PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's official: Roger Goodell's suspension of Brady failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer of Thor

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to bring this up again as a big FU to the commish. He spent $5m+ in fees on the Brady suspension. While it got him the Article 46 authority he wanted, from the Pats perspective it got him:

- No impact on AFC playoff race. Pats earned #1 seed anyway, and only lost to a Buffalo team during the suspension that didn't make the playoffs.

- The backup QB Garoppolo now has real game experience, and wouldn't be coming in mostly cold should the unthinkable happen during the playoffs.

- Said backup QB could wind up bringing a package that could mostly offset the draft pick theft. If Goodell didn't continue to pursue the suspension, this never happens.

There needs to be a Hitler video for this backfiring. FU Roger. I'm hoping that the Pats can stomp through the divisional round, and have the AFC title game well in hand in the 4th quarter, so the Gilette fans can chant, "Where is Roger?" again during the 4th quarter, forcing the network to address it and further embarrass Goodell.

Last edited:
If the Pats win the Superbowl this year, it will be the first one that should get an asterisk.

*Won regardless of being the victims of a league initiated witch hunt that cost the Pats a 1st round pick and starting QB for four games, giving the entire league an unfair competitive advantage, for an offense that never occurred.

I think it was a complete back fire on Goodell and may be a blessing in disguise for TB and us Pats fans as he has 4 less games of wear and tear on his body going into the playoffs!!

I don't think we'll get the draft pick value back but Jimmy's value increased enough that it's not a huge big deal.

14-2. I was hoping for 2-2 in the first four games.

Last edited:
We don't know the hit of the #1 pick.

That's the one that really hurts.

That's why I always wonder if the one from Spygate was a stud defensive player or impact offensive player does the team win in 2011, 2012 or 2013.

Jerk

Losing picks has hurt but I wouldn't change anything. I think the adversity they had to overcome those first four game has paid off big time.

We now have two capable backups and a developed running game and it just made these guys mentally tough, them versus the world.

If anything that dumb ass Goodell did us a favor and it has completely blown up in his face.

I'll forgive him if he gives us TWO first rounders.

Also, he must kneel in front of Brady and Belichick when presenting them with trophies in the SB51 postgame. Bend the knee, Roger, and we'll forgive your jackassery.

Losing picks has hurt but I wouldn't change anything. I think the adversity they had to overcome those first four game has paid off big time.

We now have two capable backups and a developed running game and it just made these guys mentally tough, them versus the world.

If anything that dumb ass Goodell did us a favor and it has completely blown up in his face.

I can't agree with that. The loss of the foundational building block, in the form of a 1st round pick was outrageous. The fact that the Pats were able to overcome it this year doesn't change that.

The stipulation that the Pats would lose the higher of the picks if they traded for one in the same round, is unprecedented in it's vindictiveness.

That wasn't a punishment that was an assault.

roger%2Bgoodell%2Bdeflate%2Bgate.jpg

I can't agree with that. The loss of the foundational building block, in the form of a 1st round pick was outrageous. The fact that the Pats were able to overcome it this year doesn't change that.

The stipulation that the Pats would lose the higher of the picks if they traded for one in the same round, is unprecedented in it's vindictiveness.

That wasn't a punishment that was an assault.

I agree and I think it has impacted the way they draft. Look at this year. So far Thuney and Mitchell look like 1st rounders. Draft better and you can offset that a bit. Still hurts though.

There needs to be a Hitler video for this backfiring. FU Roger. I'm hoping that the Pats can stomp through the divisional round, and have the AFC title game well in hand in the 4th quarter, so the Gilette fans can chant, "Where is Roger?" again during the 4th quarter, forcing the network to address it and further embarrass Goodell.

If the Patriots host the AFCCG, and I don't want to look past the divisional round, Goodell's attendance or non-attendance will be interesting to see. I believe his habit is to alternate the conference championship game he attends. He was at Gillette for the 2014 AFCCG and in Carolina for the 2015 NFCCG, so he should be attending the AFC game this year. He skipped out on appearing at the Patriots 2015 home opener, so there's a good chance that he'll find a reason to be at the NFCCG this year if the Patriots are hosting the championship game this year.

Regarding the sanctions imposed on the Patriots, they failed in hurting the team on the field this year. The only real damage they did was to Brady's stats. He would have easily cracked 4000 yards and 30 TDs if he played 16 games. The loss of the #1 pick, though, will be felt for a while. The guy could have been a bust, but, as robertweathers pointed out, we won't what the team might have accomplished if the Patriots had drafted a starter in the 2016 draft.

We don't know the hit of the #1 pick.

That's the one that really hurts.

That's why I always wonder if the one from Spygate was a stud defensive player or impact offensive player does the team win in 2011, 2012 or 2013.

Jerk

Agree which is why I focused on the appeal of Brady's suspension. Goodell could have just given up after Berman, and have just walked away with the draft picks. Instead he keeps the story in the news for 12 more months which caused the majority of fans and media to scrutinize further and realize Goodell was in the wrong here (even if they're thrilled about the result and feel it's "payback" for what they "should have" gotten during SpyGate....). And he caused no immediate extra damage to the Patriots, while giving their insurance policy some actual live game experience, and gave the possibility of him turning into assets to help lessen the draft pick penalty they had.

As for 2008, just do what I do to numb the pain: assume the Pats traded pick 31 into 2009, and then used the 2009 pick on Percy Harvin who then has injury and attitude issues and doesn't live up to his potential....

I wouldn't underestimate the petty vindictiveness of Goodell and minions to try something at the last minute to try and derail the Pats....it,s not like they have an owner who has their back.....

Any normal franchise probably starts 2-2 at best. We started 3-1 and then ended 14-2. If Goodell was trying to craft the toughest mentally team in NE in a long time then he did well. Our Patriots are out for blood and seem to be so mentally and physically into this. They want that trophy and every playoff team better fear the Brady.

Goodell wins unless the Patriots win the SB... F him

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft