.....and he has shown a propensity to not mortgage the future to get it done

quite simply he works the system better then anyone, he has a plan, a system if you will, and he attempts to build the best team possible given all of the variables that are in play.....and he won't sacrifice long term viability of the franchise within that process

what you are seeing this offseason is nothing more than peak BB Patriots, with everything falling more or less into place for them.....nothing new, nothing different, just at the top of their game

One of the best things about BB is he isn't married to any 1 way of doing things typically. We talk about his off season style like it is the only way he would ever do things but that is not the case. It is what he usually does cause it made sense those years and most years for them.

This year he is trading away a first pick and signing a big time FA on minute 1 cause it made sense for them. They have a ton of cap space and see the player as a bit undervalued due to a down year and believe in this years draft #32 isn't that important. Also they probably project the cap to go up and want to get some big contracts under their belt now and watch them quickly adjust to good value.

could someone translate this for me, please?

"I can't argue with the point that you're making because deep down I know you're right so instead I'm going to try to make this about censorship."

but this nonsense of "loading up for TB's last years" or "going all in" for next year is just nonsense

BB & the Pats have always tried to put the best team on paper each year with the goal of winning the superbowl each and every year.....and he has shown a propensity to not mortgage the future to get it done

quite simply he works the system better then anyone, he has a plan, a system if you will, and he attempts to build the best team possible given all of the variables that are in play.....and he won't sacrifice long term viability of the franchise within that process

what you are seeing this offseason is nothing more than peak BB Patriots, with everything falling more or less into place for them.....nothing new, nothing different, just at the top of their game

Yup well said.

My point was I don't think anybody is actually implying Bill is pissing away the future to win now.

But like Deus said, I think you can reasonably conclude they are being more aggressive than normal. Only the fourth time they've signed a top defensive free agent to a top dollar contract, and the first time ever they've traded a first round draft pick for a player.

One of the best things about BB is he isn't married to any 1 way of doing things typically. We talk about his off season style like it is the only way he would ever do things but that is not the case. It is what he usually does cause it made sense those years and most years for them.

This year he is trading away a first pick and signing a big time FA on minute 1 cause it made sense for them. They have a ton of cap space and see the player as a bit undervalued due to a down year and believe in this years draft #32 isn't that important. Also they probably project the cap to go up and want to get some big contracts under their belt now and watch them quickly adjust to good value.

So what you are saying is that BB has changed his game plan to compete against the current market conditions, including cap space, available FAs, and the Pats' draft position.

Maybe BB should try using different game plans depending on the teams they play as well.

Hmmm....

:rolleyes: :cool:

This is Biz as usual. Look at the factors

They had a ton of cap room. Gotta spend that money
The WR need help.
Good players are gonna cost ya.

Its nothing more than that. If the Pats went bargin shopping (which is the best way to approach this) then there would be the "other" narative about how BB wont pay players what they are worth blah blah blah

You cant win with this crew.

Last edited:
Yea I don't see the "loading up" or "going for broke future be damned" attitude either.

However unlike other recent years I do see the team being more agressive in free agency and trades this offseason.

When we dig deeper into the actual contracts and cap hits and trades it is "managed agressiveness" and prices at-market and not "overspends" so to speak.
Well the trade for cooks is a little unusual, i don't remember if BB made a trade like that before.

Well the trade for cooks is a little unusual, i don't remember if BB made a trade like that before.

No but it was the #32 pick in the draft so its basically a borderline 2nd rounder and they have traded 2nd rounders before.

Either way you are right. They gave up a lot for a WR and he has NEVER done that.

No but it was the #32 pick in the draft so its basically a borderline 2nd rounder and they have traded 2nd rounders before.

Either way you are right. They gave up a lot for a WR and he has NEVER done that.

Closest comp is probably when they traded up to #36 in the 2006 draft to select Chad Jackson. Let's hope this turns out better.

For the most part, Belichick makes the moves that produce all the winning.

But there have been instances when he hasn't.

No one will ever ever convince me that trading Deion Branch, and replacing him with Reche Caldwell, was the right move. It wasn't.

Nor was it an example of Belichick putting the best possible team on the field.

Closest comp is probably when they traded up to #36 in the 2006 draft to select Chad Jackson. Let's hope this turns out better.
It can't be worse.

Seems to me BB might realize a rookie WR being productive is possible (Branch, JE11 and MM) but HIGHLY unlikely.

For the most part, Belichick makes the moves that produce all the winning.

But there have been instances when he hasn't.

No one will ever ever convince me that trading Deion Branch, and replacing him with Reche Caldwell, was the right move. It wasn't.

Nor was it an example of Belichick putting the best possible team on the field.

And you can never calculate the effect that had on the whole operation. The Patriot Way.

If Belichick holds on to Garoppolo, as I think he will, then he's basically decided that, for this year at least, there is a better value and a better fit, based on their performance in the NFL, among available Roster Players than among potential 1st or 2nd round draftees.

Thinking about it, that's a very rational, if unconventional, way of using Draft picks...but we all know that BB has never been constrained by convention.

Two things to remember: one, the NFL is a copy cat league; two, Bill Belichick lives, rent free, in the heads of many GM's and HC's.

If this is how it plays out and if the strategy is viewed as successful, then I think we will see a half dozen GM's or Personnel Directors doing the same thing next year.

Two things make this off season unusual (1) trading early picks for a WR (2) paying a big long term contract for an elite CB. Here's my take, and it all ties to Butler.

I believe the rumors that BB and NO had a trade both sides liked are true, involving Butler and picks for Cooks.

Trading for Cooks is a "Danny Ainge" opportunity: sourcing a young star entering his prime. Unusual for a young, veteran, proven star caliber player on his rookie contract to be available for trade. Teams don't usually trade players like that. And what makes it more unusual, Belichick has seen this player in TC up close. Big time assets involved here.

I do believe the rumors that Butler was involved in the trade, because the Saints need help on D and Butler is the caliber of player that would attract them. I imagine they agreed to a deal that both sides liked involving Butler. And in true BB fashion, he has his solution at CB worked out too: sign Gilmore to a big deal to replace Butler.

But the problem is Butler hasn't signed his tender. He can't be traded until he does. Complicating things, Cooks has a roster bonus due on (Day 5?) of free agency, and NO has to trade him before then to avoid the cap hit. Plus, Gilmore needs to be signed asap or they likely lose him to another team.

So, this entire complex deal gets hung up because Butler won't sign his damn tender. Cinderella is going to turn into a pumpkin.

To rescue the deal, BB agrees to do it in two parts. Step One: trade Cooks for draft picks and sign Gilmore. Step Two: once Butler has signed, recover the picks by sending Butler.

For BB, Step One doesn't satisfy him without Step Two. Step Two hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting for it. Unless Butler decides to sit out for the 2017 season, he doesn't have much choice except to sign his tender. Once he does, BB will send him to NO and recover some of that draft value. Bill is taking a risk, here.

What feels weird is that we're looking at the in-between reality while Cooks and Butler are on the same roster-- and the optics are that BB is mortgaging his draft class to acquire elite veterans. Step One taken alone is admittedly out of character for BB.

I think in reality the game is still being played out. This is not what the roster is intended to be. BB will recover some of that draft value and return to form.

Of course, to believe this you have to believe that BB is motivated to get rid of Butler--which I think most fans will have a problem with.

Myself, I think BB has no patience to negotiate with players who over estimate their contract value. If he can't get Butler on the terms he wants, he'll sell high and bring in someone else to play the position. That is pure 100% unsentimental Belichick.

could someone translate this for me, please?

Ναι, BB & Co έχουν ιδιοκτησία της off season, μέχρι στιγμής, σε χαρτί .....

Αυτή η ανοησία των «φόρτωση για τα τελευταία χρόνια της φυματίωσης» ή «τα ρέστα» για τον επόμενο χρόνο είναι απλά ανοησίες

εάν η συμφωνία είναι σωστή και κάνει τους πατριώτες καλύτερα τώρα και κάτω από το δρόμο, θα τραβήξει τη σκανδάλη (νομίζω ότι πρέπει να είναι το Browns # 12 και ένα άλλο υψηλό στρογγυλή επιλογή τουλάχιστον)

Έτσι, δεν μιλάμε γι 'αυτό μέχρι θέλω εσείς να μιλήσω γι' αυτό. Κατανοητή.

Ποια είναι η άποψή σας; Κλείσει το σκασμό για το μέλλον πατριώτες; Μην μιλήσουμε μέχρι να είστε μιλήσει;

Αυτή η βάση οπαδών χτίστηκε σε παππούδες μας και οι πατεράδες πλάτες, τίποτα πέρα από αυτό, όπως οι Steelers, Γίγαντες, και Redskins είχε. Αυτό το fanbase έχει την προσοχή από το 1960. 15 χρόνια; Δοκιμάστε να ανταγωνίζονται με τρεις από τις κορυφαίες ομάδες στις αντίστοιχες αθλητικές τους κατά τη διάρκεια του χρόνου (Σέλτικς, Red Sox, Bruins), και καταλήγει ως το franchise αποκορύφωμα. Έκαναν ότι όλα με τους οπαδούς που ξεκίνησε βλέποντας πριν από 15 χρόνια;

Υπάρχει κατανόηση του ποδοσφαίρου, και εκεί είναι η κατανόηση αυτό που οι New England Patriots σημαίνει για το ποδόσφαιρο στη Νέα Αγγλία.

I never thought otherwise and doubt many of us did. But if you're listening to Felger & Mazz, I can understand why you posted this

i think pats accidently tuned in felger & mazz and just trying to prove them wrong about lacking of spending so theyre just splurging right now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes